AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, My name is Chris Walker, I am the Manager of New Technology for Pioneer Electronics. Everyone at Pioneer loves this site and Pioneer has decided to go ahead and try to answer some of the questions that the enthusiasts on this site may have regarding Pioneer's Products. My focus at Pioneer is product planning for AV products (DVD, DVD Recorders, AV Receivers, Blu-ray, and HTIB). As you can imagine there is some information that I may not be able to share due to timing and competitive issues, however I will do my best.

If I fail to respond to certain questions in a timely manner please do not take offense. Sometimes I have to wait for answers from Japan which can take some time.

Also, please do not take offense if I cannot answer a question due to product introduction timings as well as competitive issues.

I am looking forward to trying to answer any questions you might have.

Chris Walker (WalkamoHB)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Chris Walker,

It's great to have you here! I've had my VSX-53TX for about 6 months now...it's an awesome unit!

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkamoHB
Hello Everyone, My name is Chris Walker, I am the Manager of New Technology for Pioneer Electronics. Everyone at Pioneer loves this site and Pioneer has decided to go ahead and try to answer some of the questions that the enthusiasts on this site may have regarding Pioneer's Products. My focus at Pioneer is product planning for AV products (DVD, DVD Recorders, AV Receivers, Blu-ray, and HTIB). As you can imagine there is some information that I may not be able to share due to timing and competitive issues, however I will do my best.

If I fail to respond to certain questions in a timely manner please do not take offense. Sometimes I have to wait for answers from Japan which can take some time.

Also, please do not take offense if I cannot answer a question due to product introduction timings as well as competitive issues.

I am looking forward to trying to answer any questions you might have.

Chris Walker (WalkamoHB)
This is awesome! Thanks Chris!

I have heard various dates when the new Pioneer Elite 79AVi DVD player will

begin shipping in the Unites States. Do you have firm information on this?

Also if I simply use the 59AVi as a simple audio transport and output

480i video over HDMI to a video processor will the 79AVi provide any

additional benefit to me?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Tony

P.S. When will your first High Definition DVD player be out and will it be an Elite model?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome Chris! I've had a 56TXI and 59AVI for about 8 months now. Think they're the greatest. I've ordered the new DVDO VP30 to run with the 59AVI at 480i over HDMI so I may have some questions for you soon!

Mike

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi Chris-

Glad to see that you (and Pioneer) are eager to engage your customers. I am sure that you will be taken up on your offer to answer our questions....repeatedly.

Bob

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Moved comment to receiver thread. :) Great to see Pioneer support in the forum.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce
This is awesome! Thanks Chris!

I have heard various dates when the new Pioneer Elite 79AVi DVD player will

begin shipping in the Unites States. Do you have firm information on this?

Also if I simply use the 59AVi as a simple audio transport and output

480i video over HDMI to a video processor will the 79AVi provide any

additional benefit to me?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Tony

P.S. When will your first High Definition DVD player be out and will it be an Elite model?
We will announce the official launch date for the DV-79AVi at Cedia (Not too far from Now).

As far as performance there are improvements in both the video and audio (dedicated transformer for audio), a complete chassis redesign, over 7 pounds heavier.

I have not had the chance to do a A B comparison to the 59AVi yet, since I only have pre-production units of the 79.

As far as a Blu-ray product no official dates have been announced yet.

Sorry for being vague about certain items.

Chris Walker

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
Quote:
We will announce the official launch date for the DV-79AVi at Cedia (Not too far from Now).

As far as performance there are improvements in both the video and audio (dedicated transformer for audio), a complete chassis redesign, over 7 pounds heavier.

I have not had the chance to do a A B comparison to the 59AVi yet, since I only have pre-production units of the 79.

Chris Walker
Thanks Chris - I didn't expect you to answer my questions - but I guess it

was worth a try! Thanks again!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
Welcome! My question: Will Pioneer be bringing out an upcoverting (via HDMI) DVD player in the non-Elite line and priced in the $200-$500 price range to compete with such offerings from Denon, Panasonic, Sony, Oppo, Yamaha, Toshiba, Samsung, etc? Preferably with no MB.

We have already introduced new models to the Pioneer branded line for the year. We do understand the need for non-elite models with HDMI outputs, however we had some changes in engineering resources to focus on Blu-ray development this year.

Unfortunatley nothing is concrete for upcoming models at this point, so it would be unfair for me to comment right now regarding future models.

Chris Walker

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
Quote:

Chris Walker

Thanks Chris,

All I want from the 79AVi is "unprocessed" RAW data from the DVD to

pass on to a video processor. Is there anything different from the 59 AVi

to the 79 AVi that would make the 79 AVi better in this regard.

Thanks again,

Tony

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Thanks Chris,

Thanks again,

Tony
Hi Tony let me confirm with our engineers in Tokyo.

Chris Walker

·
Premium Member
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tony let me confirm with our engineers in Tokyo.

Chris Walker
Thanks Chris! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Wow, great to have you here Chris.

About the 79avi; it sounds like it has the potential to be the last DVD player I'd ever need. However, there is one thing that I've found vague in the documentation so far.

The original specification sheet listed the unit as having "perfect chroma upsampling" (which one would construe to mean it doesn't have the MPEG-2 chroma upsampling error), and the second one listed it as having "true chroma upsampling error correction" (which sounds like some kind of chroma filter).

Can you go into more detail about whether the player has the C.U.E.? It's been a big problem with most of your DVD players up until now, so it'd be great if this was a turn around.

Second question, do you have any plans to release a higher-end surround headphone unit (than the SE-DIR800C). The current unit has very good surround sound and 'punch', but lacks musicality. Also, has there been any discussion about using the new Smyth Virtual Surround instead of Dolby Headphone? It sounds like a better technology.

Has Pioneer ever considered making an "anniversary" laserdisc player? There's still quite a few of us who use LD, and technology has moved on substantially since 1996. It'd be cool to take laserdisc tech for one more spin around the block.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I have a bit of a technical question about the 59avi deinterlacing and the quirky behavior it exhibits while running through the Silicon Optix HQV benchmark disk. Basically, using the DISPLAY on the player which shows the disk information (title, chapter, etc) and the bit rate causes the deinterlacing behavior to change. The details are outlined in these posts:

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...&post5975173
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...&post5975173

A few others have noticed the same behavior with this. The test with the 3:2 mixed flags passes just fine up until the DISPLAY is used, after which, the player fails to pick up the cadence. Can you shed any light on this behavior? Thanks and it is great to have you on here helping us out... :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hey Chris welcome aboard. I have quite a few of your recent products at the moment, 56TXI, 59AVI, 5050HD Plasma. Is there an HDMI 1.1 firmware upgrade coming for the 59AVI? Also, the only gripe I have with the 59 is the layer change. Eliminate it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi there

Similar theme to above post, the 59avi layerchange is a little painful and is a huge downside of the unit. Has anywork gone in to getting the layerchange down on the 79avi? or better eliminated.

·
Registered
761 Posts
"Unfortunatley nothing is concrete for upcoming models at this point, so it would be unfair for me to comment right now regarding future models"

So does this mean the only new dvd player coming out is the 79avi?

Any replacement for say the dvc36 or the 45 or 47, coming out?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Thanks Chris,

Thanks again,

Tony
Hi Tony, I beleive just chassis design might be a slight improvement. Very hard for me to answer at this point. Let me pose the question to Japan so I don't answer you incorrectly.

Chris Walker

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX
Hey Chris welcome aboard. I have quite a few of your recent products at the moment, 56TXI, 59AVI, 5050HD Plasma. Is there an HDMI 1.1 firmware upgrade coming for the 59AVI? Also, the only gripe I have with the 59 is the layer change. Eliminate it.

Unfortunatley, there is no way to upgrade HDMI formware to accomodate the 1.1 specifications. It actually requires a hardware change. I will relay the information regarding the layer change to Japan.

Chris Walker

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.