AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that some of the TV broadcasts that I record have a Title Name that shows up in the second screen of the Display Button's output. Up until yesterday, all my hard drive recordings had beed untitled, but now the 533 has saved several shows under the Title Name shown in the display, which is great.

Does anyone know where this title comes from and why it isn't always there? I'm guessing it's in the program signal.

The Title Name does not always match the name in the BEV program guide - eg. Title Name THE BEST OF ED SULLIVAN vs Ed Sullivan in the program guide.

Sometimes the Display shows the name of the program but the Title Name just below it is blank.

I'm not using the TVGUIDE feature. I'm using a Bell Expressvu 3100 satellite recever on L1. The 3100 starts the recording from it's own program guide via an IR signal to the DVR.

Andy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure. 573 in the VCR codes works. Also 575. I think they put out the same code as they work for all 3 ids on the 533.

Andy...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I believe the program title is extracted from data transmitted by the source station during the VBI (Vertical Blanking Interval) of the signal. But if that's true, then it's a bit of a mystery to me why they would suddenly start showing up just yesterday, unless you made some sort of change (ie, maybe connecting the DVR directly to the analogue cable instead of via the cable box, or perhaps you're recording a different set of channels than before). Or I guess there's a remote possibility that your cable provider made some sort of change.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson
I believe the program title is extracted from data transmitted by the source station during the VBI (Vertical Blanking Interval) of the signal. But if that's true, then it's a bit of a mystery to me why they would suddenly start showing up just yesterday
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I posted this some time ago. It actually goes back and forth between blank and actual titles. I think you are correct about the VBI.

The handling of titles by the 533 is pretty strange. You can see the behavior on the third Display screen for the 533. Sometimes the program name and the title name fields are different. Sometimes both are blank.

Anyway, with Expressvu, quite often the 533 records a program with the title of the show that was on just before the one that was recorded. Seems to be a timing issue when the recording starts. The correct program name will appear in Display 3 a little later but it won't update the title name if it's already filled in.

AFTERTHOUGHT: The 533 tracks the title all the time but fails to initialize it when a recording is started. That's the problem.

Andy...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInWpg
Sure. 573 in the VCR codes works. Also 575. I think they put out the same code as they work for all 3 ids on the 533.

Andy...

Hi there;

I have just hooked up my pioneer DVR-533H to my Express-vu 3100 and I am trying to get the 3100 to control recording on the DVR.

This is really annoying me. I have programmed the Remote on code 575 and it works fine - starts and stops recording as expected.

However the 3100 unit does not trigger recording with that code - or any other code I have tried.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? It's not the positioning of the 2 units. I can get the remote to trigger the DVR when it's sitting right on top of the 3100 unit. Plus - according to the manual - the signal from the 3100 should be stronger than from the remote.

Any tips, or tricks would be appreciated.

In the meantime I have to setup the recording on both units separately - which is a pain and prone to mistakes (from the programer i.e. ME)

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan
However the 3100 unit does not trigger recording with that code - or any other code I have tried.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? It's not the positioning of the 2 units. I can get the remote to trigger the DVR when it's sitting right on top of the 3100 unit. Plus - according to the manual - the signal from the 3100 should be stronger than from the remote.

Thanks
Hi there,

The signal from the 3100 is sometimes quite weak. I have one that only works if it is perfectly placed relative to the receptor in the dvr. Even then, it needs an overhanging flap of relective material to work 100%. My other 3100 has a strong signal and works without any of these problems.

Try standing in front of the 3100 and the signal will usually bounce off you to the dvr. Use the 3100's vcr setup "test" to try it out with the dvr on.

Andy...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks - I had to put the units on top of each other to get them to 'talk', but now it's working fine.

The signal from my 3100 must be really poor - my remote is 10x stronger.

Oh well, as long as it works I'm happy.

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Note- The networks are very sloppy in their start of show time handling. If you set the Pioneer's default thumbnail option to the 3 minute setting rather than the default(i Think) start of show or 0 minute setting, the selected title will be a lot more accurate. Otherwise a lot of times it will pick up itle from previous show.

Just my personal experiance.. :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil
Note- The networks are very sloppy in their start of show time handling. If you set the Pioneer's default thumbnail option to the 3 minute setting rather than the default(i Think) start of show or 0 minute setting, the selected title will be a lot more accurate. Otherwise a lot of times it will pick up itle from previous show.

Just my personal experiance.. :rolleyes: .
Thank you. I had no idea that the thumbnail option affected the Title and had never used it. It's also very good for movies which are preceded by several minutes of intro before the movie itself starts and gives the real title instead of the name of the intro clip.

Andy...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInWpg
I've noticed that some of the TV broadcasts that I record have a Title Name that shows up in the second screen of the Display Button's output. Up until yesterday, all my hard drive recordings had beed untitled, but now the 533 has saved several shows under the Title Name shown in the display, which is great.

Does anyone know where this title comes from and why it isn't always there? I'm guessing it's in the program signal.

The Title Name does not always match the name in the BEV program guide - eg. Title Name THE BEST OF ED SULLIVAN vs Ed Sullivan in the program guide.

Sometimes the Display shows the name of the program but the Title Name just below it is blank.

I'm not using the TVGUIDE feature. I'm using a Bell Expressvu 3100 satellite recever on L1. The 3100 starts the recording from it's own program guide via an IR signal to the DVR.

Andy...
I use Star Choice (without IR) on L1 and have noticed with my 633 that titles always show up when recording manually, and never on timer recordings. If your sat box starts the recording via IR, that's like a manual recording to your 533. Might you have changed the way you do timer recordings? (eg before using 533 timer recording: no titles, now using 3100 timer recording: titles displayed.)

I would like to use my old Star Choice 421 box to control timer recordings, but stupidly it doesn't turn recorders on and off so you have to leave them on to record. I guess since it takes up to 45 seconds to boot the Pioneer units it would be a problem too. I'll live with setting recordings manually for now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty
I use Star Choice (without IR) on L1 and have noticed with my 633 that titles always show up when recording manually, and never on timer recordings. If your sat box starts the recording via IR, that's like a manual recording to your 533. Might you have changed the way you do timer recordings? (eg before using 533 timer recording: no titles, now using 3100 timer recording: titles displayed.)
Hi - I'm not sure what happened. That was quite a while ago. I had done timer recordings from day 1, but the Titles have come and gone at times. One time they stopped appearing for a few days, then appeared again when I reset the DVR. Right now they are correct about 70% of the time with the 3 minute thumbnail option and I'm quite pleased. I think I'm getting most of the Titles that are actually in the signal.

Andy....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.