AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Elite models have 2year warrantee compared to the "non-elite" but what other differences are there?

Is it worth more money?

The thing is that I will only be connecting a Digital TV, DVD player and Xbox so its a pretty simple setup.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some searching and there seems to be an anti-glare coating on the Elite that is not present on the non-elite.

The 5040HD is $3,000 CAD cheaper than the 1120HD so I am just trying to figre out what features are lost on the non-elite.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Since you're quoting prices in CAD, I assume you're in Canada. Pio Elites have a three year warranty in Canada, unless Pioneer has recently changed their policy to be consistent with the US (where it is two years).

Elite also gets you a bit more user-control over colour settings (five colour temperature levels instead of three), but the "guts" of the display are pretty much the same. I also understand the Elites have more ISF calibration control & features, but I'm not certain.

Elites also have gold-plated connectors, but if you're using all-digital interconnects (like I am on my 1110HD), this doesn't matter a whit.

Is this worth an extra three thousand loonies? It certainly isn't a slam dunk, eh? I went with the Elite line 'cause I was buying a DVD and receiver (59Avi and 55Txi) at the same time, both of which are Elites, so I guess I was making a complete set.

Most of the discussion from 5030 / 5040 / 5050 etc. owners comparing notes with the 1110 and 1120 owners is that there really isn't much difference in PQ and performance at all.

Ross

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The model you should be comparing the Elite 1120 to is the 5050. The 5040 is an older generation panel with inferior PQ.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant
The model you should be comparing the Elite 1120 to is the 5050. The 5040 is an older generation panel with inferior PQ.
The 5040 and 5050's are very similar. You'd have a hard time telling them apart even if placed side-by-side... The 5050's have ACE-III rather that ACE-II and one less layer of glass (I think), but as far as I know, that's pretty much it in terms of the differences... are there any changes / improvements in the scalers & deinterlacers?

The next generation (5060's & Elite 1130's ) are rumoured to have a significantly larger step-change in PQ, however..

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross in Toronto
The 5040 and 5050's are very similar. You'd have a hard time telling them apart even if placed side-by-side... The 5050's have ACE-III rather that ACE-II and one less layer of glass (I think), but as far as I know, that's pretty much it in terms of the differences... are there any changes / improvements in the scalers & deinterlacers?

The next generation (5060's & Elite 1130's ) are rumoured to have a significantly larger step-change in PQ, however..

I see a distinct difference in colors and black between my 4340 and 4350. The colors are much better on the 4350. Is it night and day....no, but you do not have to sit and stair to see a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.