AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1478 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to start one "official" thread about the "supposed" Pioneer firmware update that is supposed to address the LFE issue (and perhaps the component > HDMI issue).

It is getting to tough to look in 3 or 4 different threads about this issue to see if some has gotten it addressed.

I am not an owner of either right now because of this issue and want to purchase one soon...badly!

Can we get confirmation from anyone that the fix is out and how it gets downloaded (i.e. I have read that you have to either take it in to a service center and they do it there or it gets sent out from a service center - which is unacceptable to me)?

Hopefully we get good news and an update in this thread soon!!!

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I will try to contact Pioneer again on Tuesday. In the last email they sent me, after I voiced a strong concern over the LFE issue, they said the following (in quotations):

"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

There will be a firmware upgrade for the Receiver by the end of December 2006.

So when we hear that the SI has been set out to the servicer we will let you

know so you can take the Receiver to your local

servicer for a firmware update.

Thank You,

Phil

Customer Service Representative"

If this firmware update does happen, it will require the customer to visit their local service center.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Will they have to show their receipt, and where they purchased it from? Will pioneer take care of those people who bought from unauthorized dealers.

I am a dealer and am an authorized repair facility and wonder what I should tell people who bring in units purchased from unauthorized dealers.

Has anyone contacted any unauthorized dealers to find out if they will be able to deal with this?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm /forum/post/0

Will they have to show their receipt, and where they purchased it from? Will pioneer take care of those people who bought from unauthorized dealers.

I am a dealer and am an authorized repair facility and wonder what I should tell people who bring in units purchased from unauthorized dealers.

Has anyone contacted any unauthorized dealers to find out if they will be able to deal with this?

Totally uncool "Jake". Do me a favor and keep that **** out of here.

Everyone else...PLEASE do not take the bait on "Jake SM"'s post and ignore it. Lets not waste any additional space in this thread on his agenda/trolling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is unfortunate that it will mean a service centre visit. I live in a rural area and only make it to the "Big Smoke" where I did buy it from an authorized dealer -Commercial Electronics, Vanc. BC (
jacko) a couple of times a year.

Not very convenient for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for making this thread Spooky. Makes it a lot easier to track the issue. The LFE also effects the 81's as well. Hopefully Pioneer steps up to the plate and addresses this issue.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the heck of it...I just tried calling the service support # and spoke with two different technicians to inquire about this issue/fix.

They both were aware of the issue and said that the firmware fix is in fact available for the HDMI right now and that you only have to take it to an "authorized" service center and they can preform the update on site.

Now...you never know just exactly how accurate these techs are so take this with a bit of caution (especially since one tach seemed overconfident that it was available and the other seemed not-so-sure).

I also was not able to obtain the exact firmware update # that is for the latest "supposed" fix.

I am going to try and call my local service center to see if they know of anything about this.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I was told LFE firmware fix was expected in January.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm interested in knowing about taking a unit bought from an unauthorized seller to a service center for a firmware update. If someone does that let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Me too, I might try it on wed.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
Are new ones on the pipeline have the fix already installed?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay...so I called my local service center to see if they had heard of this and what I needed to do. The technician there had not yet heard of this update so he told me he would contact Pioneer and find out everything and call me back.

He called back about an hour later and said they there is indeed a fix for HDMI issues (he would not get more specific than that) but said the fix required more than just a firmware upgrade. It actually required a component to be replaced and that they would have to obtain one from Pioneer. To do this, I would need to fax them my bill of sale and my serial #. Then they would order the part and perform the fix when I brought my receiver in. So, no sending the unit out for repair which is good.

I have yet to actually buy this receiver and was waiting for this confirmation prior to purchasing. What I would LOVE to know now is what manufactures date has these fixes incorporated out of the box!?!?!?

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
To do this, I would need to fax them my bill of sale and my serial #.

Did they say if they checked where it was purchased from against a list of authorized dealers? I found out that the place that sold me mine isn't authorized. Do you think they'd do it for a fee?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news...(I think)...

From John Haghighi in the 84 Owners Thread...

"Okay all, as I mentioned late last month I contacted a Pioneer engineer who handles testing for Pioneer products and updated my 74 firmware last June. He confirmed an update was coming in January, and informed me today the update was ready to be applied. Pioneer has made this available to service centers as of last week. If you require the firmware update, you must go through an authorized Pioneer service center. Your local service center should be able to get the updates, I don't have a list of which service centers have them or which have the necessary software/cables to do the update. However if it is an authorized Pioneer service center, they should have access to get what they need to perform the updates. All they need to do is follow their standard operating procedures dealing with Pioneer. With that said, I don't believe Pioneer has sent out notices yet and I don't know if they plan to do so in the near future.

The latest firmware applied to the 84TXsi consisted of two DSP updates, one through serial cable, one through optical, and one HDMI update via the proprietary interface. the 84's require removing the shell, which was not this case with last years models.

What is suppose to be fixed:

HDMI dark picture issue:

Confirmed fix

HDMI sync issues:

Confirmed fix (at least the random sync problem with the PS3 set to 1080p output is not there anymore, others wil have to test)

LFE issue:

Inconclusive. I have not been able to do adequate testing to determine if it is fixed as I am limited to the PS3 and 79avi with LPCM HDMI output.

Basically, there is not a menu option to select the LFE boost as I thought there would be, rather the same combintation of Video Select + the Power button gives the +10db SW boost. I was told that this now covers analog, firewire, and HDMI. I cannot confirm that the fix is working as described just yet. If anyone has some test suggestions let me know and I will give it a run.

The firmware update for the LFE required two updates, one through the optical input, and one through the Serial input. This is the firmware revisions I ended up with when all was done:

M1.002 F0.503

D1.003 H1.005

Host 28

f1.004 s1.001

On another note, I brought down the 79avi to confirm with Pioneer that the 480i via HDMI does not get upconverted. It's funcitioning as specified, and the chart I was shown was similar to what Monty posted months ago, no 480i HDMI upconversion "." I did ask if this could be changed, and the engineer is going to ask home base in Japan, but he indicated it may be a hardware limitation, so don't plan on this happening. It's basically a feature request that may not be possible.

I also brought up the firmware update procedures and how it would be beneficial to make this available online for customers to do through a USB or serial port. Unfortunately Pioneer has not done this yet, and there is no indication that it will happen with future products. In fact this years model requires opening the unit for the HDMI update, which is a step backwards from a technicians stand point. I think the Pioneer technicians would love to see this happen as well, it would save time and money, but then again risks to damaging the unit are inevitable. There are stories of authorized service technicians needing to replace ICs because the firmware update failed, likely due to user error as there hasn't been an HDMI harware update (power failure, cable disconnect). Whatever the case let's hope it changes in the future, because there is no way it will happen with the current design. Write to Pioneer and tell them you want to be able to udpate firmware.

Attached are some pictures from the update, some pictures of the flash in progress, internals, and one with the 79Avi in test mode."

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am in Houston and called my local authorized repair center and he said that he knows about the firmware update, but he cannot do it. He stated that there currently was only 2 sites in the US that had the specific piece of hardware for the update.

He told me my options were to call and let Pioneer know that other sites needed this hardware and that shipping it to either the East or West coast was unacceptable.

Has anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts

Quote:
He stated that there currently was only 2 sites in the US that had the specific piece of hardware for the update.

I'M WAITING TO HEAR WHEN WE'LL BE GETTING THE HARDWARE, ETC. FOR OUR SERVICE TECHS.

1 - 20 of 1478 Posts