AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted a rumor a while back that Pioneer was thinking of releasing firmware to allow the 7000 to record in VR mode on a DVD-R disc.

Anyone else hear about this?

On another point:

Pioneer claims the 2 hour Video mode is equal to the two hour VR mode. I find this not to be true - at least when recording through the firewire input. VR mode is much better through this input.

Too bad almost no other DVD player can play VR mode discs.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I hope that rumor is true, it's its only weakness.

My Panasonic RP91 can play VR mode dvd-rw discs. Make sure you finalize them. Better PQ playing them on the Panny too!

I agree with your assessment of VR mode. It is an average only. I get higher peak rates and actually long time (ie. 2h10 w/ 2h mode) than with video mode. I only wish the recording aspect ratio flag worked on VR mode recordings.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And whats the cost of this Panasonic player (in the US).

I'm going broke buying more equipment to cover what wasn't mentioned with the last equipment purchase.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Thats good to know, CKNA, I never tried it without finalizing.

Leebo, I bought mine from CKNA, modded as Region Free and m*crovision free.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Just got this in my email about 5 minutes ago. Unfortunately they don't tell you what the 'enhancements' are.

-------------------

Pioneer is offering a free upgrade for its Elite DVR-7000 DVD recorder to enhance and correct the software in the recorder. While the changes that will be made are not likely to have a great impact on most users, we encourage you to take advantage of this free upgrade.

If your DVR-7000 has a yellow dot next to the serial number on the back panel, the upgrade has already been completed.

To make arrangements to have your unit upgraded, please call our toll free hotline at 800-421-1632 or contact the Elite dealer where you purchased your recorder.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Just got off the phone with Pioneer. Apparently the 'upgrade' is a 'disc' they send you. It isn't available yet but should be in a week she said. She had no details as to what it fixed or updated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I received my upgrade DVD today (6/21). It comes on a DVD-RW. There are no release notes, just upgrade instructions. No mention of the upgrade availability on Pioneer's web site. Maybe there will be something on-screen. I'll attempt to figure out what the upgrade does and report back. Guess the first thing to try is a VR mode recording on a DVD-R. All user settings revert to factory default, of course.

Dana

·
Registered
98 Posts
The upgrade was completed with no problems. I haven't had much time to play yet, but no obvious differences. Cannot initialize a DVD-R. Recording is still fixed in Video mode. Why didn't they include release notes? Geez.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.