AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
After calling up Pioneer USA (as Canada does not support home audio products as of last month!) they advised a factory reset and if that didnt work call an authorized repair center. Issue is either A. The listed phone number/store is no longer around B. They do not perform warranty repairs C. Small 1 person shop far away (60+Km).

What the hell can I do! This was a cheap $200 receiver VSX-524 from BB.

Issue is constant losing handshake/signal and pink hue on certain devices randomly. It only started after 3 months of use. Verified it is not the HDMI wires and the connections appear undamaged. A cold boot helps but the issue re-occurs after a few hours. The no signal only lasts 1-2seconds before it re-establishes... but the pink hue occurs on BD player and WD player and requires reboot of AVR.

Any advise? Pioneer support is brutal, had to call in 2x after waiting 1.5hrs on separate days!

I can confirm all my devices work fine when connected via same HDMI directly to the TV. (all ports affected)

Note: Audio still works while the signal is lost to the TV.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hi All,
After calling up Pioneer USA (as Canada does not support home audio products as of last month!) they advised a factory reset and if that didnt work call an authorized repair center. Issue is either A. The listed phone number/store is no longer around B. They do not perform warranty repairs C. Small 1 person shop far away (60+Km).

What the hell can I do! This was a cheap $200 receiver VSX-524 from BB.

Issue is constant losing handshake/signal and pink hue on certain devices randomly. It only started after 3 months of use. Verified it is not the HDMI wires and the connections appear undamaged. A cold boot helps but the issue re-occurs after a few hours. The no signal only lasts 1-2seconds before it re-establishes... but the pink hue occurs on BD player and WD player and requires reboot of AVR.

Any advise? Pioneer support is brutal, had to call in 2x after waiting 1.5hrs on separate days!

I can confirm all my devices work fine when connected via same HDMI directly to the TV. (all ports affected)

Note: Audio still works while the signal is lost to the TV.
Return it- if Pioneer wants to stop honoring warranty while products are under warranty, let the retailer inflict the pain on Pioneer.

Otherwise, try a different cable- I have seen the same pink color with two Denon AVRs and changing cables fixed the problem both times.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt all my hdmi cables went bad.. Do you think it's my main hdmi to the TV that end bad? It's 25ft would like not to replace.. That cable works fine from cable box to TV though... Would a defective cable only show issues with an AVR and not with just TV and cable box?

·
Premium Member
4,936 Posts
I doubt all my hdmi cables went bad.. Do you think it's my main hdmi to the TV that end bad? It's 25ft would like not to replace.. That cable works fine from cable box to TV though... Would a defective cable only show issues with an AVR and not with just TV and cable box?
With a 25 foot cable run buy a signal booster. Hate to tell you that its not an issue with the receiver, but the length of the cable run and/or cable. Blue Jean Cables are well thought of cable here on AVS, check out the link below for a little more info on hdmi cable length. This is one time that the cable matters.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm

·
Premium Member
93,297 Posts
The cable is not necessarily defective as much as the signal strength has been weakened which is often the case when it passes through an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR). You can test using a shorter 6' cable from the AVR to the TV. If that works without issue, as suggested above, purchase an HDMI extender (eg. forum sponsor Monoprice).

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=2849&seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
In my system, it was only the cable from the Roku to the AVR (Denon) and in the system I installed, it was the cable from the cable box to the AVR and the one from the Roku. I had used that brand for a few years and they worked fine, until the second time I had a problem.

HDMI has a very small voltage window for the "handshake"- it's a whopping .3 Volts and it's not hard to have a loss of that amount. It can be from many causes including bending the cable at the end(s), bad internal connections and not being able to handle the new demands- contrary to what some vendors say, the lowest price cables don't always work.

HDMI uses several protocols to make it work and EDID is one of them. When you did a reset, it also reset the EDID and that's why it worked for a while afterward. I found the same thing when I reset the Roku units and cable box, but it didn't stick. I replaced the old cables with Tributaries and haven't had a problem since.

BTW/FWIW- repeaters are supposed to correct errors and restore the voltage, but when some brands are used, they don't all play well together.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I will move my avr next to the TV and use a 6ft cable to confirm.

Strange that the issue does not occur using same 25ft cable without the avr... And worked fine for 3months

Edit: I re-read last post, I did not know AVR is a HDMI repeater! Thanks for that info. Perhaps the signal the AVR is sending to the TV is too weak.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
In my system, it was only the cable from the Roku to the AVR (Denon) and in the system I installed, it was the cable from the cable box to the AVR and the one from the Roku. I had used that brand for a few years and they worked fine, until the second time I had a problem.

HDMI has a very small voltage window for the "handshake"- it's a whopping .3 Volts and it's not hard to have a loss of that amount. It can be from many causes including bending the cable at the end(s), bad internal connections and not being able to handle the new demands- contrary to what some vendors say, the lowest price cables don't always work.

HDMI uses several protocols to make it work and EDID is one of them. When you did a reset, it also reset the EDID and that's why it worked for a while afterward. I found the same thing when I reset the Roku units and cable box, but it didn't stick. I replaced the old cables with Tributaries and haven't had a problem since.

BTW/FWIW- repeaters are supposed to correct errors and restore the voltage, but when some brands are used, they don't all play well together.
I purchased a new HDMI from Monoprice as I simply cannot do all the work to move my receiver and use a smaller 6ft HDMI. I purchased this new cable, hopefully it will solve my problem.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2

REDMERE CABERNET SERIES HIGH SPEED .

Edit: O jeeze I just read the BlueJeans article.... yea... whoops.. I now even went longer with 30ft as I could use the extra length to fit my AVR in a better location.

Edit2: Do you think I should buy an Active HDMI Equalizer Extender with this new cable?? I think this new cable is pretty decent with the specs and should handle the signal... Please let me know.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I purchased a new HDMI from Monoprice as I simply cannot do all the work to move my receiver and use a smaller 6ft HDMI. I purchased this new cable, hopefully it will solve my problem.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2

REDMERE CABERNET SERIES HIGH SPEED .

Edit: O jeeze I just read the BlueJeans article.... yea... whoops.. I now even went longer with 30ft as I could use the extra length to fit my AVR in a better location.

Edit2: Do you think I should buy an Active HDMI Equalizer Extender with this new cable?? I think this new cable is pretty decent with the specs and should handle the signal... Please let me know.
I used a 10m Redmere for a theater I'm working on and so far, so good. With the Redmere, an extender/repeater isn't necessary- it's built in. In that system, I'm using an HDMI switch, sending the video to a projector- it looks great and I haven't seen any evidence of problems, nor have I received any phone calls about anything wrong.

At this point, I'm hearing about HDMI cables that actually work at close to 100', so I'm not sure it's a distance problem in your system, I think it may be that the cable just can't pass everything that's involved with the current HDMI signals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the advise. The new redmere monoprice cable (30ft) fixed the issue. I have not had a lost signal/no signal for over a week now.

So happy it was a $30 new cable vs getting the receiver tested/fixed under warranty. (drop off location was 1hr + away)

Goes to show, even if the cable works without the AVR in the middle, it can still be the cable!!! :kiss:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts