AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has decided to get rid of his Sony DVP-S9000ES (Don't ask why). He tiring to decide between a Pioneer Elete DV-45A or Denon DVD-2200. His primary concern is video quality and audio is decoded on his receiver via toslink. He also tends to like build quality and the unit needs to be some form of black, no silver units. He has a Pioneer Elete 50" RPHDTV. He wants to keep the price ~$470 Max.

Which unit should he choose?

Is the Denon worth the extra money (~$125 more)?

Any others he should consider?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If he is concerned with mainly video quality then this is an easy choice, the Denon DVD-2200. The video section of the Denon is far superior to the Pioneer. It has much better deinterlacing with the SiI 504 deinterlacer. The build quality is very good on it also, its fairly large and heavy compared to most DVD players.

The video section of the 2200 is identical to the Denon DVD-2900. You can read the secrets review on both.

Denon DVD-2900

Pioneer DV-45A

I've had my 2200 for a month now and have no regrets.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I work at a place that sells pioneer elites. When my parent's DVD player broke I went out and bought the Denon unit. The picture quality is really nice, I prefer it over the 45a and I see the 45a and Denon almost every day.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had both the 45a and the 2200. Initially returned the 2200 for the 45a beacuse my wife hated the the 2200's usabilty and the picture was too soft for me. After a few days with the 45a I realized that it was a piece of f%$#@ing JUNK! The picture qulaity was great for the most part but the combing on it was absolutley HORRIBLE! Too muck to spend and have this kind of error in the deinterlacer. Plus, there is the CUE error too (not too much of an issue unless you're really botherd by it).

I regret not keeping the 2200 as I got the store to match an inernet price (about $100 less than list price).

I've since broke the bank an bought the 59Avi...no regrets and haven't looked back since. This player is superb, performance stellar and PQ is spectacular. Best player on the market besides the Denon 5900 which is $1,000+ more.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have the Pioneer DV 45A which I use exclusively for a hi-res audio playback device. In conjunction with an Outlaw ICBM for bass management, it works all right in this capacity. But its video was worse than my five year-old Phillips DVD player or my Toshiba 4700. Don't buy the Pioneer for video. Their customer service is so horrible (uninformed, rude and irresponsible) that I would have to recommend the Denon of the two.

In terms of hi-res audio, I don't think any of the current so-called "universal" players are handling SACD well enough to justify their high prices. Someone will get it straight soon...

·
Registered
180 Posts
In terms of hi-res audio, I don't think any of the current so-called "universal" players are handling SACD well enough to justify their high prices. Someone will get it straight soon... [/b][/quote]

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Do you mean from a marketing aspect or sonically?? I have the DVD-2200 and when comparing SACD to DVD-A, I much prefer the sound of SACD. DVD-A sounds great, don't get me wrong, But SACD seems to be even more open and detailed.

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.