AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story. On Friday my wife says the magic words: I'd like a DVD player for our bedroom. I magicaly convert those words into: I'd like to move our old, non-progressive DVD player upstairs and get a new DVD player for the living room/theater. Here's what I've got:

Sony 34 inch widescreen XBR800 Direct View TV

Integra DTR 5.3 Receiver

Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher Speakers

After talking with a number of specialty stores, and remembering favorable reviews in Sound and Vision and Home Theater, I settle on the Pioneer 45A. I take it home, set it up and watch it a bit. The PQ is nice, but I'm starting to wonder if it could be better. That's when I get on the internet, and start really doing research. Now I wonder if the 963sa would be a better fit.

Here's what I'm looking for:

SACD (listening to Devorak from the Budapest festival was a revelation!)

$500.00 or lower -- absolute ceiling, I know the 47ai and the Dennon 2900 rock, but they're too expensive.

Picture Quality -- I mostly watch films, in the dark, of varying quality. Everything from indies to blockbusters

I've read the posts on the problems with both players. I could care less about the bass management problems with DVD-A on the Pioneer, but the chroma bug problem is a concer, as well as the fact that it is merely a flag reader. The lip sync problems on the Philips and the angle icon are equally unsettling.

What I would like to know is this: how do people in the real world like their players? I'm not just looking for those who have problems (although such responses are helpful) or those who have not used the players. Even a "I like my __" response would be great.

Should I return the Pioneer and go for the Philps? Thanks, in advance, for reading my post and responding if you get the chance!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Quote:
I've read the posts on the problems with both players. I could care less about the bass management problems with DVD-A on the Pioneer, but the chroma bug problem is a concer, as well as the fact that it is merely a flag reader.
If you own the player, do you see the Chroma Bug? Does it bother you? Have you noticed any problems with the deinterlacing? Seems like you have the tools to make your won judgment.

I have one, and in my rig, the CUE is hard to see (OK, I don't see it at all, even after some coaching from Don Munsil). I am happy with it, and am going to stay blissfully ignorant (although I did see the CUE with another player I own. The 45a did not come close to that).

Yes its a flag reader. As for gross errors, I only have one disc that has ever been a problem, and thats 101 Dalmatians II. That disc in this player (with Pure Cinema On) is a text book example of combing. So, I turn off PC for that title.

Perhaps other titles are poorly flagged, and that causes the player to output a soft image? Very likely. But since I don't have a RP82 Uberplayer, I have no point of comparison.

I am happy with the 45A. When another

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am very happy with my US Philips 963.

I have never observed any lip sync problems on the Philips.

After several months and many movies, I have never personally encountered the angle icon bug either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
eganz:

Which software version does your 963 have ?

(can be found when scrolling down below the obvius titles in the tool menus)

Thanks !

//John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.