AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a DV-37 with an Elite monitor? I have a 510HD and have just ordered the DV-37. I would be interested in any comments on the following:

1) Is the 480p output with a component cable superior to using 480i combined with the Elite monitor's line doubler?

2) Assuming the 480p input is superior, I would still want to use 480i on 4X3 material and non-anamorphic DVDs since the 480p input would lock the monitor in FULL mode. My guess is that a component cable would pass the 480i signal to the monitor and the 510HD line doubler would kick in. Would there be any need to have an additional S-Video line?

3) What are your opinions on the DV-37? I have read the Perfect Vision review that gave it a 5 star rating (" the DV-37 rewards with an amazingly film-like picture. And unlike many players, "film-like" here isn't a euphemism for "soft". Colors and textures are beautifully natural, and the nearly silent background gives the overall picture an almost 3D feeling of realism and depth.") I have also read the DVD Shootout results that report chroma bug/ combing problems on the DV-37 with certain material. Are current DV-37 owners seeing any of these problems?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've had this player for about 3 months now. Enjoy it thoroughly. As far as I know there is no need to connect both outputs.

On my 34" Sony I have not noticed any chroma probs but I imagine they may be much more noticable on the 100" sets out there. As for progressive, the 37, when set for auto-detect on the back, will drop out of progressive on anamorphic material. The Progressive scan of my monitor then kicks in. I never noticed any diff, but this is not the Elite monitor. (I would have liked one however you have to draw a line somewhere!)

I did set the 37 to stay in progressive all the time. Just try it on your set and see which way works for you.

Don't worry about it until you try it, is my motto.

4:3? I haven't played anything 4:3 yet on it. I guess some old stuff and music videos are 4:3 but I haven't got any yet...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.