AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been monitoring this and many other online forums and finally decided to jump in. This is the first thread I've opened (anywhere), so please bear with me. Now that the dust has finally settled, what is the general consensus between the Pioneer DV 59 Avi and the Denon DVD-5900. Basically, which is the better player. I've read that the 5900 has superior de-interlacing, but the 59 AVi has no macroblocking. Also, what are your thoughts on the audio side. I myself own a 5900, and compared to my previous players (Sony SCD-555ES, Denon DVD-3800, and Panasonic RP91), it is clearly a step up. I know that some may feel that a

comparison between the Denon DVD-2900 and the 59 Avi may be more appropiate, but shouldn't each company's respective competing flagship player be matched up against one another in a gruleing match to the death!:D I have, in my short time within the home thater fantasy, always owned and preferred Denon products, warts and all. No animosity here. Just curiosity.;)

Thak you

Juan:D

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
From what I have seen, yes, the 5900 has the macroblocking issue, but Denon has also said that they are working on a fix.

I have a 47ai and the de-interlacing sucks. Also from what I've read, the 59AVi is a step up, but still not as good as the best players. Plus all Pioneers have a noticeable layer change.

The 5900 is simply a better built machine. The Pioneer weighs 15 lbs or so, and the 5900 weighs 28 lbs. Isolation, vibration suppression, heavy duty power supplies cost money. You also have to remember that the Denon costs more, and is typically discounted less than the Pioneer too. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I believe the Pioneer has hdmi but does the denon 5900 have it or just dvi? The reason I ask is because hdmi is going to be replacing dvi? Thanks Greg

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Kevin, took the words right out of my mouth about the weight comparison. :)

As for HDMI, It really depends on what you mean by replacing. I just bought a DLP front projector from marantz. It uses DVI so until i replace this beast it doesnt really matter what happens in the marketplace. I guess my point is to just keep in mind what your product lifecycle is with the gear that might be interfacing with your DVD player.

The 5900 is a fantastic unit. If Denon fixes the macroblocking issue it will be without peer for the price IMO. Audio is stellar as well. If you've ever heard a Denon 2900, it blows it away.

John

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Well, here's another interesting perspective. :) I have had Pioneers for years: 414, 333, 05, 45a, 47ai, and I was on the natural path to get a 59AVi. But...

Here is what I would want "fixed" in the 47ai to move to another unit:

1) No chroma bug. 59AVi is OK here.

2) "Perfect" de-interlacing. 59AVi fails here.

3) No noticeable layer change. 59AVi fails this too.

I have also been looking at the 2900, the Yamaha 2300, and the Marantz 8400. None of these fix *all* the items I'm after. The 5900 actually is the closest. But I'm probably going to sit on the fence a little bit longer, and wait for Denon to fix the macroblocking issue in productions units, and I'm also intently looking at what the next generation units after the 2900, 2300, and 8400 look like.

I am kind of pissed that for a flagship DVD player, the 59AVi is just not there...

To me, buying a Denon is like going over to the "dark side," but if it's a better player, ...

·
Premium Member
11,889 Posts
The HDMI output of the 59 only offers longer runs then the DVI of the Denon, otherwise there really isn't a big difference. The Pioneer also offers 480i output via HDMI if you want to use an outboard scaler.

I haven't had the oppurtunity to sit down and listen to a DV59 unfortunately. I would love to have the oppurtunity though, just to see how it compares. The 5900 is an outstanding audio piece and is worth the price of admission for this alone.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Kris,

Using the HDMI/DVI output of the 5900 and 59Ai will there be much of a difference or will the PQ be essentially the same?

-Brian

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Kris,

Using the HDMI/DVI output of the 5900 and 59Ai will there be much of a difference or will the PQ be essentially the same?

-Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.