AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the airport today and I browsed through the HI-FI magazines. The February / March 2004 edition of Sound & Vision magazine did a brief features review of the brand new Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. They said that it has a list price of $1800 USD and that it supports both DVD +/- R/RW formats. Can any current owners confirm this through firsthand experience or through the manual? Please reply as soon as possible because I'm going to be making a purchasing decision in the next few days. By the way, I do have the Plextor PX-708UF DVD +/- R/RW burner and I would prefer to use DVD +R/RW media at 8X speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C'mon guys! Someone out there must own a Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi! May I please ask you to confirm whether this model can read DVD +R/RW format discs? Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. It's just I had to run this question by current owners. Sound & Vision's February / March 2004 article on a whole assortment of universal players was just two pages long and it had not one paragraph devoted to the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi. So, I can use DVD +R/RW with it, right?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi supports the DVD +R/RW format, then why is it not stated in its' official literature? I thought that both Pioneer and SONY were proponents of the DVD +R/RW formats (but I could be wrong)?

Jeff Williams:

Did you happen to try different branded DVD +R/RW media such as Memorex, SONY, Taiyo Yuden, etc.?

I'm sorry to bring up this thread once again but my big refund check is coming next week. This is obviously important enough of an issue for me given that I have a dual format DVD burner. I wanted to make sure that not just one brand of DVD +R/RW media works while others do not. Would someone mind checking for me (again)? This is a $1600 USD MSRP DVD player! Thanks a million. Without the help of my fellow AVS Forum members, I would probably discounted the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi from my short buy list. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply but I wanted to know specifically if different +R/RW media brands have worked successfully with the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi. In other words, can it play back Memorex, Maxell, SONY, Imation, etc. DVD +R AND DVD +RW discs? I'd appreciate someone to field test this for me. It's really funny because the front picture of this model has the RW icon which to me means that it supports the DVD +R & DVD +RW formats. Am I right? And why don't they say so on the official Pioneer website information?

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
Welly Wu - I cannot address your question directly, but can give you some background on Pioneer's DVD drives.

Pioneer was and still is a staunch supporter and one of the developers I believe of the DVD-R / -RW formats. Their DVD recorder drives for the PC are highly regarded by PC hardware reviewers. Sony was one of the supporters of the +R/+RW formats, as was HP. In the PC world, the -R/-RW formats were considered better for compatibility with set top DVD players. +R/+/RW players had more compatibility problems at first. By now, both formats may have equal compatibility with standard DVD players.

That being said, Pioneer has joined Sony and others in making DVDR drives for PC's that support both formats and all media. I happen to own a Pioneer DV47Ai player and the manual only seems to mention -R/-RW. That would not be surprising since again, Pioneer was an early backer of that format.

I have not tried the player with either -R or +R discs so have no knowledge if the player can only play -R. However, it's logical that Pioneer would use the same drive in both its home audio players that it uses in PC's. And those drives do support both - and +. But that's no guarantee.

Its unfortunate that this is the consequence of format wars...it really does the user no good in deciding what product to buy. Jeff Williams has stated success with both, and I hope more folks who own the new 59Avi can definitely confirm that both are supported. I have a 59Avi on order, so am also interested in the answer for future use. In my case, its not as important since I had planned on getting a DVD-R drive when prices came down and now there are recorders that do both.

BTW- I have read in Maximum PC that the Plextor is a screamer. I have several Plextor CDR/RW drives and they are very high quality.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ss9001:

Thanks for the information and the brief history of the development of the DVD + / - R/RW formats. I'm going to trust Mr. Williams. I'm also going to trust the February / March 2004 edition of Sound & Vision magazine too. Since I am in a position to try this out for myself, I will duly report back with my findings over the next coming weeks. I will buy various brands of DVD +R/RW media and test it all like heck. My gut tells me that the prominent RW logo found on the lower left hand corner of the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi really means that it does in fact support the DVD +R/RW format. However, I think that Pioneer given its' history in the development of the standard DVD -R/RW format will not publically announce their intention to support the other competing DVD +R/RW format. Politics seems to no know boundaries outside the hallowed halls of the White House & US Congress, no? My gut tells me to trust fellow AVS Forum members and the Sound & Vision magazine. I will report back with extensive findings in the near future. I'll keep this thread alive so others can benefit from whatever findings I come up with.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Will the DV59AVi play Mp3's off of DVD??

·
Registered
10,402 Posts
I believe so based on the fact that the 47Ai will and it was last year's flagship model. The Sound&Vision article (2 pages), also lists as MP3 compatible as does Pioneer's web site info.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have no DVD disk in ANY format (except of DVD-RAM - it doesn't fit) that my 47Ai couldn't read, including not finalized DVD-/+R/RW, the same with my old Pioneer DV-530 ... All Pioneer players , starting from 525, support DVD+ format ... and - is their native ...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sorry for the long absence. I lost track of the post. As for the DVD+R/RW issue, I have tried Memorex DVD+R and TDK & Sony DVD+RW. So far, no problems.

From my own experience, MP3 DVDs will not work. I can mess around some more if guys would like, but it doesn't look hopeful.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.