AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the need for the best DVD/HDD recorder available. I was wondering if the pioneer is a good one....i never heard of that company before or even JVC....the jvc recorder has a bigger HDD and a VHS.....and a wonderful design...are they good? I need reviews..

By the way, the reason why i never heard of those companies is because ive been living in brasil, they dont exist there, just big ones like sony. Just moved to LA

·
Registered
245 Posts
Pioneer and Victor (JVC) are about the same size as Sony. Very old companies from Japan.

- Anyway, both machines have their ups and downs. If you're looking to transfer VHS, I'd suggest the JVC, as the Pioneer does not have good enough filters.

- The Pioneer is basically only good at 2 hours of video, while the JVC can do well up to 4 hours, on a single disc.

- If you're only recording off tv, the Pioneer is probably just fine.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL /forum/post/0

Im in the need for the best DVD/HDD recorder available. I was wondering if the pioneer is a good one....i never heard of that company before or even JVC....the jvc recorder has a bigger HDD and a VHS.....and a wonderful design...are they good? I need reviews..

By the way, the reason why i never heard of those companies is because ive been living in brasil, they dont exist there, just big ones like sony. Just moved to LA

Take some time reading the threads in this section. For customer service, I definitely think Pioneer is superior.

If you like the idea of a VCR/HDD model because you want to make DVD copies of commercial, VHS tapes, you will be very, very unhappy with your purchase. A combo unit will not permit you to use one of the filters available to remove the macrovision (i.e. Sima, Dimax). You will not be able to copy your commercial VHS tapes to the HDD without one of these filters. It is best to use a standalone VCR if you intend to make copies.

Again, look through the threads, go down a few pages of thread titles. There are threads that address copying VHS tapes to DVDs.

I once had a JVC. It had a problem JVC ignored for many, many months and never completely fixed (when it finally admitted there was a MAJOR problem). All my DVD recorders are Pioneer. I tried a Panasonic (HDD model) and did not like it nearly as much as the Pioneers--which I use for making copies of my VHS tapes in addition to recording off the air and from DirecTV.

FWIW:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128003/article.html

·
Registered
120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL /forum/post/0

Stay away from JVC, do a search here or any other video forum and you will see the horror stories.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.