AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I like the vr6070. I have only played with it at the store, so I don't know all the anoying glitches it may have, but it does a better-than-expected job in HT. I couldn't get a good feel for it in 2ch stereo as the listening room was far from perfect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MarkB49,

I'm between these two units because I have some Best Buy store credit that I will be using and they don't presently carry the D912, but do have the D812 for $289. The VR6070 is on clearance for $329, but I seen an open box complete unit for the same price as the D812.

I had the guy in the audio dept. check if they would be getting the D912 any time soon and he said the D812 was best Pioneer they would be carrying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i had the kenwood 6070 for a month or so beofre i returned it, it made popping noises. i assume mine was defective? or a bi product of low current design?

i provided me with good enough sound for music, i liked the sound of it very much, but i must admit, it sounded fairly weak, as if it didnt have enough power to drive my speakers until i turned the knob about one third of the way up.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
RnBfan, turning the volume up to 1/3 or 1/2 is not unusual. Your old Kenwood was defective, and those noises are not a byproduct of low current design.

Sorny

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can't say much about the Pioneer, but as the owner of a Kenwood VR-6070 I'd say go for the Kenwood. My setup is split in two rooms right now (temporary till the basement is done...)...

VR-6070 - connected to...

Theater Speakers: NHT VT1.4 with VS1.4s for center and surround, subwoofers are a Paradigm Servo-15 with x-30 crossover.

Music: Paradigm Studio Reference 40s with a Paradigm PDR-12 sub (no crossover).

Everything is connected with Monster THX cable (white, model S14-2RCL) and RCA banana connectors (Home Depot...VERY good, believe it or not!!)

I play movies, CDs and DVD-As from the system and have been very satisified. This is in spite of the poor acoustics in the room (two story family room with loads of windows). With this combination I've found that the sound fields are VERY accurately played out. I don't think the THX certification makes the receiver (or any other one for that matter...) but I do think it helps with overall power. The system plays low volue dialog (whispers...) clearly and accurately, yet in the next instant can blow your socks off with a loud explosion. All without distortion. Other great features are the RF AND IR remote (handy for me since the unit is actually behind my head) and the the plethora of connection options.

I do have a couple of criticisms though. First, I do think the setup is overly complicated. It did take me a few weeks (a minute here..a minute there) to get the whole thing tuned correctly. Most of the problem is the very unintuitive menu system. OSD would be very helpful here, since the small LCD display can only provide the barest information. Another minor issue is that the FM reception is pretty bad and the antenna connection is not a standard 75ohm connector. It took a little work, but I did manage to connect an external antenna up to the system, but the reception could still be better :). Again, this is a minor complaint...

The future plan is to move the system downstairs to a dedicated room. I'll be giving the component video outputs a good workout then. The plan there is to hook everything up to a Quadscan Elite HD and a Sony 1272Q 7" CRT on a 106inch screen :). I haven't chosen a DVD player for the system yet (the JVC changer will stay upstairs), but it will most likely be a single disc unit.

Anyway, I know this was probaly too long ;-)..but I hope it helps!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
$329 is an awesome price. When I got mine $400 was a good price, so you'd be getting a great steal. The 6070 is generally regarded as the best value for the price. There is a sound & vision review that was very good somewhere, but I can't find the link. They gave it good marks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.