AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!

Last night the remote for my Pioneer DVD Recorder DVR-531H died - grrrrrr...

I'm looking into ordering a new vxx2967 remote, but the Canadian prices are ridiculous, and I may order from the U.S., have it delivered to a cousin, and have her ship it up here. So needless to say, I will be a while without a remote.

Anyways, I've figured out how to use most of the functions using the buttons on the machine, but I can't seem to figure out how to fast forward & rewind using the buttons on the machine! It seems like such a simple thing - surely there is a way to do it that I'm just missing!... Any suggestions? I really don't want to go a month without being able to fast forward or rewind anything.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
Try the Radio Shack 15-135. It's only $20 and is likely to have the right Pioneer code. If it doesn't, you can easily return it.

EDIT: This remote DOES have both skip and ffwd/rew.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there's no way to do it from the front panel. You'll have to buy a Pioneer or third-party remote. The Pioneer remotes for the 533/633 are a lot nicer to use with the machine, though - they seem to have all the buttons very nicely arranged for editing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

That's so frustrating that I can't do such a basic function as fast forward from the front panel on the machine. Grrr!

I'll have a look to see if Radio Shack (now it's 'The Source' in Canada) carries that remote, to get me by until I can get a replacement Pioneer remote.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
If you're going for a universal remote, it'd probably be good to see if it has "skip forward and back" buttons as well as "fast forward" and "rewind" ones. Many remotes don't, especially the cheaper ones.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Remove the batteries from the remote and then depress every key. This will fix the remote if a key is electronically stuck which is a common problem. Replace the batteries and hopefully the remote will work.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 /forum/post/14231158

Remove the batteries from the remote and then depress every key. This will fix the remote if a key is electronically stuck which is a common problem. Replace the batteries and hopefully the remote will work.

In addition, if you, or anyone else has a camcorder, look at the remote (with fresh batteries installed) through the viewfinder. If any of the buttons are stuck or shorted out, the transmitting LED will light up in the camcorder's viewfinder. This is also a simple way to find out if any, or all buttons are non-functional. If no response, and before you toss it, I would take the remote apart and visually inspect it for faulty soldering joints, or to see if any of the copper traces are cracked, which may be fixable at times.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yeah, it is kind of nuts that Pioneer made every feature BUT ff and rew available on the front panel- what were they thinking? Why go only 80% of the way?

Anyway, here are a couple other things to try: take the batteries out of the remote, then use the eraser tip of a pencil to scrub the metal battery contacts inside the remote AND both ends of each battery (better yet, new batteries). Blow off any eraser debris and quickly wipe the contacts with a dry fingertip. You'd be surprised how often this works: remotes can build up an invisible chemical barrier between the battery and the contact, the eraser trick usually fixes this for several months or a year.

The other unlikely but possible cause for remote failure is an accidental change in remote codes, on either the recorder or the remote. The Pio 531 can be set to respond to three different remote codes, in case you have more than one Pioneer in the house. It comes set as code 1 from the factory. Turn off your 531 and after it shuts down completely, look at the front panel clock display. If the recorder is set to remote 1, all you will see is the time. If the recorder is set to remote code 2 or 3, you will notice a very small "2" or "3" lit up just to the left of the clock time.

After cleaning the remote contacts with the pencil eraser and putting new batteries in it, you should make sure the remote code matches the recorder. This is easy to do: simply hold down the remotes "RETURN" key then press and hold the "1", "2" or "3" key (depending whats displayed on the recorder). Within 5-10 seconds , the tiny light at the top of the remote next to the open/close button should glow, meaning you can release the two buttons. Aim the remote at the recorder and see if it works.

Note this is also a good way to check if the remote is receiving power or has a short: if the tiny light does not come on when you try to program the remote, it is dead altogether and needs repair. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts