AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a pioneer av 1131. When I go into speaker setup (crossover) and change from small to large speaker my sub output seams to quit? I have 4 large towers and would like the settings to be true to what I have. I have recalibrated speakers after changing settings to large speaker..still no sub. When I change it back to small the sub works again? What am I missing? Any help surely would be appreciated!! Thank you!!! I believe I got it..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi,

When you set your speakers to large, it removes bass management and assumes full range speakers. When you set speakers to small, in includes bass management, so the crossover is used and sent to your sub.

Very best,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

When you set your speakers to large, it removes bass management and assumes full range speakers. When you set speakers to small, in includes bass management, so the crossover is used and sent to your sub.

Very best,
Which way is best? Should I be using the small option? It has brought greater power to all the speakers set on large..thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
would like the settings to be true to what I have.
Set them to small as that is what they are.
Unless your speakers are truly full range and capable of playing down to 20hz then they are "Small".
Your system is working the way it is intended.
Setting them to Small sends any output below the crossover frequency from them to the sub. Generally this crossover is set to higher than the speakers low end frequency response. So if your speakers are rated at 60-20,000hz, then set the crossover to 80hz. This takes the pressure off them trying to play frequencies below their capability and will allow them to play frequencies above that point easier/cleaner.
If you set them to Large then they will be sent the full range signal (and this can go below 20hz) and the sub is only sent what is in the LFE channel. which is nothing unless you are listening to 5.1. or 7.1 source (the .1 is the LFE channel for the sub).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Set them to small as that is what they are.
Unless your speakers are truly full range and capable of playing down to 20hz then they are "Small".
Your system is working the way it is intended.
Setting them to Small sends any output below the crossover frequency from them to the sub. Generally this crossover is set to higher than the speakers low end frequency response. So if your speakers are rated at 60-20,000hz, then set the crossover to 80hz. This takes the pressure off them trying to play frequencies below their capability and will allow them to play frequencies above that point easier/cleaner.
If you set them to Large then they will be sent the full range signal (and this can go below 20hz) and the sub is only sent what is in the LFE channel. which is nothing unless you are listening to 5.1. or 7.1 source (the .1 is the LFE channel for the sub).
Gotcha..much appreciate your help!!! Going to switch back to small & recalibrate

·
Registered
530 Posts
Which way is best? Should I be using the small option? It has brought greater power to all the speakers set on large..thanks for your input!
Set them to small when using a sub. Set them to large when not using a sub. That's best, as it tells the AVR how to manage bass by sending low frequencies at your crossover setting to the subs and not to your speakers when speakers are set to small, and when set to large, it stops sending this to the subs and assumes your large speakers are full range and can produce the full range (this is more common to do with towers, not bookshelves, hence "large.")

Best is depending on what you are doing, how you like it and what you're using.

Very best,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts