AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV only has 2 Component video inputs, but I have 3 HD sources. I want to utilize the RGB/VGA input for my cable tv. Here is the list of issues I have questions about if I was to utilize this connection.

1. Where can I find a Component Video to RGB/VGA cable to hook up my cable box to the TV? My cable box does not have an RGB/VGA output.

2. The TV manual states that the RGB/VGA input only accepts 1080i. This is great for my HD channels but what happens to the analog channels?

3. If the analog channels don't display through the RGB/VGA connection, then my other option was to use an S-Video connection for the analog channels (both the RGB/VGA and S-video would be on the same Video 3 in order to avoid having to change the Video Input on the TV every time I want to switch to HDTV material). My question is this: Will the TV revert to the S-Video signal when it does not sense a 1080i signal through the RGB/VGA connection or will it just get confused and think I am sending a bad signal to the RGB/VGA and not display anything??

Thanks for the help,

Derek

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
You would need a transcoder to connect component video to an RGB connection.

Most HD cable boxes will upconvert analog to 1080i, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Are you sure none of your HD sources has a VGA/RGB output? I have 4 HD sources and 3 of them have RGB.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Nope, that cable is an RGB-sync on green cable. It will work for devices that support both RGB and component out of the RGB output (like I scan). However, it will not transcode between RGB and component.

Feel free to try it though...I may not know what I'm talking about;)...YMMV

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hey, it sure is nice to see a thread about this set. I remember when it was really hot, only a couple short years ago, along with it's Elite counterpart. I bought it in March of 2003 and I'm still thrilled with it.

I have tried to find a set that will do the widescreen stretch on 4:3 material as well as the 643HD but I haven't seen one yet. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. :) Too happy with this set.

Watching the Red Sox creaming the Yankees 6-0 in game 7 in HD right now. Awesome.

Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.