AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Both DVD players use exact same chipset and DAC's:

ES29LV160EB-70TGI EEprom (faster version, there's also 90ns)

MT1389EXE DVD Processor (very good processor, not as good as Zoran!!!)

64MB RAM

PCM1742 DAC (X 3)

Capacitors are of very decent quality.

The PCB's are exactly the same.

DV600 has OLDER firmware - can be upgraded to the very latest 09_2008 version.

DV600 has better USB power routing - straight from the PS board - hence it should power up 2.5 HDD quicker / easier.

DV610 has marginally quicker RAM (5ns vs. 6ns) but this is negligible.

Everything else is exactly the same. I would go for 600 if cheaper AND if you know how to upgrade the firmware.

I have DV610; brilliant picture and up scaling, mediocre sound Supports only plain FAT format - therefore it can read from HDD / memory sticks no larger than 4GB. Or large HDD but with two partitions - first one will have to be only 4GB in size. The USB port powers up my 2.5 HDD without any problem. DivX looks fabulous. Very good ORION transport / laser as well!

Did I mention that the sound is really bad?

Zoran approach to DVD processing is the only one that will correctly read and display DivX files with AC3 sound tracks (!!!) Also, Zoran has sued MediaTek over copyrights issues.

I have Singer DVD player with Zoran processor - that thing will read absolutely everything - bit better than Media Tek.

Boky

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/15897868

64MB RAM

PCM1742 DAC (X 3)

DV600 has better USB power routing - straight from the PS board - hence it should power up 2.5 HDD quicker / easier.

Everything else is exactly the same. I would go for 600 if cheaper AND if you know how to upgrade the firmware.

I have DV610; brilliant picture and up scaling, mediocre sound Supports only plain FAT format - therefore it can read from HDD / memory sticks no larger than 4GB. Or large HDD but with two partitions - first one will have to be only 4GB in size. The USB port powers up my 2.5 HDD without any problem. DivX looks fabulous. Very good ORION transport / laser as well!

Zoran approach to DVD processing is the only one that will correctly read and display DivX files with AC3 sound tracks (!!!) Also, Zoran has sued MediaTek over copyrights issues.

I have Singer DVD player with Zoran processor - that thing will read absolutely everything - bit better than Media Tek.

Boky

so, not recommended for music?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am planning to connect it via HDMI and let the AV receiver handle the sound so I do not think it's an issue for me.

BTW Thx for the reply, cause I am still waiting for my DV-610 and I might get the DV-600 instead since last time I checked was 30 euros cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/16015490

No, It sound very bad compared to Sony DVD players (or HDD / DVD recorders).

Boky

I bought the 610 couple of days ago, to be honnest I am very pleased with its sound. I don't know about the SONY DVD players. I used to have a PIONEER CDR (the 609), so to my ears 610 sounds better. Anyway.

By the way, what USB 2.5 HDD are you using?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/15897868

64MB RAM

PCM1742 DAC (X 3)

Boky

What USB 2.5 HDD are you using? Do you know if a WD Passport could work with the player?

·
Registered
376 Posts
It does a good job converting Pal-to-NTSC and NTSC-to-Pal. It also produces a seamless layer change. I have a 2003/2004 model CyberHome CH DVD300 which uses a Zoran. Its Pal-to-NTSC and NTSC-to-Pal show converting artifacts, and its layer change is longer. Also, does anyone know of any Zoran-based players which pass SACD DSD signals via HDMI 1.2A? I'm not really into DivX, so maybe it depends on your requirements.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Mediatek is superior to Zoran in many opinions including mine: faster layer changes, better NTSC->PAL conversion, better PQ (sharper, more controls of image, pillarboxing 4:3 tittles), better MPEG decoder, plays more media, better at DivX, easier to make region free. Zoran IMHO is the worst chipset of the group. Samsung, Toshiba, and Zenith usually have Zoran. Pioneer, Phillips, Sony, Oppo, LG, RCA usually have Mediatek.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
For me on the 610 the sound is great. SACD DSD through my Denon sounds amazing and quite good.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 /forum/post/16388384

For me on the 610 the sound is great. SACD DSD through my Denon sounds amazing and quite good.

If you're in AZ, wouldn't that mean you really have the Pioneer Elite DV-49AV? If you really have the DV-610AV, where and how did you get an imported model?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Has anyone in the US purchased a 600 or 610 from B&H or J&R? If so, by looking at the exterior packing, documents inside the box, etc., can you tell if either B&H or J&R got the players from Pioneer Europe, or from a place who does special mods? Also, if these players are designed for use in Europe, how are we Americans and Canadians supposed to power these babies? Do they come with the necessary AC plugs? Do we have to get special 110V-to-220V converters?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think B&H gets them modded because the 600 they sell includes an 18-MB NTSC-to-Pal converter. I was originally going to spend $200 on a DV-49AV from Vanns or Abt, but for $130, I don't think a warranty is too important. Besides, the 610 and 49 are literally the same flesh and blood anyway! Hey ... I thought Japan was Region 2. Oh well ... But before I get one, I am still waiting for Hakan to get a DV-800AV/LX50/58AV so that maybe he will release one of those cool Smash the Mac enhanced firmwares for it and I'll be able to install it on my DV-58AV, Pioneer's best universal SD player to date!

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada /forum/post/16669863

Yeah, an odd package.........Japanese user manual and overlays, European cord, and region 3......

Almost like it was meant to be played anywhere

The 610's are a real bargain without the modified FW. They're a steal with it!

Did it come with any kind of warranty card? If so, was it a Pioneer warranty card? If so, what country? If not, what company handles repairs, and what country are they stationed in?

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjnevada /forum/post/16670731

No warranty and Pioneer will not honor a warranty from an un-authorized seller. Even J&R, an authorized seller, states in their advertisement that a Pioneer USA warranty not valid with the 610.

I chose Buy.com because they do offer a marketplace guarantee: http://www.buy.com/toc/marketplace_b...Gurantee_Claim

A one year warranty is pretty short anyway and all good quality electronics that I've bought within the last 10 years have never failed. If they make it within 30 days, there's a good chance they'll surpass the warranty period. I have a $1500 Panasonic plasma that only offered a one year warranty. I am 2 years into it problem free but who knows..............

For $99, the risk wasn't high for me. But to say it's completely risk free would be wrong.

I am already aware that Pioneer's US branch won't honor their warranty on these players because they're not US models. I thought that maybe if a warranty card came with it, we'd know exactly where these players came from.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts