AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the new DVD player from Pioneer at CEDIA and it looks quite impressive with its 14 bit 216Mhz Video section and an HDMI output , but no one at the booth could tell what the MPEG decoder was or whether or not they had solved the "Chroma Bug" problem . Does anyone have any other info that might be more informative ?

Scott............:confused:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I hope it doesn't. :) I have ~$1500 in my pocket that I want to spend on a high end (Pioneer) player that doesn't have the chroma bug, that does have excellent audio, and that is built with a chassis structure, power supplies, and shielding/isolation such that it weighs more than 20 lbs. I'm tired of upgrading DVD players every year or so. :)

Pioneer 414, 333, 05, 45a, 47ai, ...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zoro
Is 57ai, supposed to have silicone image chip, like denon 2900?

http://www.cmd.com/press/09_05_03.asp
As far as I can see besides the 59AVi, Meridian is the only other maunfacturer with a DVD player that has the Silicone Image chips.

Here's a list from thier site of components that have the PanelLink Cinema SiIâ„¢ 9190â„¢ transmitter and SiI 9993â„¢ receiver:

Panasonic projection TV: PT-53WXD63 (53-inch)

Panasonic plasma TVs (2): TH-42PX20 (42-inch) and TH-50PX20 (50-inch)

Panasonic LCD displays (2): TC-32LH1 (32-inch) and TC-22LH1 (22-inch)

Pioneer Eliteâ„¢ DVD Player: DV-59AVi

Pioneer PureVisionâ„¢ plasma TVs (4): PRO-1110HD (50-inch), PRO-910HD (43-inch), PDP-5040HD (50-inch) and PDP-4340HD (43-inch)

Pioneer Elite projection TVs (2): PRO-730HDI (64-inch) and PRO-530HDI (53-inch)

Pioneer Elite PureVision plasma monitors (2): PRO-1000HDI (50-inch) and PRO-800HDI (43-inch)

Sony projectors (3): VPL-HS3, VPL-HS20 and Qualia 004 (ships this winter)

Meridian DVD-A transport: G98

Meridian DVD-A controller: G91DH

Meridian DVD-A player: 800

SIM2 Grand Cinema projector: HT300 LINK

Best Regards,

patrick

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
So, 59vi, has silicon image? denon 5900, does not?
I guess, unless they forgot to put it in thier press release.

From my understanding the Denon 5900 has a DVI output, not HDMI like the 59AVi.

Not only that, but I heard the DVI port won't even be activated in its initial release (which seems odd to me, and I cannot confirm that).

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Oh, I am sorry, my question was DE INTERLACER CHIP? in 5900 vs 57AVI, ?

Any pictures, big of 57avi, specs, etc, in detail?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Oh, I am sorry, my question was DE INTERLACER CHIP? in 5900 vs 57AVI, ?

Any pictures, big of 57avi, specs, etc, in detail?
Ahhh.. my bad. Sorry about that! Pioneer lists some of the features in thier press area, you could look there.

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
I saw Pics, at secret web site, but does not look like a 20 lb machine to me, looks, very simillar to 47ai..If u see denon 2900, 5900, then now we r talking weights, those look like recievers, and surely will weigh around 20lbs? btw..how much Marantz 8400 weigh?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Is 57ai, supposed to have silicone image chip, like denon 2900?

http://www.cmd.com/press/09_05_03.asp
Zoro,

No, the Pioneer uses there proprietary PureCinema deinterlacer. For some reason Pioneer thinks they have a better system then some of the proven Sil and Faroudja solutions. Unfortunatley, they're wrong.

-phil

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
Zoro,

No, the Pioneer uses there proprietary PureCinema deinterlacer. For some reason Pioneer thinks they have a better system then some of the proven Sil and Faroudja solutions. Unfortunatley, they're wrong.

-phil
Phil,

This is what another member said after talking to a Rep. at Cedia (I think). Who knows how true it is. :confused:

Quote:

1. They are no longer using Mitsubishi MPEG decoders. they are now using STMicro. I don't know if it has the bug or not, but they tell me it does not.

In the FWIW category ;)

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...a little more info from Widescreen Review...

http://db.widescreenreview.com/weekn...d=40890&-find=

...if memory serves , as I can't find Stacey's post , the MPEG decoder that Pioneer is using now is the same as one of the Denon's that does not have the CUE . His comment related to the fact that all of Denon's efforts in forcing the MPEG chip designers to correct the CUE problem would then benefit Pioneer . Let's hope that is true .

Scott.....................;)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Pioneer has switched to STMicro. The previous Pioneer players and Denon 2900 used Mitsubishi. The new 5900 from Denon has gone back to ESS like the 3800 and 9000.

The Pioneer TiVo / DVD recorder has a DCDi logo on the front, but that was designed by a different division within Pioneer. (different from DVD player line.)

·
Banned
761 Posts
I would like to know if the HDMI port can be used with a HDMI to DVI-D adapter to connect to a tv and then port the audio via the traditional optical/toslink. It kind of defeats the purpose of HDMI, but most people that bought TVs this year only have DVI inputs. Also what's up with the scaler, is it selectable to output 1080i or 720p? What about the iLink, is it only for audio? or can it pass video as well? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Haghighi
I would like to know if the HDMI port can be used with a HDMI to DVI-D adapter to connect to a tv and then port the audio via the traditional optical/toslink. It kind of defeats the purpose of HDMI, but most people that bought TVs this year only have DVI inputs. Also what's up with the scaler, is it selectable to output 1080i or 720p? What about the iLink, is it only for audio? or can it pass video as well? Anyone?
As far as I know there is a adapter for HDMI to DVI, but ONLY for Video. But the 59AVi also has a COAX and Fiber-optic output for audio. As well as i.Link, Which is only for audio, and can do DSD (SACD audio) direct.

Hope this helps,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avaholic
As far as I know there is a adapter for HDMI to DVI, but ONLY for Video. But the 59AVi also has a COAX and Fiber-optic output for audio. As well as i.Link, Which is only for audio, and can do DSD (SACD audio) direct.

Hope this helps,

Patrick
HDMI carries both video and uncompressed audio signals. HDMI is also backward compatible with DVI. However, since DVI is video only, it is logical that only the video signal through an HDMI output is transmitted to the DVI input of the display when an HDMI-->DVI adapter is used.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.