AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iScan Pro feeding a Pioneer Elite 510 RPTV through the RGB VGA port (set to RGB). Works a treat; I'm am very happy with the results on NTSC DVD.

I'd like to view the occasional PAL source. The iScan seems to be happy with PAL (I get a pulldown indicator when I apply a PAL film, for example), but the Elite seems less cooperative, and doesn't lock to the incoming resultant signal. Looks like vertical roll; lots of diagonal (vari-coloured) lines.

I had a degree of optimism, given I was doing this in the RGB domain, as I thought I had bypassed a lot of the PAL/NTSC issues (in the non-HDTV domain I would expect a result); now we are into more tricky territory.

Firstly, has anyone an idea of what the Elites will accept over the VGA port? The interface specs are more than a little coy.

Secondly, what exactly is the iScan producing from a PAL source? I presume it's 540p at a 50Hz frame rate, but assumptions are dangerous.

AFAIK, I am feeding either 480p at 31.25kHz (60Hz?) or 540p at 32.5kHz (50Hz?).

If anyone knows a way or non-intrusively pursuading the Pioneer to lock on this I would be pathetically grateful. Intrusive methods would score non-pathetic gratitude. Otherwise it's a PAL-NTSC stand-alone convertor, and that multiplies the signal processing chain.

The other option might be pursuading the iScan to produce a friendlier result, but that sounds like waiting for a new product...

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is a US sourced Pioneer Elite 510 RPTV, correct?

If so, I think I know what the problem is. Most (if not all) US RPTVs are not designed to do anything except 60hz. Its not a power thing as many think, its just that they were designed to do one thing only - show video at 60hz and that's it.

As such the 540P/50 output from the iScan simply won't be in the refresh range the TV is looking for. Its 60hz or nothing, give or take a few Hz.

In PAL countries we think this is crazy as all our stuff syncs to 50/60hz. But US made equipment simply doesn't cater to 50hz in most cases. This is particularly true for US RPTV's.

You CAN however still view PAL sourced material on your RPTV without going to the expense (and likely low performance) of a standalone standards converter.

Simply take one HTPC, one TV input card, add a dose of DScaler and set the PC output to whatever your RPTV will take. NTSC interlaced or VGA/SVGA/HD resolution if using a RGB>Component converter. If all you're viewing is PAL DVD, you can skip the TV card. Or sell the iScan and just go with the HTPC and DScaler for all your viewing in PAL or NTSC.

Its amazing how nice the DScaler image is when used in this way to do standards conversion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wanderer

Thanks for the confirmation; I'd just about reached the conclusion that it was 50Hz causing the TV to barf having gone through the Custom Resolutions Superguide from the HTPC forum. Yep; it's a US-sourced TV. Drat - I was looking at the small difference on horixontal rate, not frame rate. Ah well; c'est la vie.

[sigh]

I had been thinking about DScaler, I guess this just pushes me a little further, faster. My original interest was driven by the thought of pulling in some HDTV files.

What are you watching in Oz on a DScaler?

Thanks

Neil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.