AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1478 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I called Pioneer directly about my Elite 72-txv and was told that the update was not yet available but that they are working on it. He did say the 72 line would for sure be included in the update. As there is no service center within 200 miles of me, I will have to send it in..

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesyjames /forum/post/0

I called Pioneer directly about my Elite 72-txv and was told that the update was not yet available but that they are working on it. He did say the 72 line would for sure be included in the update. As there is no service center within 200 miles of me, I will have to send it in..

This news on the 72txv just made my day.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Spooky said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstage28 /forum/post/0

Are you sure about the hardware piece? Can you point me to where this was discussed for refernce?

Thanks!

If you look at some of my previous posts you will see that my hi-fi salesaman of many years has been as clueless as many of us here(except John H.) as to what updates are even available or what will actually been fixed in the Pio Elites. He emailed me copies of emails between him and his Pio rep. to no avail meaning the rep. was just as clueless as everyone else. I sent him the post by John H. as to someone already receiving the fix I had been questioning him about. After he saw the post he contacted Pioneer direct and found out that a hardware and firmware update would be performed by a local service center after the parts/tools whatever is obtained by them. This is probably related to the tools needed by service techs to perform the update in some way. Whenever I receive the unit back I will ask the tech as many questions I can to get some answers. If there is no hardware update performed then I guess my sales rep. that contacted Pioneer direct got some misinformation. It is just a matter of time...

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky /forum/post/0

Okay...I think I have some good info, but some of this is getting really confusing.

I just called Pioneer support again to try and get the magic # manufacturer date and/or serial # for the ones that have the HDMI/LFE fix installed from factory. Here is what I got from the Pioneer Cust. Support Rep.:

The HDMI Update/Fix is included in any receivers with a manufactures date of December 5th 2006 or later. Plus, any serial # beginning with the letters FL should have the updated HDMI (to be able to check without opening the box).

There may be some truth to this. I had bought an 82 from a local tweeter. This one had really bad upscaling issue with the sources connected to the component inputs.....dark picture similar to reported by other people. I liked the audio features of the receiver so I bought another piece on-line, actually to get a cheaper price. I not got another 82 for much lower price (from an authorized on-line dealer) but, to my surprise, upscaling component through HDMI issue was resolved....really good and bright picture just like the sources connected to S-video and composite. Found out that the one from Tweeter was made in August 06 while the one bought on-line was from Nov. 06 batch. Pioneer must have done something or is this hdmi issue a random event?

Quote:

Now the kickerthe rep told me that this update did NOT fix the LFE issue and that this was still being worked on and will be a firmware update in the near future.

I cannot say anything about this as I don't have any hdmi sources connected to the receiver yet. Will worry about it at a later date, if needed. Meanwhile, thoroughly enjoying my new receiver.

Options

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
The latest from my service center:

================================

Paul,

I just got off the phone with my guy at Pioneer (he was dealing with another Plasma issue yesterday).

He is gathering the required data for the 84 upgrade and will attempt email first, though he said half the time it won't go through. If that's the case he'll send it up here. Please allow time for me to receive and review the information. I'll contact you to arrange a time to bring the receiver in.

================================

paul

edit:

p.s. I asked him to get whatever info he could about what is fixed therein

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Quote:

I have yet to actually buy this receiver and was waiting for this confirmation prior to purchasing. What I would LOVE to know now is what manufactures date has these fixes incorporated out of the box!?!?!?

sounds like we're in the same boat (thanks for starting this thread by the way).

I doubt I will buy this knowing I'll have to take it into a service center. I also wonder how long these will be in production (if any of them will come off the line with the LFE fixed).

In the original 84 thread many units were showing manufacturing dates of April 2006. If that's the case, they might be putting the next line of Elites into production soon.

Does anyone remember when this line was announced originally?

I totally want this, but I know it may be in my best interest to wait a couple months and see what's coming soon.

Who knows, they may list 10db LFE boost as a "feature"!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for creating this thread. I am interested in buying the 81 or 82, looks like I will hold off until these issues are resolved. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am interested in the Pioneer VSX-81TXV, however in comparing it to the VSX-82TXS it has a few less inputs and is 20 watts less in power. What I don't understand is: I've seen some posts here in AVS that state that the 81 won't convert Component, or S-video to HDMI video output.

I wish someone would point me to where it says that because that's not what I am seeing in the pioneer specs.

Regards.....Lyle

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk /forum/post/0

sounds like we're in the same boat (thanks for starting this thread by the way).

I doubt I will buy this knowing I'll have to take it into a service center. I also wonder how long these will be in production (if any of them will come off the line with the LFE fixed).

In the original 84 thread many units were showing manufacturing dates of April 2006. If that's the case, they might be putting the next line of Elites into production soon.

Does anyone remember when this line was announced originally?

I totally want this, but I know it may be in my best interest to wait a couple months and see what's coming soon.

Who knows, they may list 10db LFE boost as a "feature"!

It hasn't been officialy confirmed, but it is believed the production run is done on these units..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doesn't that mean that the various inputs, composite, S-Video, Component will be output thru the HDMI to a HDTV even though they will probably be something less that 1080i thereby allowing for the "ONE Cable" hookup of the TV?

Regards.....Lyle

·
Registered
157 Posts
This afternoon a gal in customer service at Pioneer told me that there was a firmware fix for the LFE channel via pcm HDMI but that there weren't any repair centers here in Minnesota that had the equipment to do it. This was for the 72 TXV. She told me to have my repair center contact Tech Services for the equipment and the firmware. I contacted my repair center and explained the LFE problem regarding the 70 and 80 series receivers and told them that Pioneer had told me to have them contact their Tech Service Rep and get the equipment. I gave her my name, address, phone #, receiver model #, serial #, date of manufacture and purchase date. She called me back at 6:pM and told me that she hadn't forgot me but that Pioneer hadn't called her back yet but that hopefully they would get back to her tomorrow. When I hear more I will post the info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was considering buying this AVR because i grew tired of waiting for a firmware fix from Harman Kardon on my AVR 645. Now i come to find out this unit is also waiting on a firmware update. Does anyone have any suggestions on AVR's in the same price range and quality as these two that "just work".

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you live in the twin cities area and own a Pioneer 70 or 80 series and you want the firmware fix for the LFE problem right away you will have to ship your receiver to Electromania in Wisconsin (phone 414-259-0139.

Pioneer has a very limited supply of the equipment necessary for updating the firmware. Alex Audio & Video Services Inc. should have the equipment by April and they are located here in the twin cities. I am going to wait so that I can just drop it off and pick it up. If you want to wait you should call in now and get on their list. The more people they have on their list the faster they might get the equipment from Pioneer.You will be able to drop it off at any of their locations in the twin cities and they will transport it to their home office and back.

To get on the list call Sara at 763-533-5377 and tell her you want to be put on the list for a firmware update. Have your model # and serial # ready as well as your date of purchase. Depending on which receiver model you own and when it was manufactured will determine just how many other firmware corrections you may need.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW /forum/post/0

Looks like the best bet is to wait for the next series if were considering purchasing an 80 series at this point

Well that really sucks I was looking to buy the 84 in the next month.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts
OK are there any receivers out there that have 4 HDMI inputs? And do not have any issues i.e. firmware updates hardware fixes? I really wanted the vsx-84txsi but with all the problems with getting firmware updates installed I cant see paying msrp for something you have to have fixed

41 - 60 of 1478 Posts