AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Pioneer Elite EX500. It's a slim-line AV receiver and separate DVD player. Stacked together, the two units are just a bit less tall than most AV receivers. System comes with a single remote.

1. DVD Player. Full stand-alone DVD player. Component, S-Video, optical, coax and 5.1 audio outputs. Pioneer remote SR in/out jack. Compatible with SACD, MP3, DVD-R, DVD-RW, Kodak and Fujicolor CD. Looks good playing on my set. Easy setup screens. The 5.1 decoder is pretty sophisticated with a lot of setup options.

2. Receiver. No component switching, no upconvert from baseband to S-Video. Coax and 1 optical input assignable between TV/Sat and DVD in. Other optical fixed on the VCR/DVR input. 3rd optical input on front panel. Video inputs, TV/Sat, DVD, DVR, Video all with l/r audio, composite and S-Video in. No S-video out on the DVR/VCR function. Composite and S-video monitor outs. Front panel A/V input has an optical, composite and l/r audio. (no S on front). Slim, quiet fan on rear. Non-motorized volume button, volume display is a small "-xx db" in the vacuum fluorescent display.

Neat feature: microphone based auto-setup function to tune your room.

The owners manual conflicts with Pioneer's website on the power rating. The website claims 100 wpc, the owner's manual says 42wpc FTC, 100wpc at 10%thd.

Cons: Didn't come with any S-video cables in the box. No component switching. Remote doesn't work my DirectTiivo or my Phillips SVHS. The tivo Remote does work the pioneer though, so that puts me down to two remotes on the couch.

Pro's: Fits in my space. DVD looks a bit better than average and is compatible with a lot of stuff that's important to me. (DVDR/W CDR/W etc).

Interesting factoid: Manual mentions interoperability with 5040 and other yet to be released Pioneer plasmas by model number, by means of SR+ remote jumper wire.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.