AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only got to read the manual which is quite thick for a non HDD standalone. The unit features DV IN/OUT, DVD-R/RW recording, VCD playback (doesn't say anything about SVCD), various onscreen menu functions, external cable box/satellite IRD control (see further on), Fine/SP/LP/EP/Manual record settings, VR mode editing with -RW, chapter lock/unlock (so you don't accidently erase programs), undo edit (that might come in very handy!), disc history (show how much recording space is on the last 30 recordable discs that were put into the machine, including disc name, 1st 3 title names, recording mode, lock status), various settings depending on what you are recording (including a laser disc player setting!), MN (manual bitrate settings - 32 of them from MN32[equivalent to Fine recording mode] which equals 61 min to MN1 [equivalent to EP recording mode] = 360 min. Others are MN21 (SP), and MN9 (LP)), white level adjustment, black level adjustment, black level setup (no black level bug!), noise reduction level adjustments, Optimized record sets recorder to adjust for disc space, Navi Mark selects frame for disc navigator at 0, 30 or 180 second mark, Auto Chapter mark every 10 minutes. Audio recording in all MN modes is Dolby Digital 2ch. except MN32 which is Linear PCM format. Also has WMA, MP3 and Jpeg playback.

The control over external devices seems somewhat confusing as there is no IR blaster. Instead, the IRD/cable box must be a type that has it's own timer. I don't have one of those, so I have no way of testing the unit, which I hope to do in the next day or so, including doing some recordings. I'll also check for SVCD playback.

Doug O

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SVCD plays for sure. Tried out a disc this past afternoon. I believe the MN record modes work for both -R as well as -RW. I'll try to confirm this tomorrow. I'm tempted to buy one just to play with for a few weeks as you can return them for a full refund within 30 days. Good enough to see if I want to keep it or not. As to recording from my IRD, I have an old Dishnetwork/Expressvu that has built in timers that allow me to change the channels at specific times. That will do good enough for me for timer recordings. I don't think my new IRDs allow you to do that. Definitely not with my Dishplayer. Too bad in a way...

Doug O

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the manual, MN can be done in both VR and Video modes, so it will work with both -R and -RWs. Chase play is only available on version 1.1 2X -RWs. Non copy protected material can be copied from the DVD to the DV/out back to a camcorder. More info as I get it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Doug O, anything new you can report about the 310-s? It's been awhile. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Will

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.