AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
No such thing as far as I know. Black levels on Pio's are what they are. Not going to rise or drop.

@gatt - my understanding though could be wrong is that kuros have a different method for handling the black initialization so that it DOESN'T rise with increased voltage.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/19523520

No such thing as far as I know. Black levels on Pio's are what they are. Not going to rise or drop.

@gatt - my understanding though could be wrong is that kuros have a different method for handling the black initialization so that it DOESN'T rise with increased voltage.

It was said at the value electronics 2008 shootout that the pioneer blacks would get slightly deeper as the panel aged- no one ever said what that measured to.

There was an old link where someone had the 151 compared to the 500m and it was said (maybe by D-Nice, can't remember) that the blacks would eventually become as dark throughout the whole display as they were in the center of it???

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_johnson83 /forum/post/19521643

I read that the black levels on the 9g models gets lower the more hours you have on it. How many hours do you need to be 500m black levels on a 5020fd?

A 5020 will never have black levels as low as a 500M. The 500M and 101FD monitors contain different technology that produces lower black levels than all the other 9G models, including the 5020.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The black splotch. Yes, that's true. I think that's because the sets start a little hot to start off with. My KRP had all kinds of hot pixels that disappeared completely during break-in. It does get darker to a point where the "black splotch" fills out the display, but unless I'm mistaken past that point it stops (correct my if I'm wrong).

What's happening is that the black level is normalizing down to its darkest state, but once that happens it doesn't just keep going ad infinitum. Also, as p59 stated, the 5020 is a different panel than the 500m/101. It can get as dark as the dark splotch in the center (if it has one), but it won't get as dark as the dark splotch on a 500m. Diff. technology in them.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/19523679

The black splotch. Yes, that's true. I think that's because the sets start a little hot to start off with. My KRP had all kinds of hot pixels that disappeared completely during break-in. It does get darker to a point where the "black splotch" fills out the display, but unless I'm mistaken past that point it stops (correct my if I'm wrong).

What's happening is that the black level is normalizing down to its darkest state, but once that happens it doesn't just keep going ad infinitum. Also, as p59 stated, the 5020 is a different panel than the 500m/101. It can get as dark as the dark splotch in the center (if it has one), but it won't get as dark as the dark splotch on a 500m. Diff. technology in them.

I remember reading the patent describing the dark splotch (have to look it up ). Visually I can confirm that my 141 had a very strong dark spotch and it took a while to completely dissapear but it did. I have a very uniform black level now.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Pioneer patent describing a solution to the dark blotch. This solution may not have been used as it may screw things up as the panel ages. They essentially are changing the electrode size depending on the cell location (P1,P2,P3) in order to get uniform blacks.

A while back I speculated that non-uniform application of the MgO (on phosphor) was the cause. However, pioneer describes the cause of the black blotch below. I honestly do not know what they mean with that sentence (in bold).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Corporation patent app#20080170003 /forum/post/0

It is estimated that the in-plane variations in the opposing discharge are induced by, for example, a spot occurring in the panel surface which is one of the secondary electron emission characteristics of an MgO layer deposited on a dielectric layer overlying the row electrode pairs. In general, the opposing discharge demonstrates a propensity to show a lower intensity in the central portion of the display area of the panel than that in the peripheral portion of the display area.

Here is Figure 1 from the patent showing the non-uniformity profiles (three seperate areas)

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_johnson83 /forum/post/19521643

I read that the black levels on the 9g models gets lower the more hours you have on it. How many hours do you need to be 500m black levels on a 5020fd?

I didn't see this with my 500m.

You will never get 500m black levels with your 5020fd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts