AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this isn't speifically HD-DVD player related but in a way it is because of all the heated debate and discussions taking place over Toshiba's 1080p/24 possible firmware release.

Rather confusing and possibly misleading article or I'm wrong and Pioneer is really dumping 1080p/24 in their future Plasma displays?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12760_7....html?tag=blog

All I have to say is DOH!

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
They refer to the native panel refresh rate, not the input frequencies supported.

Note: if something is confusing and possibly misleading, it is usually better to try to clarify and confirm it (e.g. by asking on the plasma forum here on AVS) rather than jumping the gun and ruining the forum's S/N ratio.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
The main problem with the 72Hz refresh mode is that it makes judder worse when supplied with a 60p signal rather than a 24p one, because their models don't correctly perform inverse telecine. Of course, 72Hz refresh will create extra judder on video sources, no matter what.

I am not that familiar with the Pioneer displays, but I was under the impression that they were 60Hz and 72Hz switchable. Aren't they 60Hz by default with a menu option that enables 72Hz mode? If so, it would make the most sense for Pioneer to simply add video processing like Silicon Optix HQV with inverse telecine capability.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I thought that pioneer COULD do content detection and automatically swith its panel from 60Hz to 50Hz or 72 Hz?

BTW, AFIK, pioneer plasmas cannot accept a 1:1 pixel 24fps signal in. They must be fed a 60i telecined signal at 720p/1080 that is (hopefully) correctly IVTC'ed, then scaled.

I just wish tv manufacturers would concentrate on making "big PC-monitors" optimised for natural video, then people could use PC, video processors or anything at its optimal performance.

-k

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
I thought that pioneer COULD do content detection and automatically swith its panel from 60Hz to 50Hz or 72 Hz?

Nope, that would be a big selling point if they did. It's probably unrealistic to expect automatic mode switching based on content until displays hit 120Hz, a multiple of 24p, 30p, and 60i.

Quote:
BTW, AFIK, pioneer plasmas cannot accept a 1:1 pixel 24fps signal in. They must be fed a 60i telecined signal at 720p/1080 that is (hopefully) correctly IVTC'ed, then scaled.

Yes, they do. That's why Pioneer is pushing the 1080p24 output capability of its Blu-ray player, because that's what their 72Hz mode requires to eliminate judder -- as they don't correctly handle inverse telecine of 60i sources.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0

Nope, that would be a big selling point if they did. It's probably unrealistic to expect automatic mode switching based on content until displays hit 120Hz, a multiple of 24p, 30p, and 60i.

I dont understand that. The native panel rate is simply a means of displaying content. If it has a rate that is a multiple of all accepted input rates then one may leave it at a fixed rate. But I dont see that as solving the internal processing.

If e.g. a "[email protected]" telecined stream is received, a poor content detector would lead to this material presented as de-interlaced, frame-doubled material on a 120Hz screen. You would still see "combed" frames periodically and generally poor PQ.

What is needed is detecting this as a 3:2 pulldown (US) or a 2:2 pulldown (Europe), matching frames to assemble the native ~24fps movie, then presenting that movie in the best possible way according to panel limitations.

Quote:
Yes, they do. That's why Pioneer is pushing the 1080p24 output capability of its Blu-ray player, because that's what their 72Hz mode requires to eliminate judder -- as they don't correctly handle inverse telecine of 60i sources.

Ok. It makes sense to let the source output a native rate, as that is what is stored on the dang disk.

Now, if only the tv industry could get their head out of their --- and make displays capable of 1920x1080 pixels with no scaling and 24 to 60Hz frame-rates, then I will count on my PC for doing the processing...

-k

·
Registered
19,966 Posts
Pioneer plasmas are only running at 72Hz when you enable Pure Cinema ADV. Otherwise they are 60Hz displays.

72Hz works perfectly fine on the Pioneers with properly flagged 480i/1080i/1080p24 material. It's processor has issues with 480p/720p material that contain both film and video material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.