Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Don't kill me :) The Pioneer lists for more so they should be in the same league? Lets just talk musicality and power (punch, clarity)

I was listening to B&W speakers yesterday through Rotel stuff and the sound was awesome. Sales guy said the Rotel had a lot to do withthe sound, especially compared to "Japanese" receivers.

thx

bob

·
Registered
520 Posts
'The Pioneer lists for more'.....we all know the reality of things though.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true, but if you buy locally, the Pioneer will cost the same as the Rotel. Big difference is the lack of discounts on the Rotel. But forget about the price. how do they compare as in my original post?

bob

·
Registered
733 Posts
The 45TX can be had for a tad under $900 from an authorized dealer. How much does the Rotel RSX-1055 go for? No sarcasm, smart*** intended, BTW. I really don't know...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well I listened to both. I really did like the Rotel for music. Another cool thing about the Rotel is that you can switch the front left and right mains to rear surrounds if you use an external amp. At the time that feature didn't work. I do not know if Rotel has fixed that issue but I do know Rotel is very good at realizing glitches with their products and coming out with fixes. As far as rated power Rotel has always been on the conservative side. On that note I ended up getting the 45TX. I chose the 45TX for several reasons. One is that the Rotel is only 5 channels and the 45TX has 7. I also thought the 45TX sounded very good to me compared to the Rotel. Price also came into it but wasn't the main reason.

·
Registered
733 Posts
FWIW, I can buy a 45TX for $1200 from my local authorized Pioneer dealer, who charge all the market can bear.

"Lets just talk musicality and power (punch, clarity)"

If I were choosing between the two, the Auto-MCCAC would be the deal breaker. The main reason I'm buying a 45 TX is for its qualities as a pre/pro. It's the best I could find, that had the features I needed, for less than $1000.

If I had the cash, I'd buy a Bryston SP1.7 in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
733 Posts
I can't personally say. My local dealer has his 45TX in terrible room for auditioning 2 channel music, which BTW, is very high on my priorities. Since I'm not buying from him, I did'nt ask him to set up anything special for me.

I should receive my 45TX Tuesday. Give me a few days and I can let you know how it handles 2 channel music. However, I'll be using a Bryston 4B ST to drive my mains, so my feedback will be skewed, to say the least...

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I was going for only 2 channel music and I could not afford seperates I would go with Rotel. Before I got my 45TX I was 90% HT and 10% music. Now granted I've only had my 45TX for a few weeks but I find myself dusting off all my CD's and listening to them again. The 45TX does a very good job with music. Like I said I use my system for more HT and the 45TX was better to me in that area however I can see my percentages changing rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I went from 95% movies/ 5% music to about 60/40 since getting the 45. It does a good job in stereo. It really opened up when I added an outboard power amp; the 45 does make a fine pre-pro!

Sorny

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
Thanks, Pete

Just curious what speakers you are running with the 45?

bob
I have Onix Rocket speakers.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorny, what power amp? I guess I'm thinking the Rotel might not need the extra amp if it's that much beefier than the 45?

bob

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wouldn't say that the Rotel is beefier than the Pioneer. The Rotel is rated at I believe 70 or 75 watts. I forget which magazine (so many of them) but they tested the Rotel and it did a little bit better than advertised. Now the Pioneer 45TX is rated at 100W per channel. I don't believe the 45TX has been tested but the 45TX has no problem driving my system.

·
Registered
733 Posts
One thing I consider when I look at receivers is that the quality &/or performance of their amps can never match a good seperate amp. Just my opinion.

Here's some interesting facts. My good old 4B ST weighs 42 lbs. A 45TX, which is no lightweight, weighs 41.5 lbs. I plan to get a Bryston PowerPac 250 or 300 SST to drive my HTM1 in the next year or so. That little jewel weighs 23 lbs...

Also, IMO, the demands of HT compared to 2 channel are different. To me, 2 channel music demands a much better amp. So, I buy a receiver to use as a pre/pro, not for it's amps.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The Pioneer 45 (euro model) tested at 2x143 and 5x135 in a recent test; it smoked the Rotel (this does not mean that the Rotel is inferior, just that the 45 has a lot of power). I don't have the link handy, but it has been posted in a couple of threads on the 45TX here at avs.

I run a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5. I'm running an external power amp because I want to get into separates, and my room is almost 7000 cu ft. Extra headroom never hurts too! :D

Sorny

·
Registered
1,646 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Guys

I guess I got myself a little off track on the power amp/ punch thing. It was the apparent clarity and musicality of the Rotel that impressed me. I say "apparent" because there was no other receivers to A/B to in the room where I did the critical listening of the B&W CDm NT 9's.

In the room with the smaller towers and bookshelf speakers, they did have a Rotel, a B&K, and a Marantz. Because I was there to listen to speakers, I didn't really think too much about the electronics until I got home.

bob

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.