AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 8260 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there
I recently bought the Europeen version of the Elite SC 95, the SC-LX 59. This after noon I turned it on and * UPDATING was showing on the main panel, with the little star going on and off !!!! and then . . . . nothing; it has been like that for 4 hours now, the remote is inoperant just like the front panel:confused: . I can't turn it off; in fact there nothing I can do but I guess unplug it but I won't do that . I don't think That it could be the new firmware ? On a sunday, it doesn't make any sense:confused:. If someone has an idea ?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been looking at this receiver as well and all I will say is talk to your local A/V dealer. $1,299 is good, but I have been offered the SC-95 at a lower price, and without sales tax (thank you NYS) that is another $100 savings.
It seems like it didnt go on sale at BB this week. I believe i made elite status rewards so i can wait for it to go on sale to get refunded for sales price. Sc-95 that is.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have been looking at this receiver as well and all I will say is talk to your local A/V dealer. $1,299 is good, but I have been offered the SC-95 at a lower price, and without sales tax (thank you NYS) that is another $100 savings.
Who did you contact to get a better price?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi there
I recently bought the Europeen version of the Elite SC 95, the SC-LX 59. This after noon I turned it on and * UPDATING was showing on the main panel, with the little star going on and off !!!! and then . . . . nothing; it has been like that for 4 hours now, the remote is inoperant just like the front panel:confused: . I can't turn it off; in fact there nothing I can do but I guess unplug it but I won't do that . I don't think That it could be the new firmware ? On a sunday, it doesn't make any sense:confused:. If someone has an idea ?
Thanks a lot.
I just checked the Pioneer website that lists the latest firmware for your SC-LX59 and there is no new update listed for it.
http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/uk/firmware_update/735
It looks like the last update was Dec 09th 2015 which is one day after the us models got theirs.

If the unit is still unresponsive, you should try a full reset. Press and hold both the Enter key and the Standby button on the front panel for at least 10 seconds until it powers off. then you can also unplug the unit from the power supply. for 30 second or so. Once you plug it back in and power it up, it should be reset to factory settings with the last firmware that was properly added.
Good luck, let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Was in Magnolia today to get the price match on the SC-95 and they told me the HDR/DTS-X update isn't expected to drop until late April/early May. I sincerely hope he is wrong. What's more frustrating is my $500 Pioneer VSX-45 passes HDR without issue. That really irks me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Was in Magnolia today to get the price match on the SC-95 and they told me the HDR/DTS-X update isn't expected to drop until late April/early May. I sincerely hope he is wrong. What's more frustrating is my $500 Pioneer VSX-45 passes HDR without issue. That really irks me.
What price did you get? Price match with who?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What price did you get? Price match with who?
Thanks.
I picked up the SC-95 yesterday at Best Buy for $1599 and it dropped to $1299 today. I really needed the AVR which is why I bought yesterday knowing full well it would drop today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the quick answer.
After 5 hours like that I tried to press the power button for more than 5 sec and the unit went off. When I turned it on again everything was back to normal. I don't know what happened as there is no new firmware out yet ( anytime soon?) I was reluctant to do this at first in case a new firmware was being installed . . .Mysteries of technology!
Anyway, as I am on the forum , I have a question ; this amp is not my first Pioneer, and when I used to set the volume to -22 to watch a bluray on the previous AVR , I need to set this one to -12, sometimes -10 (for a dolby 2.0 internet file) to get the equivalent volume. It's not a real problem but has anyone noticed it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks for the quick answer.
After 5 hours like that I tried to press the power button for more than 5 sec and the unit went off. When I turned it on again everything was back to normal. I don't know what happened as there is no new firmware out yet ( anytime soon?) I was reluctant to do this at first in case a new firmware was being installed . . .Mysteries of technology!
Anyway, as I am on the forum , I have a question ; this amp is not my first Pioneer, and when I used to set the volume to -22 to watch a bluray on the previous AVR , I need to set this one to -12, sometimes -10 (for a dolby 2.0 internet file) to get the equivalent volume. It's not a real problem but has anyone noticed it?
Thanks.
Yes, I've noticed that the volume (at least with non-LPCM audio) needs to be ~10 dB higher to get similar loudness as relative to my previous receiver (Pioneer VSX-1121K), which I'd had for ~4 years previous to getting this. I'm not dissatisfied with the audio quality, but had noticed this as well.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that the volume (at least with non-LPCM audio) needs to be ~10 dB higher to get similar loudness as relative to my previous receiver (Pioneer VSX-1121K), which I'd had for ~4 years previous to getting this. I'm not dissatisfied with the audio quality, but had noticed this as well.
assuming you guys have the same speakers as you did before, and all you did was change the receiver, here is something to consider...

Did the older AVRs that you both had stop at 0db or did they also go up to +12db as these new ones do? If the old one stopped at 0db on the volume then that would explain the 10db difference since these new ones go past 0db all the way up to +12db. You also have to take into account how much more these new ones might be pulling out when they calibrate. So you would need to know what the gain setting was per channel with your old settings vs the new ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up the SC-95 yesterday at Best Buy for $1599 and it dropped to $1299 today. I really needed the AVR which is why I bought yesterday knowing full well it would drop today.
I was tempted to do it, but I've grown increasingly frustrated with Best Buy, their Magnolia dept. and their salesman. Congrats on scoring a unit though.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
assuming you guys have the same speakers as you did before, and all you did was change the receiver, here is something to consider...
Yes, the speakers are the same (aside from the two Klipsch Atmos up-firing modules I added when I received my SC-95).

Did the older AVRs that you both had stop at 0db or did they also go up to +12db as these new ones do?
My 1121K went up to somewhere in the +10-+12 dB range. I never had to turn it up that loud though, whereas while playing a few movies since putting in the SC-95, I've had to occasionally turn it up to +1-+3 dB, depending on the specific title.

If the old one stopped at 0db on the volume then that would explain the 10db difference since these new ones go past 0db all the way up to +12db. You also have to take into account how much more these new ones might be pulling out when they calibrate. So you would need to know what the gain setting was per channel with your old settings vs the new ones.
I passed on my old receiver, so I don't know what the settings were exactly. They were the result of an MCACC calibration, like what I did with the new receiver after installing it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That is pretty lame. Sc91 has had the 2.0a update for how long now. They really should have released that part of it at the sate time.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That is pretty lame. Sc91 has had the 2.0a update for how long now. They really should have released that part of it at the sate time.
It is certainly irritating. I like its performance, but I am seriously considering changing to another brand...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sc91 came out way after upper sc receivers. Are you sure sc91 actually has 2.0a update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sc91 came out way after upper sc receivers. Are you sure sc91 actually has 2.0a update?
Considering the changelog for the latest firmware I would say it is confirmed:

Ver 1-284-009-507-193
- Support transmission of HDR(High Dynamic Range) signal adopted by next generation 4k Blu-ray.
- Improve the stability of HDMI connection.
- Improve the stability of NETWORK features.
- Improve the stability of iPod/USB features.
- Other improvement.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well the SC-95 is listed at 1599 on bestbuys website today. No sale. Grrrr

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well the SC-95 is listed at 1599 on bestbuys website today. No sale. Grrrr
From what I've read in these threads they almost never decrease the price on the website, it's just the Magnolia in store price that is adjusted. What I'm also wondering since the nearest Magnolia store is 2.5 hours away from me is if a normal Best Buy store can order me one and price match the Magnolia in store price and also let me use a movers coupon for another 10% discount. Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
From what I've read in these threads they almost never decrease the price on the website, it's just the Magnolia in store price that is adjusted. What I'm also wondering since the nearest Magnolia store is 2.5 hours away from me is if a normal Best Buy store can order me one and price match the Magnolia in store price and also let me use a movers coupon for another 10% discount. Anyone know?
I'm not sure why everyone insists on going to Best Buy. This receiver can easily be had for less if you just visit your local AV store and ask for a lower price. I'm about to pull the trigger on the SC-95 and Best Buy is hundreds more expensive than my local store. Don't be afraid to ask for a fair price.

1241 - 1260 of 8260 Posts