AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 8236 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Aha, thanks! Didn't know about that. How is the room correction quality including the subwoofer eq compared to a Marantz 6010?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Aha, thanks! Didn't know about that. How is the room correction quality including the subwoofer eq compared to a Marantz 6010?

Honestly. I have an Onkyo 805 with Audyssey and the MCACC on the SC95.
I really can't tell the difference. In fact even the manual EQ using spl meter on the 805 it sounds about the same as MCACC.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello all,

Newbie here. I've poured through the forum and can't quite find the answer to a pretty easy (question). I've got a PE SC-95 and am running an old school 5.1 speaker system (historic small townhouse and no way to run the additional speakers).

I have the speakers selected to the 5.2 channel surround system & ZONE 2/ZONE 3 connection (Multi Zone) and I have the second SW off. I have my rear speakers connected via the SL SR terminals (not SBL/SBR). When I go to channel level, all of the speakers (center, FL, FR, SW, SR, SL) test perfectly.

Is that the right speaker configuration for a 5.1 system? I see that there are multiple selections, many including bi-amping and others including 5.1 plus other zones. Which is the right one for plain old 5.1?

Many thanks all.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Honestly. I have an Onkyo 805 with Audyssey and the MCACC on the SC95.
I really can't tell the difference. In fact even the manual EQ using spl meter on the 805 it sounds about the same as MCACC.

Does pioneer also use a subwoofer eq?

Wow. Never knew my search of a new AV receiver would be this complex. I am almost a year looking for 'the one'. Here in Holland we don't have HiFi stores where you can listen to the AV receivers.

This will be a blind buy.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

Wow. Never knew my search of a new AV receiver would be this complex. I am almost a year looking for 'the one'. Here in Holland we don't have HiFi stores where you can listen to the AV receivers.

Yes it calibrates them individually.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Does the 95 do DSU when using DTS HD MASTER audio?
Last night it displayed just the MASTER without the D SURROUND.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
For you guys running 5.1.4 where are you placing your surrounds? Directly 90 degrees to the left and right of the main listening position? I have (4) Klipsch RP-280FA's and am trying to figure out best placement. The Dolby website shows to put them angled behind the main listening position to the left and right, but I see the Pioneer Auto Setup shows them placed 90 degrees left and right. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Movies and music for that matter sound awesome, my speakers sound a LOT better and clearer than my previous Onkyo. Best receiver I have had so far. Same as you it was a 'semi' blind buy, all i could do was listen to it at the store hooked up to some ridiculously expensive speakers but i went for it. Am also from Holland (if that matters) and went with the Euro model SC-LX59 which is the same model as they sell in Holland. I bought it in Hong Kong since i live in Asia and we also don't get to bring it home for an audition. Am very happy with my purchase and running an 11.1 setup through it now, all that sucks is the few movies i can find that have so many channels encoded ;-) You can always wait for the next better one but then you'll never buy one as there will always be a newer one just round the corner......this is just an awesome machine

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Dank je wel voor jouw reactie!

It's good to know you're happy with the purchase. In my quest to a new receiver I think the Marantz 6010 will suffice because all of my speakers except for the center channel are active speakers with their own amp built in. So I think if I would go for this Pioneer I think in the end I will only use a fraction of its capabilities.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im not sure if this is the correct place for this question as its equally a question about my Sc-97 and about Dolby Atmos but alas I figure I will start here.

I have attached images with my setup. Its my understanding that I have done everything correct thus far but when I try and play content with Atmos either I am deaf or something is not right because I do not think I hear anything coming from my ceiling speakers. The way others have talked about Atmos and how amazing it is I feel that I am not deaf and something else is going on.

I have downloaded the lossless Dolby Atmos Experience Files and streamed them over my PC via Plex through my tablet on the Vizio P75 and I definitely have surround sound but nothing coming from the sky. I have tried playing the Dolby Atmos Experience directly from VUDU to my P75 via casting but it does not start casting at all when all other movies/shows will cast instantly. I have access to Mad Max which I know is an Atmos title via VUDU but not sure if there is a specific scene anyone can pin point that I should check out.

Did I completely blunder the install or what? Please help me everything else is awesome but here I am not very satisfied with my setup. I used the Auto MCACC to let the system set everything up itself and here I am.

Thanks,

B

Attachments

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Im not sure if this is the correct place for this question as its equally a question about my Sc-97 and about Dolby Atmos but alas I figure I will start here.

I have attached images with my setup. Its my understanding that I have done everything correct thus far but when I try and play content with Atmos either I am deaf or something is not right because I do not think I hear anything coming from my ceiling speakers. The way others have talked about Atmos and how amazing it is I feel that I am not deaf and something else is going on.

I have downloaded the lossless Dolby Atmos Experience Files and streamed them over my PC via Plex through my tablet on the Vizio P75 and I definitely have surround sound but nothing coming from the sky. I have tried playing the Dolby Atmos Experience directly from VUDU to my P75 via casting but it does not start casting at all when all other movies/shows will cast instantly. I have access to Mad Max which I know is an Atmos title via VUDU but not sure if there is a specific scene anyone can pin point that I should check out.

Did I completely blunder the install or what? Please help me everything else is awesome but here I am not very satisfied with my setup. I used the Auto MCACC to let the system set everything up itself and here I am.

Thanks,

B
You need to get a Blu-ray disc with an Atmos soundtrack and make sure the player is set to bitstream with secondary audio turned off. That's first and foremost before you can say you did something wrong. Anything that alters the raw audio bitstream like going through a tablet or something similar will strip out the Atmos extension data and all you have left is the core channel-based track.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello all,

Newbie here. I've poured through the forum and can't quite find the answer to a pretty easy (question). I've got a PE SC-95 and am running an old school 5.1 speaker system (historic small townhouse and no way to run the additional speakers).

I have the speakers selected to the 5.2 channel surround system & ZONE 2/ZONE 3 connection (Multi Zone) and I have the second SW off. I have my rear speakers connected via the SL SR terminals (not SBL/SBR). When I go to channel level, all of the speakers (center, FL, FR, SW, SR, SL) test perfectly.

Is that the right speaker configuration for a 5.1 system? I see that there are multiple selections, many including bi-amping and others including 5.1 plus other zones. Which is the right one for plain old 5.1?

Many thanks all.
you should select 7.2.2 fh mode, all unexistence speakers will be diabled during mcacc auto calibration.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Thanks,

B
Take a look at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/2272002-atmos-over-arc.html

I am not sure your TV will be able to send out the required metadata to enable Atmos. You should try with bitstreaming from an Atmos encoded blue ray or it looks like the Vudu app on the Roku 4. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
you should select 7.2.2 fh mode, all unexistence speakers will be diabled during mcacc auto calibration.
thanks! i had my rear speakers set up in the SBR SBL position but moved them to SR SL and it works. What threw me is the Pioneer diagram which shows SR SL on the sides vs behind the viewer.

Also, the MCACC sets my front and center speakers to large (I have B&W CM2 bookshelf speakers). not as much bass gets sent to my sub. Would you all set the speakers to small and let the sub carry the weight or leave as-is.

FWIW, i love this receiver and think it sounds amazing. it also runs much cooler than my old PE.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have a PE SC-95 on the way to compare to the Marantz 7702MKII. I will be using it as a pre-amp in my system as it is already set-up that way.

I have read through a bunch of pages but with there being 95 I thought it would be easier to ask if there is any news on the DTS-X update and when it might be available.

Thanks in advance and any advice you may offer for a quick set-up. I am already familiar with PE receivers though having owned the VSX-09TX and still have a SC-25 that is being used in the living room system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
SCs capable of HDR throughput for 4K without HDMI 2.0a?

Odd question...maybe.
The SC-95 -and other Elite Receivers - are featuring HDR support. However, aren't the HDMI ports 'only' 2.0? Doesn't HDR need 2.0a to support it's metadata stream?
Or are the ports 2.0a after all (there seems to be a discussion around this)?

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Odd question...maybe.
The SC-95 -and other Elite Receivers - are featuring HDR support. However, aren't the HDMI ports 'only' 2.0? Doesn't HDR need 2.0a to support it's metadata stream?
Or are the ports 2.0a after all (there seems to be a discussion around this)?
HDMI 2.0a from HDMI 2.0 only requires a firmware update. My Marantz pre-amp had to have one in order to enable HDR pass-through.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
HDMI 2.0a from HDMI 2.0 only requires a firmware update. My Marantz pre-amp had to have one in order to enable HDR pass-through.
Is the firmware available for the 95?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
How do you select top middle on the 95?

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Is the firmware available for the 95?

There was only one listed on the Pioneer website. If you haven't plugged an ethernet cable into the back of the unit and connected to the internet, you should. It did make some mention of HDMI in the change log. Hmmm...

2801 - 2820 of 8236 Posts