AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Pioneer A04 which appears to have a solid record of compatability with DVD-R media as long as the FW version is 1.31 or earlier. But then found the new 4x A05 for $30 more which I would really like to benefit from the speedier writes (15 minutes per disc) in the future when 4x media is more cost effective.

But...researching the A05 shows that Pioneer has effectively made the cheaper media incompatable with this unit. What worked on the A04 at least before Pioneer changed the FW, does not work on the A05. Their is some noise from Pioneer on a future FW update to address the compatability of some discs but who knows what will work since they have taken this stance.

So now I am reconsidering Pioneer in favor of the Sony. Apparently there is a new version 1.0f available on their website that improves media compatability but do not yet have a clear understanding what works.

Can anyone post their results with media compatability on these two drives?

Thanks

--hardwired

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You will see many posts on the subject of media comp over on www.vcdhelp.com. specifically you can look at:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120888

Note that some of the earliest posts (listed on the first page) of the link above are with version c firmware. The story improved much with the later firmware version D and now F.

There are many variables, DVD burner software, drive firmware version, media. I am not at all sure that one can make a valid summary statement at this point. The link above has over 100 posts to it.

I have the Sony burner, running with version c, then d and now finally F firmware. I have had good luck with Ritek media, which is pretty cheap, and EZCD software with the latest (oct 24) patch.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have the A03 and installed the 2x4all patch and I now burn ritek03 media at 2x ($0.85 ea.) all the time with out one coaster yet and I have not had any pixelization. The patch allows *any* media to be burned at 2x! There is also a patch for thr a04.

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MichaelZ,

Where is the 2x4all patch coming from? Is this a hacked firmware.

I want a 4x machine. So you are telling me if I get a Pioneer and I am going to have to live with hacked and bootlegged firmware, if it even exists. I would really be more comfortable with a manufacturer that supports their product and maintains a broad media compatability. I am hoping Sony is the solution since Pioneer is clearly not.

I am reading to many new owners of the Pioneer purchasing the product and $100 on a spindle of 2X DVD-R's only to find out they don't work. Oh but this same media works just fine on the older Pioneer drives and firmware. WTF!

I would buy the A05 today if it were not for this since DVD-R/RW only is fine with me. But maybe if there are fewer compatability problems with +R media going forward, consumers will go with the new format.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yes the 2x4all is hacked firmware but it allows 2x recording on *any* media! YMMV, but I am using 1x ritekg03 and burning at 2x and have had zero failures and all played perfectly. My friend also has an A03 and has applied the patch and he has been burning 1x princo -rw ($1.05 ea) at 2x speeds with no problems. So far, this is a really sweet patch. There is also a patch for the a04, as well.

I agree that there is a lot of BS in finding the the right media to use with the pioneer burners but if you read the boards the +r burners are having as much if not more problems finding cheap media to burn (and cheap +r media is ALOT more expensive).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Micahael,

Sent you a PM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.