AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1478 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Jake. Keep us updated. I would rather send my unit to a local center or an AVS member if I had to rather than just a place listed on their site.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Okay...I think I have some good info, but some of this is getting really confusing.

I just called Pioneer support again to try and get the magic # manufacturer date and/or serial # for the ones that have the HDMI/LFE fix installed from factory. Here is what I got from the Pioneer Cust. Support Rep.:

The HDMI Update/Fix is included in any receivers with a manufactures date of December 5th 2006 or later. Plus, any serial # beginning with the letters FL should have the updated HDMI (to be able to check without opening the box).

Now the kickerthe rep told me that this update did NOT fix the LFE issue and that this was still being worked on and will be a firmware update in the near future.

Nowtake all of this with a grain of salt as no one over there seems to have a consistent response to all of my questions.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just called my local places -- realy only two service centers in the bay area?

I'm feeling like this thing is a little too elite!

Anyways, one knew about it, the other not so much.. Both said they would need to keep the receiver for a week or two..

I just bought this thing two weeks ago! Arghhh..

I offered to pay them money to do it faster, and they told me to call back tomorrow and they'll see what they can do.

-b

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yesterday I brought my receiver back to my sales guy to send to their Pioneer Service Center for the firmware and hardware update. He had gotten responses from their Pioneer rep. that they knew nothing of a LFE issue fix. It took some convincing from John H.'s thread tht I forwarded(thanks John) for him to call Pioneer directly and get the information from them. He then asks me to bring the receiver in and it should be about 1wk to 2wks depending upon how long it takes the service center to get the parts. I think any service center can do it for you, they just have to order the parts and get instructions from Pioneer. I will update when I get the receiver back along with some conclusions as to whether the LFE issue has been corrected along with the other fixes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstage28 /forum/post/0

Yesterday I brought my receiver back to my sales guy to send to their Pioneer Service Center for the firmware and hardware update. He had gotten responses from their Pioneer rep. that they knew nothing of a LFE issue fix. It took some convincing from John H.'s thread tht I forwarded(thanks John) for him to call Pioneer directly and get the information from them. He then asks me to bring the receiver in and it should be about 1wk to 2wks depending upon how long it takes the service center to get the parts. I think any service center can do it for you, they just have to order the parts and get instructions from Pioneer. I will update when I get the receiver back along with some conclusions as to whether the LFE issue has been corrected along with the other fixes.

i wouldn't leave your receiver there...my service center said to just fax them my sales receipt and my serial # and then they would order the parts ahead of time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why spook,

what do you think my hi-fi dealer of 8 years is going to let their personal service center steal the receiver or something. I think everything will be ok. I have my old system I am using in place for the wait. Much rather be first in line to get it done. Besides I was still within my 30 day trial of the receiver as usual.

I

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Quote:

Why spook,

what do you think my hi-fi dealer of 8 years is going to let their personal service center steal the receiver or something. I think everything will be ok. I have my old system I am using in place for the wait. Much rather be first in line to get it done. Besides I was still within my 30 day trial of the receiver as usual.

I

Has nothing to do with not trusting them...has everything to do with being without your receiver for 2 weeks when it could just be 30 minutes if you let them order the stuff ahead of time and then bring it in when they are ready.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree with you Spooky. If I did not have another receiver, I would probably be hesitant to be without the Pio for a couple weeks. For everyone else thinking about it, you may get some answers from Pioneer as to what service centers they have already sent out parts to in your area. Otherwise take the spooky route and have them order the parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO /forum/post/0

Any European owners looking at this? News from UK dealers would be appreciated.

I have contacted Pioneer Uk about this equivalemt model -VSX-AX4SI-S - and they say that there is no problem with this av receiver and LFE. BUT he did not seem to know what i was talking about in the first place.

I am extremely interested in this product and will hopefully be buying this in the near future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i'm not clear on what HDMI issues the update fixes. does it make upscaling quality better? will it let me have different scaling settings for each input?

i wonder if the info on the build dates and serial numbers is accureate as far as which units are being sold with the updates installed already.

sure glad i won't be ready to buy for another few weeks. maybe more will be ironed out by then

·
Registered
938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gadget /forum/post/0

I have contacted Pioneer Uk about this equivalemt model -VSX-AX4SI-S - and they say that there is no problem with this av receiver and LFE. BUT he did not seem to know what i was talking about in the first place.

That's the sort of response I was afraid of...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My local service center called me today and he said he received the software for the update. I did not even fax him my receipt yet (which he asked me to do in order to get the update from Pioneer). He just went ahead and ordered it and told me to bring in my receiver.

He said it was software that is documented as fixing "audio issues". He was not sure about HDMI issues. Why can't we just get a freakin' straight answer from this company!?!?

I'm thinking it may just fix both...**fingers crossed**

I have not even tried HDMI video or audio yet as I just got the receiver 2 days ago so I cannot even confirm things are working right to begin with, but I'll just assume they aren't and get the update sometime next week and hopefully never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Spooky said:
He said it was software that is documented as fixing "audio issues". He was not sure about HDMI issues. Why can't we just get a freakin' straight answer from this company!?!?

Hey Spooky,

I would ask them again if they know about the hardware update. It has been confirmed and the parts that everyone is talking about is what the hardware update is about. They actually have to open upp the chassis and do god knows what inside. There is a firmware update as well and that is probably what the software is for.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey pioneer owners...I was thinking about returning my denon 3806 for the vsx84 so I emailed pioneer wanting to know about this firmware fix and what it took to get it. They sent me back a response today and said that there is a fix for 7.1 and LFE available just now and that I would need to get it to a service center and that it could take some time for this. I never even new there was a problem with 7.1 pcm on the pioneers and he also never said anything about being able to buy a reciever that was already updated so now I dont know what to do...I wanted to return the denon because it does not except 7.1 pcm through hdmi but I dont want to go through such a hassel if I get the pioneer. I dont want to buy it and then send it away and wait who knows how long to get it back...oh well just figured I would let you guys know what they said to me at pioneer customer service.

Take care,

Brian

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can someone clear this up for me? I have noticed two issues with my receiver, not 100% sure it's related to the problem for the firmware. Just trying to make sure.

1. S-Video through the receiver is lower quality than going from the LD player to the TV. I am using a Sony KV-34HS420 CRT. I've played with every video setting I can find on both units. When the LD player is not playing, the blue screen is actually wavy through the receiver. The only connection from the receiver to the TV is HDMI.

2. Switching from 480 / 720 / 1080 while watching TV via the component cable (or the DVD via the same type of connection) the screen gets darker. If I go from 1080 to passthrough - it's very obvious.

This is the first "high end" receiver I've ever purchased. I'm worried if I have to send it out, have it come back after the return period & I'm still not happy. Since this was purchased at Magnolia / Best Buy my other options are other Elite receivers, Denon or Yamaha.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO /forum/post/0

That's the sort of response I was afraid of...

What shall we do in the UK

1/ buy it and take their world for it and hope they are right

2/ buy it knowing they are qrong and try and get the faults fixed via the uk service points

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

soundstage28 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky /forum/post/0

Hey Spooky,

I would ask them again if they know about the hardware update. It has been confirmed and the parts that everyone is talking about is what the hardware update is about. They actually have to open upp the chassis and do god knows what inside. There is a firmware update as well and that is probably what the software is for.

Are you sure about the hardware piece? Can you point me to where this was discussed for refernce?

Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts

Spooky said:
Quote:

Are you sure about the hardware piece? Can you point me to where this was discussed for refernce?

Thanks!

When I called my local service center and they told me that there was only one shop in WA that could do it, her words were "they are the only ones that have the jig set up so far..."

I would also assume that meant hardware change also.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts

JThiessen said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky /forum/post/0

When I called my local service center and they told me that there was only one shop in WA that could do it, her words were "they are the only ones that have the jig set up so far..."

I would also assume that meant hardware change also.

I got the same answer, and I have been in touch with that service center (the one with the jig) for about 3 days. He has contacted Pio but has received no answer as of this morning.

paul

21 - 40 of 1478 Posts