AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here so please take it easy on me...I am in the very beginning stages of piecing together a ht system. I've read this forum for months (I researched it extensively when trying to decide what plasma to purchase which ended up being the Pioneer 5070). Next I'd like to get a new receiver, speakers & sub. I've been lurking on the subwoofer thread & my choice based on numerous comments is the hsu vft-2 mk 3. So now my question about the receiver...does anyone have experience/knowledge with the Pioneer 816 being capable of powering this sub to it's capacity? I have not yet decided on the speakers so I can't specifically take that into consideration yet. The other receivers I'm looking at are the Onkyo 504, Yamaha 5960 or possibly the Pioneer 1016 but I'm not really that concerned with hdmi. The other deciding factor is I'd like to get it at BB due to coupons & reward discounts that I've obtained & they do not carry Onkyo.

My living area where the system will be set up is 4000 cubic feet & it will mainly be used for ht, very little music or gaming. Let me know if I need to give any other specs but my main question is will the 816 suffice w/ that sub?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Clovers32, I may be just as n00b as you, but I seem to be in a position to help. At the moment I have just about everything on your shopping list in my room.

As for any receiver "powering [a] sub to it's capacity", I'm not sure that's how it works. The HSU sub is a "powered" sub and has its own amp and power cord. So i think the 816k or 504 should be able to handle it. My understanding is that certain recievers may have more/better control over the bass signal, but similar volumes when using a powered sub.

Right now i've got my VTF-2 MK3 hooked up to an Onkyo 674, though I do have a 816 (from BB!) sitting right next to it. I was planning test out the 816 this weekend before throwing it on ebay anyway, so can let you know the finer interactions between the two if you wish.

Re: the VTF-2 MK3.. it completely devestates my 1500cu.ft. room. I have it in the attic of a brick house and the family could feel/hear it in the basement 3 floors below during a jurassic park demo. I think you'd be happy with it, though 4000 is at the upper end. Check out the forums at HSU's website to see what they recommend for you.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Don't worry about the receiver being able to power the sub. It doesn't. The mk3 along with any other powered subwoofer has it's own amp so there is no load on the receivers amps as long as you set the speakers to small. So basically any receiver would work.

Now for the receiver, if you're looking at the 816 and can swing it even if HDMI isn't an issue I wold move up to the 1016. It's a better receiver all the way around, better amps, etc. Another good choice in the price range would be the Yammy 5960. Those are probably your best 2 to consider at the price range from there. Among those two would be preference. If you're wanting to stay in the price range of the 816 I would look at the refurb 504 from shoponkyo.com. It comes with the same 1 year waranty as the 816, doesn't have some bells and whistles the 816 has like OSD and auto setup but imo is a better bang for the buck and probably would save you some $$ even with your BB credits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood966 /forum/post/0

Clovers32, I may be just as n00b as you, but I seem to be in a position to help. At the moment I have just about everything on your shopping list in my room.

As for any receiver "powering [a] sub to it's capacity", I'm not sure that's how it works. The HSU sub is a "powered" sub and has its own amp and power cord. So i think the 816k or 504 should be able to handle it. My understanding is that certain recievers may have more/better control over the bass signal, but similar volumes when using a powered sub.

Right now i've got my VTF-2 MK3 hooked up to an Onkyo 674, though I do have a 816 (from BB!) sitting right next to it. I was planning test out the 816 this weekend before throwing it on ebay anyway, so can let you know the finer interactions between the two if you wish.

Re: the VTF-2 MK3.. it completely devestates my 1500cu.ft. room. I have it in the attic of a brick house and the family could feel/hear it in the basement 3 floors below during a jurassic park demo. I think you'd be happy with it, though 4000 is at the upper end. Check out the forums at HSU's website to see what they recommend for you.

jwood, thanks for taking the time to reply to the "helpless female"!! And what a great coincidence that you are in the position to assist me by having basically the same set up that I'm looking at!
"Powering the sub to it's capacity" is merely my generic terminology of trying to get my question across...I guess I technically worded it incorrectly since the sub is powered itself, but I'm glad you got the gist of my post nevertheless.
What initiated my question was that I emailed hsu & the good Dr recommended the Onkyo 504 for the fact that it has better bass management. However, one of the things that sold me on the Pioneer at a glance is I really like the auto setup which the 504 does not offer (plus BB doesn't carry it) & I would have to look at the 604 for auto setup. If you could test the 816 on the sub this weekend, I would be very grateful. I was hoping to go out shopping tomorrow eve to make the receiver purchase (coupon good for this weekend) but I can hold off if necessary. By the way, I know this belongs in a different forum but what speakers are you using, since we seem to have similar taste??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

Don't worry about the receiver being able to power the sub. It doesn't. The mk3 along with any other powered subwoofer has it's own amp so there is no load on the receivers amps as long as you set the speakers to small. So basically any receiver would work.

Now for the receiver, if you're looking at the 816 and can swing it even if HDMI isn't an issue I wold move up to the 1016. It's a better receiver all the way around, better amps, etc. Another good choice in the price range would be the Yammy 5960. Those are probably your best 2 to consider at the price range from there. Among those two would be preference. If you're wanting to stay in the price range of the 816 I would look at the refurb 504 from shoponkyo.com. It comes with the same 1 year waranty as the 816, doesn't have some bells and whistles the 816 has like OSD and auto setup but imo is a better bang for the buck and probably would save you some $$ even with your BB credits.

Thanks jakeman! Sorry about my generic terminology about being able to power the sub. I originally started out looking at the 1016, then decided I didn't need all of that & wanted to save a bit by going w/ the 816 instead. I hadn't planned on spending so much on a sub & was going to go w/ the bic h-100 but changed my mind, which I'm sure I'll do again!!
I think the 1016 is going to be difficult to track down locally so I may end up going w/ the Yammy. Do you have any idea how it does w/ bass management?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
These receivers handle bass management the same way, no issues with any of them. The only bass management issues in receiers right now are some HDMI receivers which pass audio through HDMI, the 1016 doesn't pass audio through HDMI so it's not an issue there. Here is a thread on the yammy HTR-5960/RXV-659 which are the same receiver. Which BB carries at the same price as the 1016.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=733674

If you want to stay in the price range of the 816, I've demoed the 816 as well as the 504. The 504 doesn't have auto setup and a few other bells and whistles the 816 has. But auto setup rarely if ever sets up the receiver to optimal settings and you usually have to go in and tweak it anyway, personally I wouldn't let the auto setup be an issue. I don't know how much BB credits you have but you can get the 504 shipped here for $159.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=1

imo it's the best bang for buck receiver out there. Nothing wrong with the 816 I just prefer onkyos sound but that's preference, you won't go wrong with any of these receivers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I brought up the bass management issue is that when I emailed hsu about using the 816, Dr. Hsu recommended the onkyo 504 b/c pioneers don't handle the bass as well. Hopefully I can't go wrong w/ any of them...just trying to make a decision & get it all assembled but I'll keep looking. Thanks so much for your input & assistance, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers32 /forum/post/0

The reason I brought up the bass management issue is that when I emailed hsu about using the 816, Dr. Hsu recommended the onkyo 504 b/c pioneers don't handle the bass as well. Hopefully I can't go wrong w/ any of them...just trying to make a decision & get it all assembled but I'll keep looking. Thanks so much for your input & assistance, I really appreciate it.

No problem, I'm sure Dr Hsu knows more than I do. But I've tried the Onkyo 504, 604, Pioneer 515, 516, 816 and 1016 and didn't have any issues with any of them as far as bass management. I prefered the Onkyos as far as sound quality but as I said earlier that's preference. At any rate I do agree with him on his recomendation, even not cosidering bass managment. It's cheaper, comparable preformance the main difference is the OSD and auto setup on the pio, which I haven't been impressed with auto setup on any receiver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Clovers32, I just setup the 816 w/ my VTF-2 MK3 this morning. Pretty easy auto-setup features, and it sounds fine with the sub (though auto-setup left the bass a little on the hot side - "hot" = slightly louder than usual).

Of note, neither (pio/onkyo) auto setup drastically improved my enjoyment of the sound. It just as good as the "auto" setup i did with my ears and the 504's test tones.

However, I agree with Jakeman02 on the Pioneer sound. Overall the 816's just doesn't sound as good to me as the Onkyo 504 or 674. Subjectively speaking, the Onkyos had a "warmer" more natural sound to me.

The other features of the 816 are working well (i've got the Wii hooked up via component right now and it looks great). Also, The cat seems to be enjoying the VTF-2 as well, she's perched on it intently watching the gaming action.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks jwood....I really do appreciate you taking the time to do this & for giving your feedback. Guess I have some shopping to do & let my ears make the decision. I basically wanted to confirm my sub selection being "compatible" w/ my receiver options. Do you peruse the speaker forum so I can get your feedback on that as well or can I send you a pm??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.