AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from any 20 or 30 series Pioneer Elite owners. Do any of you think that the 20 looks sharper than the 30? Has anyone seen the two side by side as I have? To me it was a big difference, the 20 was sharper. However, the 30 has far more adjustments in the user menu so it could just be a difference in the settings. Does anyone have a calibrated 30? Could the problem be a slight defocus on the 30? If so, how do you know if its a focus problem and not a lack of sharpness. I am worried that the price drop of the 30 compared to the 20 just means its not as good a set. Any feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have no softness on my 530, but have heard of some seeing the 30 series as softer. One theory I heard is that the new anti glare protective screen coating introduces some softness. The other, which was stated by an ISF calibrator on the home theater spot, is that the default values in the service menu between the 20 and 30 series are very different. Calibration and break in of the 30 sets should result in a very similar image. As a set, the 30 series is actually much improved over the 20. The 20's also had a hardware problem with the s-video and composite inputs which caused a "blotchiness", especially seen on flesh tones. Pioneer corrected the issue at some point, but there is no way to know which 20 series sets were corrected. You kind of take a chance picking up a 20 series as to whether you get one of the corrected ones or not. Here are a few advantages of the 30 series:

1. 2 DVI inputs

2. Accepts 720p signal, upconverts to 1080i. 520 and older sets will not accept a 720p signal.

3. New Pioneer Pure Cinema III line doubler. Allows the user to select to view sources in either 480p or 1080i. I personally can't tell much of a difference between these two. Has been suggested by Dave Levy that the 1080i softens the picture some due to the scaling.

4. Redesigned User menu that is extremely easy to navigate.

5. Redesigned service menu that is more flexible.

6. Has a "Pro" mode which allows user to more fine tune settings. I don't see this as a big deal.

7. Anti-reflective protective screen.

8. Improved Blue gun.

9. No red push according to Dave Levy, a calibrator on the Home theater spot who has already ISF'd several 30 series Elites. I believe the 20 series had some slight red push that is not correctable with calibration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I to have been looking at the Elite's. Side by side, I drew the same conclusion, the 20's are definitely sharper than the 30 series. The sales guy sees it the same way I do, the 30's appear a softer. Another salesman said that I would need to give it time to burn in?? I like the 20's much better. For that reason I am moving on to something else!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have compared at least three 30's to 20's and every time the 20 was sharper. They both have the same pitch screen, .52. The main difference is the lens. The 20s had 5 element, 30 is 4 element.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Again, the defaults values in the service menu are very different between the two sets, which largely contributes to the difference in look between the two. Once they are calibrated with equal values, the difference will be far less. Also, did you remove the protective screen off of the 30's to compare? On the 30 series it comes installed from the factory. The 20's series did not have them installed. Did you make sure both TV's were using the same settings for contrast, brightness, etc? Are both sets ISF calibrated to the same values in the service menu. Make sure you compare them both on an even playing field.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I was comparing the 20's to the 30's, the saleman, attempted to make 'all things' equal between them. I believe the 30 did have a protective shield while the 20 did not. I suspect there is more to it than the shield.

I was first attracted to Pioneer because of the real nice picture! It turned out to be the 20. I would buy the 30 in a heart beat if the picture quality was the same! Instead I find myself scratching my head. Would I be making a mistake, taking the older model 20? What would I not be able to do with the 20 that I can with the newer model 30????

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 30 has two DVI inputs. The 20 has none.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I was shopping around, I did considerable comparison between the Elite 30, 20, and the Mits. I did notice that the 30 was a lot softer than the others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.