AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new in box Pioneer BDP-51FD for what appears to be an exceptional price - $150.

Thought I'm new to blue-ray, from what I hear, this is a great player.

Basically, my question is this - what makes this better than a $80 blue ray at WalMart? I'm on a very sharp budget, and every dollar counts. I'm not a big believer in paying for "extra features" that I'm unlikely to use. However, I do really appreciate high quality on the basic function.

Isn't image quality essentially the same from player to player?

Finally, since I won't use the player for 6 months or so, does player technology change so fast that I'd be better off holding on to my $150 and spending it in 6 months?

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/16929235

I just purchased a new in box Pioneer BDP-51FD for what appears to be an exceptional price - $150.

Thought I'm new to blue-ray, from what I hear, this is a great player.

Basically, my question is this - what makes this better than a $80 blue ray at WalMart? I'm on a very sharp budget, and every dollar counts. I'm not a big believer in paying for "extra features" that I'm unlikely to use. However, I do really appreciate high quality on the basic function.

Isn't image quality essentially the same from player to player?

Finally, since I won't use the player for 6 months or so, does player technology change so fast that I'd be better off holding on to my $150 and spending it in 6 months?

I would definitely keep it. There is a BIG difference between this player the the $100 Walmart model - especially the sound quality, and settings.

The build quality is also MUCH better. This was a $600 player less than a year ago. This player is often compared to $300+ players, so it is really bargain.

Since quality is an issue to you, I don't think you will find a better bargain than this - for a long time. I'm new to Blu-Ray also, and I don't watch many movies, but I didn't think I could pass this up, so I got one.

It also does a beautiful job with regular DVD's...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.