AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Pioneer VSX-60 model receiver and have a question regarding the Airplay feature. I have the receiver set up to operate 2 zones - a 5.1 system in my living room and 2 additional speakers on my patio as the "Zone 2" set-up. I've gotten the receiver connected to my home network and have figured out how to control the main zone via Airplay but don't know how to get the Airplay to control the "Zone 2" speakers independent from the Main Zone. I can only get the Airplay to control the Main Zone speakers.Any help here would be much appreciated. Pioneer's website says that this receiver is supposed to be capable of having a 2nd zone controlled by the Airplay feature. HELP!!!

Also, I am wanting to hook up a television in that same "Zone 2" location. The receiver only has 1 HDMI out, and that HDMI out is being used for the Main Zone 5.1 set-up. I don't want to use a HDMI splitter and don't want to spend crazy money for a receiver with multiple HDMI out connections. What other digital out connections does this receiver have besides HDMI I could use to get a digital video signal to that second TV? I understand that the audio will always be an analog signal and am not concerned with that. I just want to make sure I can still get an HD feed on my tv out there from my DirecTV / DVD / Blu-Ray connected to the Receiver. Running wires is not an issue for me at all as the receiver is just on the other side of the wall from the patio. As said before, any input here is much appreciated. I am a pretty big noob when it comes to understanding the inner workings and features of these home receivers.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
90,423 Posts
Not familiar with how Pioneer does it, but with Denon AVRs, you simply select the NET/USB source in Zone 2 just as you would select any other source in Zone 2 and then stream your Airplay source to the Zone 2 speakers. Also note the only digital video output jack is the single HDMI monitor out jack so you would need to use an HDMI splitter to pass a digital signal to Zone 2, although note you could use the component video output as long as the source was connected via component video as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I went back to the store I bought the receiver from and was talking with the salesman there. This VSX-60 model is not capable of outputting video to a second zone. As such, I plan on returning the receiver and weighing my other options. The new Denon 3313 allows an HDMI output to a 2nd zone giving high-def content to each zone at just over $1,000. I may get that one but honestly don't want to spend that much. I would prefer to stay in the price-point of the VSX-60 and have the ability to send a high-def video feed to the second zone. If anyone knows of any good alternatives, please advise. The salesman was selling hard the Denon 3313 to me. It looks like a really nice receiver but as said before just a little more costly than what I was hoping to spend. Just wanted to add this and give a heads up out there to anyone with a multi-zone setup similar to mine and wanting to have 1 central receiver control it all. The VSX-60 is a very nice receiver but is a bit lacking with the multi-zone capabilities. And if anyone has any recommendations for me on an alternative receiver, please advise. Thanks! This site is great for learning a wealth of information about this kind of stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts