AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new in box Pioneer BDP-51FD for what appears to be an exceptional price - $150.

Thought I'm new to blue-ray, from what I hear, this is a great player.

Basically, my question is this - what makes this better than a $80 blue ray at WalMart? I'm on a very sharp budget, and every dollar counts. I'm not a big believer in paying for "extra features" that I'm unlikely to use. However, I do really appreciate high quality on the basic function.

Isn't image quality essentially the same from player to player?

Finally, since I won't use the player for 6 months or so, does player technology change so fast that I'd be better off holding on to my $150 and spending it in 6 months?

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu /forum/post/16929235

I just purchased a new in box Pioneer BDP-51FD for what appears to be an exceptional price - $150.

Thought I'm new to blue-ray, from what I hear, this is a great player.

Basically, my question is this - what makes this better than a $80 blue ray at WalMart? I'm on a very sharp budget, and every dollar counts. I'm not a big believer in paying for "extra features" that I'm unlikely to use. However, I do really appreciate high quality on the basic function.

Isn't image quality essentially the same from player to player?

Finally, since I won't use the player for 6 months or so, does player technology change so fast that I'd be better off holding on to my $150 and spending it in 6 months?

I would definitely keep it. There is a BIG difference between this player the the $100 Walmart model - especially the sound quality, and settings.

The build quality is also MUCH better. This was a $600 player less than a year ago. This player is often compared to $300+ players, so it is really bargain.

Since quality is an issue to you, I don't think you will find a better bargain than this - for a long time. I'm new to Blu-Ray also, and I don't watch many movies, but I didn't think I could pass this up, so I got one.

It also does a beautiful job with regular DVD's...

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Since I'm not sure what exactly would be the best fit to move this thread. It should either be asked in the Pioneer 51FD master thread for owners of this player to provide other suggestions OR in the sticky entitled "help me chose a BR player"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.