AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one with a comment on what is the better dvd player here??

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had both. I returned the 2200 for the 45a mainly because my wife HATED the usability-factor of the 2200. Here's my take:

Build Quality:

About the same. The 45a is smaller and thinner thus lighter. Both seem to be assembled fairly well but the tray on both are flimsy. You'd expect that for the $200+ premium (over the 45a) Denon could have invested a bit more design into the tray though...

PQ:

The 2200 wins hands down. The 2200 does output a softer image. Most consider this a desirable attribute. However my tastes differ. I like the image sharper, however the 45a does have sharpness and contrast controls that allow some adjusabillity. The 2200 is better only because the the 45a forfeits here. The 45a has the CUE bug but it's not too bad if you can live with it. But the combing on this unit is Horable!! For instance, in Shreck, at the end of the movie where they do the karaoke bit, the 45a combs more than Vidal Sasoon!! It was bad and very disappointing that a component with "ELITE" branding could fail so miserably.

Usability:

The 2200 does take a bit of getting used-to. The 45a, aside from the stupid jog wheel, the 45a is easier to use.

Functionality:

Layer change in the 45a is definitely noticeable but not bad. The 2200 supposedly has an 8 meg buffer so that there is no stutter. However, I had a problem with the Laura Croft DVD on a layer change (new DVD right out of the shrink-wrap). A layer change on the DVD threw it for a loop and it couldn't recover without a complete power-off and tray eject about 4 times before I could get the player to work again. The 45a had no problems with this whatsoever. A fluke?...maybe.

Overall:

The 2200 is the better unit, however bare in mind that the 2200 is $200+ more than the 45a, so you would expect it to be better anyhow. Again, the 45a errors forfeit the "better" comparison.

I've returned both for the DV-59Avi...should arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your reply.info was very helpful. im going to audition both players im most interested in the audio section of the players. thanks again .....ric.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
Milenkod

Would definitely like to hear what you think of the DV-59Avi.
Scratch that...I should have it by Thursday....won't be able to assess until the weekend. I have a 1 month and 15 month old and work late this whole week. I'll give my impression in a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.