AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost let me apologize if these have been specifically covered in previous threads. I am having difficulty using this sites search function and getting it to result in specific threads containing all of the words I am searching for. Plus the Pioneer Elite threads are HUGE and it takes so long to sift through there. Any advice on using the search feature here on top of my specific questions would be appreciated.

Okay

I have two questions regarding my new Pioneer Elite 82 receive:

1. Can anyone provide a technical explanation of the Sound Retriever feature on these units that is used for compressed audio?

I have hooked up my iPod and am turning this feature on and off and can definitely tell a difference sonically, but just have no idea what it is doing to the signal. To my ears, it just sounds like it is almost a loudness function or a boosting of the EQ levels. I did not realize it would be so dramatic and now think it actually colors the sound too much and disturbs that original signal. Is this thing really enhancing the lost data or just a fake gimmick through boosting EQ levels?

2. What is MCACC use when switching to a Pure Direct signal?

If my understanding of the Pure Direct signal is correct than shouldn't it turn off or bypass the MCACC setting? So far, my MCACC settings seem great for my HT stuff (DD & DTS) but not for 2 channel music. So when I go to Pure Direct for music it still leaves my MCACC setting on and sounds weird. I then cycle through all the MCACC presets until it turns off and it sounds much better. Does anyone use the same MCACC setting for both HT and 2 ch. Music?

Am I missing something here or not fully understanding the use for MCACC? Why would one want to leave that on for 2 ch.? Isn't MCACCC really just for HT and 5.1/7.1 sound?

Ohand one last thingdoes anyone have any good tips for running the MCACC setup to get the best overall results? I am not that impressed so far at the initial results and have to do a fair amount of tweaking. Just wondering if folks had some general tips to get this thing as accurate as possible right off the bat.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hate to do this, but...bump...?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
1. Can anyone provide a technical explanation of the Sound Retriever

It's just a DSP - likely only Pio can tell you the specifics.

Quote:
Am I missing something here or not fully understanding the use for MCACC? Why would one want to leave that on for 2 ch.? Isn't MCACCC really just for HT and 5.1/7.1 sound?

Pure direct just means they don't do any processing to the input signal, does not mean they don't do any processing to the output - the EQ settings remain in place. There's a button to turn the MCACC on & off (as you are already aware). From this config I'd say Pio doesn't view them as mutually exclusive. MCACC does an in room EQ on the speakers = it's good to have even for 2.ch sound as it EQ's each speaker.

How to make it better? Tweak it the way you want. Much like calibrating a display w/ AVIA - that's all well & good but what if that looks bad to you?

Really all the EQ is doing is making sure a set of tones are equal in volume, that given the room acoustics specific ranges of freqs are played at the same volume, and that the sound arrives to the mic's location at the same time w/ surround input.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 /forum/post/0

It's just a DSP - likely only Pio can tell you the specifics.

Pure direct just means they don't do any processing to the input signal, does not mean they don't do any processing to the output - the EQ settings remain in place. There's a button to turn the MCACC on & off (as you are already aware). From this config I'd say Pio doesn't view them as mutually exclusive. MCACC does an in room EQ on the speakers = it's good to have even for 2.ch sound as it EQ's each speaker.

How to make it better? Tweak it the way you want. Much like calibrating a display w/ AVIA - that's all well & good but what if that looks bad to you?

Really all the EQ is doing is making sure a set of tones are equal in volume, that given the room acoustics specific ranges of freqs are played at the same volume, and that the sound arrives to the mic's location at the same time w/ surround input.

Thanks so much Bailey!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Oops, forgot to add - this is where I like the copy MCACC setting feature. Copy the data & you can use the auto EQ as a reference & experiment with different settings (when you get way out of whack you can refer the to auto EQ easily).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.