AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,543 Posts

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1022807/pioneer-dvr-7000-do-you-know-anything-about-it

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch?advanced=1&action=disp&search=pioneer+7000&titleonly=0&byuser=&output=all&containingforum[]=106&replycompare=gt&numupdates=&sdate=0&newer=1&sort=relevance&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

The first link is to a thread I started on the Pio 7000, there are some photos and may be a link to a manual or at least a cnet review.

The second link is a search results list when I searched for Pioneer 7000 on AVS in this forum.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Pioneer has been in disarray for the past six years, so finding things thru their website isn't as easy as it once was. You can get user manuals for the Elite 7000 on the Pioneer Europe site: a list of manuals you can download in various languages is available at this link . Of the four English versions, the top one dated 01/01/2002 is the most recent.

Note the late-2001/early-2002 Elite 7000 is prehistoric: the first consumer-model DVD recorder Pioneer ever offered. Being a first-generation unit of a new format, it has bugs and has not aged well. Consumer-recordable DVD went thru a lot of changes over the years, not least of which blank media sold today will often not work reliably (if at all) in very early models of recorder. To avoid disappointment, don't attempt recording any media other than TY/JVC 8x-speed DVD-R or Verbatim DataLifePlus 8x DVD-R: that is the maximum speed blank the 7000 comfortably burns, and it may not even accept that if the laser is on its last legs. Recorders in 2001/2002 were optimized for Japanese 1x media, if firmware-updated they manage burning 8x media at 1x speed, but typically don't like burning 16x media at 1x speed. The Elite cannot record on +R blanks at all.

Among the AVS threads jjeff provided were reports from owners who swore their firmware-updated 7000 could use any random crap 16x media they got at the local WalMart. Good on them, but I wouldn't bet on an ancient second-hand 7000 bought today to be all that compatible with current blanks. If you got lucky, the 7000 you just bought already has the firmware updates AND is from a "known-good" production run (there were several ongoing changes made to the 7000 hardware). If unlucky, you may have a tough time finding the correct firmware update or applying it: Pioneer USA is kind of a mess right now, and the firmware you might track down on the EU site is not recommended for the North American units (using the wrong update can brick the recorder or alter it to Region 2).

The 7000 is a fine-looking piece of gear with incredible build quality, as you'd expect considering what it cost in 2002. But in 2014, its more a fun collectors item for Pioneer fans than a practical recorder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello, I have the manual for the Pioneer Elite 7000.

IF you can`t find anyone who has it, let me know, and I`ll

help you out! I`m sending some pictures, so you can see

that I`m legit.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
According to the official Pioneer site, if you have a DVR-7000 and you have the original firmware then any DVD-R, or DVD-RW that is rated faster than 2x has potential of frying your burner. According to the official Pioneer site this has NOTHING TO DO with the disc’s dye and has everything to do with the way the original pioneer firmware is written.

Quote from Pioneer:
Quote:
The source of the problem is a firmware "bug" in certain Pioneer DVD-R/RW recorders and drives, and not with the high-speed media itself.

NOTE: Drives supporting DVD-RAM and + RW formats are not affected by this issue.
SO IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE STAY AWAY FROM ANY 8x DISCS INCLUDING T-Y DISCS!!!

Pioneer Press Release

Pioneer Hi-Speed Fact

If you can still update your firmware than T-Y 8x discs should be OK and in fact as many people reported in the old threads, 16x media works just as well with the updated firmware. Of course your own mileage may vary but many people I talked to swear that 1x to 16x AZO discs burn the best in slow burning burners .

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Odds are any DVR-7000 offered for sale today as "still functional" had the firmware upgrade applied at least ten years ago. There was a ton of publicity about it, as the same "suicide" burners were used in the Apple desk-lamp iMacs and many PCs (requiring a similar firmware update sourced from the same Pioneer support pages). The extremely slow original DVD-R blank media was replaced by 4x and then 8x very soon after, so a 7000 owner would need to live in a cave to have avoided the firmware update much beyond 2004.

Unfortunately the Pioneer North America web pages have been gutted of many support links and downloads for older models, leaving Pioneer Europe as the last resource. The European models used different firmware numbering and versions, so the info there isn't necessarily helpful in identifying whether a USA/Canada model is up-to-date. Unless the seller guarantees a particular 7000 can use current blanks without harm, proceed with caution. But assuming it has the firmware update, a 7000 should easily be able to burn 8x TY/JVC or Verbatim DVD-R. Depending on the specific production run a 7000 dates from, and the condition of its laser, it may also burn better-grade 16x with no problems (although it may be picky about brands). The most recent batches of Verbatim AZO 16x DVD-R sold thru Amazon over the past few months apparently offer much-improved compatibility with old DVD recorders (compared to the same blanks sold in prior years). I've heard from quite a few people here who were pleasantly surprised how much less trouble they've had with Verb AZO 16x they bought on sale over the past few months. At current prices, 16x Verb AZO is totally price-competitive with bargain brands (and a safer bet than anything else in stores now).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts