AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just posting in another thread about an HDD recorder that was unable to record in the present and watch a previously recorded program at the same time. A few posts later, and the Pioneed DVR-540 looks like it might be the right one. I noticed on another site that an LG with CPRM does not allow some users to record certain programs from certain movie channels in Canada. Any experience with these Pioneers and blocking of recording channels in Canada? Does it not allow you to copy from the HDD to a DVD, or not record at all to anything? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have a Pioneer 633, last year's model, but I believe that the recording options are pretty much the same as for the 640. I record analogue and digital programs using Shaw cable (Motorola DCT2000 digital cable box) and have never encountered a program that I couldn't record to the HDD and then burn to a DVD. That applies to all the analogue channels, the basic digital channels, and premium channels such as Movie Central. I can't comment on VOD or PPV as I haven't tried them.

The 633 does prevent recording via the line inputs from other commercial DVDs or videotapes, though (this is pretty universal across most recorders, digital or otherwise).

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heboil /forum/post/0

I was just posting in another thread about an HDD recorder that was unable to record in the present and watch a previously recorded program at the same time. A few posts later, and the Pioneed DVR-540 looks like it might be the right one... Any experience with these Pioneers and blocking of recording channels in Canada? Does it not allow you to copy from the HDD to a DVD, or not record at all to anything? Thanks.

A close friend since grad school days lives in Nanaimo, BC and bought a 640H when they came out. If she was having *any* problems with blocked channels or being unable to copy something recorded from the HDD to DVD, I would **definitely** be the first to know--it was because of the DVDs she received from me (going back to the 520H) that her curiosity in DVD recorders got started, culminating in the 640H purchase [I have a 640H, too, but only since December].

You can, "record in the present and watch a previously recorded program at the same time," on the 540/640H. You can also chase play what's being recorded and record something while editing a previously recorded program on these Pioneers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.