AVS Forum banner

761 - 780 of 6459 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/16610144


Joerod, we are still waiting for your review on the 320/23FD.

yes we are
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #763 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/16611219


Coming tomorrow.

look forward to it. you haven't by chance gotten your hands on the new jvc player have you? after using it for almost a week, i've dubbed it the poor man's oppo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/16611860


look forward to it. you haven't by chance gotten your hands on the new jvc player have you? after using it for almost a week, i've dubbed it the poor man's oppo.

Are planning to keep the JVC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #765 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/16612047


Are planning to keep the JVC?

i am - really like it - not for everyone - lacks analogue outputs, no pq adjustments, and blinding blue lights on the front display that could ruin a ht setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hello everyone -

This is my first post here and I must say that I really enjoy everyone's enthusiasm and expertise regarding these products. I have a

Pioneer Elite Pro-1130HD w/external media reciever. I am interested in purchasing the 23FD, main reasons - Elite brand matching for cosmetics and compatibilty and naturally for performance and product quality. Now, I am nowhere near audiophile knowledge when it comes to optimum setup of A/V components. I thought that an HDMI connect was the best for A/V PQ and audio quality. But after going through this thread - I see that the use of DACS and knowing about what channel (2.1 - 7.1?) one's equipment has seems to have me in the weeds. The only thing I see on the back of my media receiver is various Audio ins for Input 1 - 3.

Anyway - I have found a company that provides modified units(many brands including Pioneer) for MultiRegion, MultiZone and HD-SDI.

I am interested in the MultiRegion modification(my wife likes the discs from Russia/Europe that MoscowFlix provides).

2 things have me concerned - Does my media receiver even support HD-SDI?is it worth the upgrade?

Secondly - If you select from the list one of the modified players (say the BDP-05FD with MultiRegion, MultiZone) if you click the tab that says Modification Details - in the description it will say that Future Firmware Update proof: Yes.

Is this a good thing? Is this so any future update doesn't wipe out his modifcation?

To sum it up I guess - I'm going to contact this company and see if they are going to release a 23FD or if I need to buy one and send it in - I'm definite on the MultiRegion thing but was wondering about the HD-SDI and Firmware update issue.

Here's the company - I can't do the URL (need to have 3 posts)

jvbdigital on the left panel click on Pioneer under CodeFree players

Any thoughts or input regarding what is the best setup for an 1130HD or the modifications is appreciated - All ideas and critiques welcome!!!

Thanks rranger in Chicago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger /forum/post/16612221


Hello everyone -

This is my first post here and I must say that I really enjoy everyone's enthusiasm and expertise regarding these products. I have a

Pioneer Elite Pro-1130HD w/external media reciever. I am interested in purchasing the 23FD, main reasons - Elite brand matching for cosmetics and compatibilty and naturally for performance and product quality. Now, I am nowhere near audiophile knowledge when it comes to optimum setup of A/V components. I thought that an HDMI connect was the best for A/V PQ and audio quality. But after going through this thread - I see that the use of DACS and knowing about what channel (2.1 - 7.1?) one's equipment has seems to have me in the weeds. The only thing I see on the back of my media receiver is various Audio ins for Input 1 - 3.

Anyway - I have found a company that provides modified units(many brands including Pioneer) for MultiRegion, MultiZone and HD-SDI.

I am interested in the MultiRegion modification(my wife likes the discs from Russia/Europe that MoscowFlix provides).

2 things have me concerned - Does my media receiver even support HD-SDI?is it worth the upgrade?

Secondly - If you select from the list one of the modified players (say the BDP-05FD with MultiRegion, MultiZone) if you click the tab that says Modification Details - in the description it will say that Future Firmware Update proof: Yes.

Is this a good thing? Is this so any future update doesn't wipe out his modifcation?

To sum it up I guess - I'm going to contact this company and see if they are going to release a 23FD or if I need to buy one and send it in - I'm definite on the MultiRegion thing but was wondering about the HD-SDI and Firmware update issue.

Here's the company - I can't do the URL (need to have 3 posts)

jvbdigital on the left panel click on Pioneer under CodeFree players

Any thoughts or input regarding what is the best setup for an 1130HD or the modifications is appreciated - All ideas and critiques welcome!!!

Thanks rranger in Chicago

rranger,


i am not overly familiar with mods and hacks to make players region free, but i do suggest you ge the particulars from the company if they are providing their own warranty (manufacturer's will be voided) and how future firmware upgrades for disc playability issues are handled. Problem discs like T2 Skynet have rendered some players worthless without software updates for the complex java code. You might be better off getting a cheap upscaling universal dvd player for the russian titles and leave the 23FD for Blu Ray discs and North american dvds.


As for audio connections, HDMI is a great way to go and is the best for video in almost all cases. Audio can be a different story - all comes down to where and how the digital sound track from the disc is converted to analogue and amplified out of your speakers. The Audio componentry - particularly processors and DACs are critical in deciding how you want to transmit sound from the player (HDMI or analogue). If you have a non-HDMI receiver or an HDMI receiver with poor DACs, your sound will likely be much better over an analogue connection (8 RCA cables in common parlance). If you have a newish receiver with decent DACs, you can easily bitstream the audio to your receiver to be decoded and then pass the video to your display. While HDMI is the optimal video feed to your display, multiple connections (ie thru receiver) can cause HDMI handshake issues. You will have to test connections and cables to ensure there's no handshake issues.


I would look to see if there is a thread with more info on the media receiver you reference above - am not familiar and a thread for it or the display will probably give you a lot more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Thanks Vincent -


I'll have to check what the audio guts of the stock media receiver are made of. I really appreciate your input on the variety of issues -

I'll let you know the feedback from the company that performs the modifications.


Have a great day -


rr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 ·
While there is a massive caveat that this has been promised for nearly a year, rumors persist that Pioneer might deliver on the promised firmware udate for speed optimization for the 51/05. Considering the common chipset and other hardware, it's very possible that IF it is delivered to the 51/05, the 320/23 may also benefit from the firmware update to bring more speedy load and response times:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16611383


Once again, do NOT purchase this product with this promise in mind - just know that the rumors exist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Hi everyone,

I searched but did not find anything specifically comparing the two. I can get the 23FD for less than what the Oppo costs, at that price point I am having a hard time making a decision because you do hear very good things about the Oppo.


I currently have a PS3 which is what I use to play my blu-rays; the PS3 is good (as far as I can tell) but the main issue I have with it is that it doesn't have multichannel analog connections which I need because I have a receiver without HDMI connectivity (Yamaha RX-Z9). I recently purchased an Elite 151FD so the PQ is outstanding when watching blu-rays, now I want to be able to get outstanding SQ but cannot because of the HDMI limitation on my Yamaha.


I know this is the 23FD thread so I will get some bias towards this player, but I figured who better to ask than folks that actually own the 23FD.


thanks for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzz /forum/post/16614184


Hi everyone,

I searched but did not find anything specifically comparing the two. I can get the 23FD for less than what the Oppo costs, at that price point I am having a hard time making a decision because you do hear very good things about the Oppo.


I currently have a PS3 which is what I use to play my blu-rays; the PS3 is good (as far as I can tell) but the main issue I have with it is that it doesn't have multichannel analog connections which I need because I have a receiver without HDMI connectivity (Yamaha RX-Z9). I recently purchased an Elite 151FD so the PQ is outstanding when watching blu-rays, now I want to be able to get outstanding SQ but cannot because of the HDMI limitation on my Yamaha.


I know this is the 23FD thread so I will get some bias towards this player, but I figured who better to ask than folks that actually own the 23FD.


thanks for your input.

I own the Pioneer 23Fd and the Oppo BDP-83. I would recommend the Oppo for the DVD quality, speed, and universal playback abilities. But you'll be happy with either one.


CD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
thanks Cattledog,


so is the speed difference very noticeable between the two? How would you say they both perform from a sound quality perspective? I would be using their multi analog capabilities, so I am curious if one is better than the other on in that respect.


I appreciate your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog /forum/post/16614967


I own the Pioneer 23Fd and the Oppo BDP-83. I would recommend the Oppo for the DVD quality, speed, and universal playback abilities. But you'll be happy with either one.


CD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzz /forum/post/16615106


thanks Cattledog,


so is the speed difference very noticeable between the two? How would you say they both perform from a sound quality perspective? I would be using their multi analog capabilities, so I am curious if one is better than the other on in that respect.


I appreciate your input.

See my post #656 in this thread. I'm using HDMI so I can't comment on the analog outs.


CD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #775 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazzz /forum/post/16614184


Hi everyone,

I searched but did not find anything specifically comparing the two. I can get the 23FD for less than what the Oppo costs, at that price point I am having a hard time making a decision because you do hear very good things about the Oppo.


I currently have a PS3 which is what I use to play my blu-rays; the PS3 is good (as far as I can tell) but the main issue I have with it is that it doesn't have multichannel analog connections which I need because I have a receiver without HDMI connectivity (Yamaha RX-Z9). I recently purchased an Elite 151FD so the PQ is outstanding when watching blu-rays, now I want to be able to get outstanding SQ but cannot because of the HDMI limitation on my Yamaha.


I know this is the 23FD thread so I will get some bias towards this player, but I figured who better to ask than folks that actually own the 23FD.


thanks for your input.

over hdmi, the argument for the 23FD over the Oppo is weak. For $225 less, the argument for the 320 over the oppo is cogent if you're on a budget. Oppo is faster and slightly better at SD DVDs with displays under 52" than the 320/23FD (noticeably better on FP screens). I think the 320 DACs might be a hair better than the Oppo, which would suggest they might even be better in the 23FD (cannot confirm).


Unless you are using component to your display, I would struggle to make the $200 argument for the 23FD over the 320, let alone the Oppo.


If you're looking for a quick pure hdmi transport, look at the JVC player for $250. I think most folks with displays under 50" or so would struggle to tell the difference in SD DVD PQ amongst the Oppo, Pioneer, and JVC. Pioneer and Oppo offer a lot more PQ tweaking though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I would be doing HDMI from the player to my 151FD which is a 60" display, then multichannel analog from the player to my Yamaha RX-Z9. DVD upscaling is not super important to me but it would be a nice bonus, my goal is to get outstanding PQ with blu-ray along with outstanding sound by being able to hear DTS-HD and other advanced audio formats that I cannot experience right now due to the lack of HDMI connectivity on my Yamaha.

I can get the 23FD for a little less $$'s than the Oppo so pricing is out of the equation, the pioneer also has a better warranty (2 years vs 1 year for the 83) but the Oppo gives you some more options, is faster (comparable to the PS3), and it is well regarded, hence why I am having a hard time deciding what the best bang for my buck is...



Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 /forum/post/16615639


over hdmi, the argument for the 23FD over the Oppo is weak. For $225 less, the argument for the 320 over the oppo is cogent if you're on a budget. Oppo is faster and slightly better at SD DVDs with displays under 52" than the 320/23FD. I think the 320 DACs might be a hair better than the Oppo, which would suggest they might even be better in the 23FD (cannot confirm).


Unless you are using component to your display, I would struggle to make the $200 argument for the 23FD over the 320, let alone the Oppo.


If you're looking for a quick pure hdmi transport, look at the JVC player for $250. I think most folks with displays under 50" or so would struggle to tell the difference in SD DVD PQ amongst the Oppo, Pioneer, and JVC. Pioneer and Oppo offer a lot more PQ tweaking though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,047 Posts
Instead of going into a long detailed review I have decided to do a simple "My Take" on the latest from Pioneer. These players have been out for a little while and I did not have my reference PJ (Sony VW200) for the first couple weeks I had them. I almost feel like this is deja vu all over again since this feels like the 05/51 commentary from the past. Not that it is a bad thing.



PicQ- It is getting more and more difficult to distinguish Blu ray players and 1080p/24 payback. Same goes for what I have seen in 2009 so far as well. The Pioneer 23FD/320 are no different. They both put out an outstanding image that is hard to find any fault with. They both upconvert color to 48 bit which depending on your display could improve color gradation. Passing upconverted color is much more difficult since Video Processors and many receivers don't. Luckily the latest receivers are at least allowing 36 bit passthru. And since many displays don't accept 48 bit anyway most of us are good for now. To me, sending 48 bit is still most optimal since I believe the more info sent the better. So how do these compare to the 09FD? I would have to say right on actually. The biggest advantage the 09FD has is its dual HDMI outputs. I am spoiled and love sending the audio to my receiver while sending the video straight to my PJ. I have compared many times over and see the most optimal image with those routes. The less video conversion the better! The Blu ray playback is exceptional while the SD dvd does lack a little when compared to the Marvell chip in the 09FD. Not that it is unwatchable. Still though, if you are primarily planning to use it for Blu ray then don't look back.


As for sound I really didn't go to crazy and mainly bitstreamed. No complaints. Obviously the analog options are there and I would not hesitate to use them if it were in my main set up or at least compare it to bitstreaming.


Other features... The coolest feature again is the nice video adjustments. You get pretty much the same as you do with the 09FD! Which is a heck of a lot for this price range (especially for the 320). Being able to dial in the picture is what makes these players stand outs. Whether I was using them in my main set up or on my new panasonic 50" plasma (their latest and greatest) I was able to tweak the image so it was every bit as good as my 09FD for Blu ray payback. At least equal with all going thru my 886 PRO. BD Live is also nice with 1GB of internal memory. Life is so much easier being able to update using a wireless Ethernet adapter. Not sure I can go back to the old fashioned way!
I have to agree with the majority here and say that load times do need to improve to next level. I usually don't worry about it and just do something else while the movie loads. The problem is after you have a player that can load really fast (like the Oppo) it gets harder going back. Speaking of Oppo I would have to agree with Cattledog on his assessment. You get pretty much the same for Blu ray and the Oppo may be slightly better for SD dvds. Still though, you can't go wrong with either player. The Pioneers may have a better cosmetic look but that is purely taste.


In conclusion if you are on the fence and can't decide between them then I would opt for the 320 (which is the one I kept). Unless you have an Elite receiver you are trying to match of course. The 320 is an amazing bang for the buck. It is hands down the top of that price range. Of course you can't go wrong with either or.



On tap for me: I am planning a Summer shootout between the new Denon DVD-A1UDCI, 09FD, S5000ES and Oppo... Stay tuned...
 
761 - 780 of 6459 Posts
Top