AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum. I've just purchased a Pioneer DVR-533 which I'm using with Bell ExpressVu's 3100 satelite receiver. I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

The 3100 initiates its own timed recordings using information in it's program guide and an IR signal. This works well as long as I'm not watching one of the recordings from the hard disk when a recording tries to start. In this situation, the recorder ignores the request.

I tested the same situation with the DVR's remote. If I'm playing back a recording from the hard disk and I push record, it ignores the request.

I'm wondering why this happens. Is it just this DVR or are other models similar.

It's a shame since the DVR can record and play simultaneously, if the recording starts first, or if the DVR's internal timer starts the recording. But I have to do things this way because the TVGUIDE scheduling does not support satelite receivers.

If there's no way around this limitation, I'll have to be constantly aware of upcoming recordings when I'm watching things.

Andy

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInWpg
I tested the same situation with the DVR's remote. If I'm playing back a recording from the hard disk and I push record, it ignores the request.

I'm wondering why this happens. Is it just this DVR or are other models similar.
Andy,

This doesn't seem to be the case on my Panasonic E-500. Here is the section of the manual that describes this situation.

Timer recordings are activated regardless of whether the unit is

turned on/off.

Timer recordings begin when the set time is reached even

when recording or when playing.

Timer recordings do not begin while transferring (dubbing) in

normal speed mode.

Apparently, the only time a timer recording will fail to start is when the recorder is dubbing in normal speed mode.

I will have to try this to determine if indeed this is the case. We all know that what's documented in a manual is not necessarily what happens in reality.

I do know that I can watch a program off the HDD while recording another program on the HDD.

How about the Toshiba users out there? Can you comment on this?

Other Pioneer users, does this happen to you?

RG

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I am also new to the 533, having owned it for just 2 days.

I was watching a show off the hard drive last night and the unit successfully recorded another show. The recording was initiated from the TVGuide listing in the unit.

I do know that the 533 has a single tuner so you can't record a show and watch another channel (live) through the player.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara
Timer recordings begin when the set time is reached even

when recording or when playing.

Apparently, the only time a timer recording will fail to start is when the recorder is dubbing in normal speed mode.

RG
RG,

Just to clarify, internal 533 timer recordings do start while playing recorded shows from the hard disk. It's the timed recordings started externally by my satelite receiver sending an IR "record" signal to the 533, that are ignored.

I assume that the designers thought no one would try to record a program that was not even on their screen while they were watching a playback. But it does matter for satelite users.

Andy

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInWpg
RG, Just to clarify, internal 533 timer recordings do start while playing recorded shows from the hard disk. It's the timed recordings started externally by my satelite receiver sending an IR "record" signal to the 533, that are ignored.
That would be equivalent to pressing the "record" button on the remote while watching a recorded show. I assume that if you actually pressed the remote's "record" button while watching a recorded show, you'd get the same behaviour (ie, the unit would not start recording).

I don't actually have this setup, so I'm hypothesizing here, but this doesn't seem like the kind of functionality you could reasonably expect to work. If you press the "record" button while watching a show, how would the DVR know which input to record from?

I think the only way you're likely to get this to work is to manually program both the DVR and the satellite box to record. That way the DVR will know which input and at what time to start. It sounds like it's established that the DVR will in fact start a timed recording while watching a show, so this should work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson
I don't actually have this setup, so I'm hypothesizing here, but this doesn't seem like the kind of functionality you could reasonably expect to work. If you press the "record" button while watching a show, how would the DVR know which input to record from?
When you press "record" normally, the 533 just records from the currently set input to the currently set drive (HDD or DVD). I was wishing it had an option to just record to the HDD, since it's quite easy to leave the recorder on DVD after using that drive, hit record and have the recording fail as a result.

I still wonder how other recorders handle these things. But I agree with your last comment.

Andy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a quick fix, I programmed a USB-UIRT (Universal Infrared Receiver Transmitter), that I already use on my computer, to issue a STOP/HDD/RECORD signal whenever it detects a RECORD from the Bell Expressvu box. This works perfectly for me whether the 533 is playing or not.

Easier than switching to a BEV PVR. :)

Andy...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.