AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that Pioneer DV59AVi is a really interesting box. Not too expensive, but has both HDMI(or DVI/HDCP?) and 1394 audio. Some people may complain about it's analog sound/video quality, but hopefully with HDMI(or DVI) and 1394, limitation of this player's analog circuitry cannot limit the superb performance of following surround processor and/or HDTV/video processor. Then the only remaining concern could be chroma bug in deinterlacing/upconversion.

Had anybody tried this player with digital video connection, and evaluated the picture quality? How about 480i output through HDMI/DVI, 480p output through HDMI, 720p and 1080i?

·
Registered
114 Posts
there are a ton of other threads about this player.. but I have used it w/ 720p (HDMI to DVI on an HS10 projector) and it is exellent. I haven't regretted buying the player yet.

--Mark

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jheoaustin
Mark,

Thank you for your reply. Have you tried to find the chroma bug?
Check out other posts regarding this player. No one has reported seeing any CUE error with this player (with PureCinema 'On'). This has been repaired.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milenkod,

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried the search and couldn't find any definite indication of CUE. I am glad to discover that this would be THE DVD player for me.

One redundant question I have is, if I use 480i output on HDMI, there is no chance of introducing CUEs. Am I right?

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X6500H, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500, Martin Logan Speakers
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jheoaustin
Milenkod,

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried the search and couldn't find any definite indication of CUE. I am glad to discover that this would be THE DVD player for me.

One redundant question I have is, if I use 480i output on HDMI, there is no chance of introducing CUEs. Am I right?
This player doesn't have the Chroma Upsampling Bug. One of the European versions was tested for that and was found CUE free.

Just for your information, the CUE is introduced by the MPEG-2 decoder. The previous Mitsubishi chip used in all Pioneers and Denons had the CUE. But it seems that Mitsubishi fixed the problem for the Denon 2900 and the latest Pioneer (DV-59AVi [US], and DV-668/DV-868 [Europe]).

I ordered one and as soon as I receive it, I'll comment about it. Especially the sound quality.

:)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't get wrapped up in the CUE issue. I upgrade to the 59avi from the rp91 and I am very happy.

- picture via DVI is awesume. I set it 720p to match my display.

- ilink, so I finally get to take advantage of my a/v receiver's ilink input

The only negative I have is minor. DVD-A via DVI doesn't show any video. For example, Rumours DVD-A has pictures and a table of contents, that doesn't get display when playing.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gamerock,

I guess you are playing DVD-A audio actually through i.Link, neither DVI nor HDMI. DVI doesn't have audio transmission, and HDMI doesn't support DVD-A or SACD. So, what you meant is, when playing DVD-A through i.Link, you don't get video from HDMI. Am I right?

·
23,039 Posts
Interesting about no output from video on HDMI for DVD-A. Maybe one of the analog outputs would work. Some of the

DVD-As make you use the menus which is kinda hard to do with no video. And some have

video extras. The 47ai ouputs video out the analog outs and sends the audio bitstream out

the i.Link for DVD-A.

larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.