AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know it is lame to ask about such an old player, but I am currently holding out for a blu-ray (or maybe that new LG). Anyway, overall I have had no problems with the DV-414, but recently I made a DVD-R using iDVD, and it doesn't run properly. It is a slide show with music and transitions. After the first slide, the audio cuts out during transitions, and sometimes skips entire slides. When the skips occur, the transitions pick up speed.

I tried the same DVD on several computers and other players with no problem. Am I facing an irreconcilable compatability issue here?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you tried using different media to see if that makes a difference? I used to have the 414 and remember that it was quite picky about what types of media I used in it. It wasn't very friendly with VCD/SVCD's either so I can only imagine what type of DVD±R issues it has.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used VCD's without problem (or that is without problems beyond those of the VCD itself), and have never had a regular DVD fail.

·
Registered
655 Posts
jaz50y,

Tell us which burner and DVD-R media you used and what speed you burned it at. DV-414 is actually one of the better players out there and is a lot less picky when it comes to PI/PO errors due to it's twin-laser pickup system. (I know, I still use my DV-414).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has anyone used their component out on their DV414? I've never used it for 4 years until I tried the other day and it doen't work with my Panasonic TV.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Newyorker
Has anyone used their component out on their DV414? I've never used it for 4 years until I tried the other day and it doen't work with my Panasonic TV.
There might be a switch on the back of that model to designate component vid vs. composite & S-vid outputs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Scamardo
There might be a switch on the back of that model to designate component vid vs. composite & S-vid outputs.
I switched it. That didn't work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I burned the DVD using iDVD at 8x on a dual processor G4 Mac. Like I say, first time I ever ran into a problem with the DV414. I use the SVHS and Coax audio out since I switch video sources using a Lexicon CP2.

·
Registered
655 Posts
jaz50y,

I think it might of been the media if this is the first time you've ran into this. Have you tried burning another copy?

Newyorker,

I use the component outs on my DV-414. There is a switch on the back. However, this is not a progressive-scan DVD player so the output is 480i. I've hooked it up to non-HD Panasonic and Toshiba CRT's just fine with it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kermee

Newyorker,

I use the component outs on my DV-414. There is a switch on the back. However, this is not a progressive-scan DVD player so the output is 480i. I've hooked it up to non-HD Panasonic and Toshiba CRT's just fine with it.
I didn't know that. My TV is a 5 year old panasonic. One of the first HDTV capable rear projection CRTs. I was able to get the component to work with a pioneer 563a dvd player with the component connection at 1080i so I know the tv works. Do you think that the dv414 justs puts out an incompatible signal?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Newyorker,

It's quite possible that the Panasonic RPTV may not like 480i signals via component, although I have nothing to back that claim up (without knowing your exact model). It sounds like if the Pioneer 563A works with your Panasonic, then there's basically only two reasons why it doesn't work:

#1. The DV-414's component output is broken.

#2. Your Panasonic RPTV doesn't accept 480i signals from the components.

It's a bummer but hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kermee
Hi Newyorker,

It's quite possible that the Panasonic RPTV may not like 480i signals via component, although I have nothing to back that claim up (without knowing your exact model). It sounds like if the Pioneer 563A works with your Panasonic, then there's basically only two reasons why it doesn't work:

#1. The DV-414's component output is broken.

#2. Your Panasonic RPTV doesn't accept 480i signals from the components.

It's a bummer but hope this helps.
That does help. I was suspecting the 414 so I hope you are right. It's a lot easier to replace a DVD player than a 56" RPTV!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seem to have resolved the issue of playing burned discs. Learned that the Pioneer will not play +R at all, but when I burned at standard quality (rather than highest) and kept speed at 2x I got a DVD that works fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.