AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to narrow down to one receiver the past couple of week and have been stuck on a few different receivers. I was hoping to get some feedback on what might be the big plus's and minus's of the following systems if you had to choose one.

Onkyo SR707/NR807

Onkyo SR876

Pioneer Elite SC-05/SC-07

Pioneer VSX 21TXH/23TXH

There are some really good prices atm on some of the older models listed. Is it really worth getting a new model right now?

Jeff

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The Pioneer SC-07 is the best of the group. It's MSRP is $2200 and can be found for less than half of that. It sports Class D amps that run VERY cool and are more efficient than the usual A/B type amps. Two HDMI outs (can run two separate signals simultaneously), THX Ultra 2 certification (3.2 ohm stable), Ethernet, Wolfson DACs, 3 year Warranty. The prices I have seen this unit at are sick, and a steal. This really compares to the 906 from Onkyo.

The Onkyo 876 is also an Ultra 2 amp but the typical A/B type amp. Power between the two should be almost identical. The 876 sports the HQV Reon video chip which is awesome for older 480i/p sources that need to be upscaled to 1080p. If you have a newer, good HDTV, this may not matter too much. How many VCR/Laser Disc movies will you watch. If you have a Blu-Ray or upscaling DVD player the Reon may not help enough to notice. The 876 is a fine unit but more expensive than the better SC-07.

The 807 will add Networking abilities to the 806, but outside of that they are close. You can update the firmware with the Ethernet port, which is very nice. Power will be a step down from the two models above.

The SC-05 is not 3.2 ohm stable but still a power house. Only one HDMI out (like all the others beside the SC-07). Very similar to the SC-07, but pricing for both is very close and would push me to the SC-07. I am a THX Ultra 2 kind of guy as you never know if you will need a 4 ohm stable AVR.

I bought my Onkyo TX-SR805 before my speakers but was set on Ultra 2. So glad I did as I ended up buying 4 ohm speakers. This may not matter to you. Either way you go, both companies make nice stuff. The Ice amps in the Pioneers run MUCH cooler than the Onkyos. The prices I have seen on the Pioneers make them VERY attractive and I would steer you towards them. Don't wait too long as they are making room for the new models (which don't add that much). I love Onkyo, but I used to own a Pioneer AVR (which I really liked). Good Luck!

Edit: Something that would help is the type of speakers you have, and how you plan on using the AVR.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mbyrnes,

Thanks for the very helpful suggestion. It gets a bit confusing when you stare at all the specifications lists. My system will be the Klipsch 5.1 CDT 5600 series.

I'm not sure what the system will sound like in the new room, so having 7.1 as an option is good.

It looks like the speakers are 8 ohm, so the SC-07 might be a little overkill. Would you agree? Have you had any experience with the new Elite models VSX-21TXH or VSX-23TXH?

Edit: The system will be used mostly for TV/Movies, and secondary for Music/Games.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.