AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple of questions related to the "Purecinema" setting on my Pro-610HD.

My understanding is that this setting controls whether the line doubler does 3:2 pulldown. I don't understand why there are three settings for this control, i.e., Off, STD and HQ. I though a line doubler either does 3:2 pulldown or it doesn't. The instructions don't really talk about the difference between STD and HQ; does anybody here know the difference?

My second question refers to Purecinema and artifacting. When watching medium quality sources (usually DBS satellite, but sometimes even the "making of" featurettes and "deleted scenes" on DVDs), I notice digital artifacting. Not motion artifacts, but still ones, less severe but similar to the anti-aliasing artifacts around the "Windows 98" text on the bootup screen when starting a Windows machine. The artifacts are most noticable on text, but can also be seen on teeth, lips and other sharp transitions if I'm sitting close to the screen. Turning purecinema off greatly reduces these artifacts, even if the source I'm watching is a video source like a newscast. I thought that the 3:2 pulldown was only supposed to happen on 24FPS material, and that the circuit should have no effect on video based sources. Any comments on this would be helpful, too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is a good thread, potentially. I have left the PureCinema "on" since the beginning and

it never occured to me to try watching non-movie source with the setting "off".

I need to try this and then post some viewing results.

Good idea!

regards,

patrick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.