AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering purchasing the Pioneer DVR 663H-S recorder.

My biggest concern right now, after lots of research is how it will work (or not) with my digital cable box. I live in the Boston area and have RCN as my cable provider.

Can someone tell me what is in store if I try to connect it to my cable/TV system?

Has anyone used it on an RCN cable system?

Does the TV Guide feature work well?

I am very confused.

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Based on other posts I have read here, the cable company strips the EPG data from the signal when it's encoded into MPEG format for digital transmission to your cable box. So if you only have a digital signal available to you, then you may not be able to use the TV Guide feature (this is the same reason why they warn you that the TV Guide doesn't work with satellite signals).

But if you can receive Over The Air transmissions (by connecting an antenna into the RF input of the DVR) or if your cable provider gives you access to the analogue RF signal (for example, if you can get channels from the coax cable wall outlet without a cable box by connecting it directly to your DVR), then you should be able to receive the EPG data. It may not display the program information for your digital channels, but you should still be able to manually program the timer to record them.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I have analog cable with no box. The EPG that my cable company downloads has every channel you could imagine listed, including those that require a box to decode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.