AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how to set this up concerning standard definition television.

Right now I have my Elite 1140 set to auto-size [ON] and 4:3 mode [WIDE]. But it seems everytime I go to a standard definition 480i channel I need to manually change the aspect to FULL.

Is there a way to set this up so that I can watch most of my channels which is mostly in HD [FULL] but when I need to go to a SD channel it will automatically switch correctly?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
To minimize the video processing involved, set your DVR to
  • 16:9
  • 1080i
  • FULL

and set your Pioneer to
  • 16:9

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my Comcast DVR in the menu settings I have is:

TV TYPE:
4:3 pan scan

4:3 letterbox

16:9

HDMI YPbPr OUTPUT:
480i

480p

720p

1080i

4:3 OVERRIDE:
off

480i

480p

stretch

The way I have it set is:

16:9

1080i

stretch

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 /forum/post/12914314

The way I have it set is stretch
I don't understand why people spend all kinds of money and effort to get a great image on their displays and then turn around and use "stretch" to make everything look like a circus funny-mirror!?!?!

Setting the DVR 4:3 Override to OFF prevents the display from having to re-sync when changing from SD to HD channels and maintains the correct aspect ratios for all programs.

Your TV mode should be set to 16:9, not "auto", to allow the DVR to control the aspect ratios.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/12914459

Your TV mode should be set to 16:9, not "auto", to allow the DVR to control the aspect ratios.

Wouldn't my Pioneer do a better job at converting/adjusting the aspect ratios rather than the Comcast box?

And:

On the menu setting for my 1140 I don't have just a "16:9" setting. The 1140 has the following:

AUTO SIZE
On

Off

4:3 MODEwide

4:3

When the AUTO SIZE is set to OFF then the 4:3 MODE is unavailable.

BTW, I really appreciate you assisting me with this as it has been hell trying to figure out exactly how all these settings like these things interact, and how one changes another.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 /forum/post/12914603

Wouldn't my Pioneer do a better job at converting/adjusting the aspect ratios rather than the Comcast box?

I am not familiar with your set so I looked up the owner's manual online.

I learned two things:
  • Your set is a non-standard HDTV resolution and
  • it is VERY susceptible to burn-in.

As the scaler in your non-standard display cannot be defeated and is in use all the time, regardless of source, it is best to leave the DVR in its "native" mode and let the TV do all the scaling. As most networks broadcast in 1080i, that would be the general setting to use. If you are watching something "special" on ABC, FOX, ESPN or Nat Geo then you could set the DVR output to 720p for those channels only or just leave it in 1080i if you don't notice/appreciate the difference.

I recommend that you follow the instructions in the manual on page 66 for setting the "SCREEN SIZE" and follow their cautions regarding 4:3 content.

With a set so sensitive to burn-in, you may have to learn to like stretched images or damage the display permanently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts