AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this LD player for a long time and I am finally getting to the point where my HT will be able to use high-end audio (beond stereo). My question for anyone who may know: does the optical digital connection handle AC-3 signals? I also have a CLD-59 which has the AC-3 RF (coax) output, the name being very descriptive with matching connections that can be found on many receivers. If the optical output is streaming the data to the receiver and the receiver is capable of decoding various audio formats, I would think that the optical connection can transfer AC-3. Unfortunately, it looks as if the optical connection was ahead of its time on this player and there is no description of its use in the manual.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
You will need to have the LD modifyed to output AC-3. You need an RF out like your CLD-59.

THe digital output will pass a digital signal. Even DTS tracks from DTS LDs.

For Rf signals, you will need a demodulator (either outboard or built into your receiver).

JEff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. An additional question: if the optical output will pass all digital data including dts, how is the 'RF' encoded on the disk? My understanding is that AC-3 = dolby digital and I would think if the receiver could decode dolby digital then the optical output would be able to pass any sound information available on the LD. Is there a separate 'track' for RF, that would not be pushed over the optical link? Is my asumption about the receiver incorrect--do you need to feed it both the optical and the RF to be able to listen to all available formats of audio? Just trying to understand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
yes, you need to have both connected in order to have access to all the audio options on an AC-3 encoded LD.

one other odd outcropping of the mixed-audio elements on LDs is that if you don't also hook up the ANALOG audio terminals, you won't get ANY audio at all from LDs that only had analog audio encoded (if you're a long-time collector like I and most others here, you probably have a lot of LD titles wherein this is the case).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle
Thanks for the info. An additional question: if the optical output will pass all digital data including dts, how is the 'RF' encoded on the disk? My understanding is that AC-3 = dolby digital and I would think if the receiver could decode dolby digital then the optical output would be able to pass any sound information available on the LD. Is there a separate 'track' for RF, that would not be pushed over the optical link? Is my asumption about the receiver incorrect--do you need to feed it both the optical and the RF to be able to listen to all available formats of audio? Just trying to understand.
It has to do with the way the Dolby Digital signal is put on laserdiscs. It occupies the space normally used by one of the analog audio channels. If Pioneer had elected to put the necessary circuitry in the players, the Dolby Digital signal could have been demodulated and made available via the digital outputs. But this would have increased player prices, which Pioneer wanted to avoid. They might also have wanted to avoid potential confusion in setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.