AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it finally happened the greatest TV ever made for those in the know. So, its now a blank screen and is hissing. its been 13 years and the question anything yet that can match the picture quality? I guess ill replace instead of fixing. Whats the recommendation? If nothing matches it yet ill go ahead and just get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
So it finally happened the greatest TV ever made for those in the know. So, its now a blank screen and is hissing. its been 13 years and the question anything yet that can match the picture quality? I guess ill replace instead of fixing. Whats the recommendation? If nothing matches it yet ill go ahead and just get it fixed.
Several threads about this recently, just search for Kuro.

Basically, any of the late-model Sony OLEDs are an excellent choice (A9F/A9G/A8H). I had a Kuro 500M for 10 years and upgraded to the A9F a year ago. Best display I've ever owned, hands down. The only area where the plasma beats it is motion, but that's subjective and I've adjusted to OLED motion handling. Love the display; I've been going back through my 1080p Blu-rays and it's like watching them again for the first time, and of course 4K content looks outstanding.

The A8H is supposed to have motion handling on par with plasma when BFI (Black Frame Insertion) is enabled, so I'd say given where you're coming from, that's the best choice.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am still enjoying my Pioneer Pro-141FD and have yearned for a larger screen than my 60 inch but it still works and looks great. It will likely need to fail like yours before I replace it. Amazing how it has survived the test of time.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
My Sony 65A1E is the next best to my 5020 Kuro that DNIce bought. So OLED is your best bet vs LED. I don't think it is worth fixing 10+ year TV's.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You are basically forced to go with an OLED. Modern LCDs still don't offer the overall picture quality of your Pioneer. I have two LG OLEDs, even replaced my bedroom plasma with one, and I'm happy with it. There's a bit of panel lottery with these (my newer display has basically perfect uniformity, much better than the older one) and motion performance is very inferior to plasma, but I think you'll be pleased with HDR and the general performance of these displays. Sony does have slight advantages in processing but are much pricier and lack features. If you're a gamer you 100% will want the LG or one of the upcoming Vizio OLEDs.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You are basically forced to go with an OLED. Modern LCDs still don't offer the overall picture quality of your Pioneer. I have two LG OLEDs, even replaced my bedroom plasma with one, and I'm happy with it. There's a bit of panel lottery with these (my newer display has basically perfect uniformity, much better than the older one) and motion performance is very inferior to plasma, but I think you'll be pleased with HDR and the general performance of these displays. Sony does have slight advantages in processing but are much pricier and lack features. If you're a gamer you 100% will want the LG or one of the upcoming Vizio OLEDs.
Yeah, I was all flagship plasma from 2003 - late 2018 (Panasonic, then Pioneer, then Samsung). The motion handling on OLED (LG 65C8) can drive me batty, especially sports. I'm quite sensitive to it.

I discovered that a DVP-5000 Darblet video processor visibly helps motion and upscaling on the SDR cable input. It's pretty funny that the car chase scene through Tokyo in the original "Fast and Furious" is much more compelling and enjoyable on cable TV than it is on Blu Ray (Oppo 203) due to motion handling.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check out an OLED. Watch both the Sony or LG (or panasonic if you can get one in your country). As one of the posters mentioned its usually motion your mind has to adapt too. Its not that its wrong its different. If I can be frank its time to move on wanting to fix a 13 year technology is not worth it the advances in technology will give you a better experience. Dolby HDR is worth it alone.

The other thing to keep in mind is most likely your cables will need replacing and depending whether you have an AVR you may have to change the way devices are connected. If you get a Sony A9 it has built in audio which may help. So work out what you have and how compatible will be otherwise your upgrade may involve more components.

The very last thing OLED tvs are susceptible to burn in if you leave CNN on all day every day. Understand your veiwing habits. The only alternative is a top end LCD TV.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Long live the Kuro! I just replaced my 5020 with an 65" LG OLED CX and was blown away with the picture quality. As others have said, the HDR and Dolby Vision are not trivial improvements.

Reactions: mikeyf and skip61

·
Registered
242 Posts
Long live the Kuro! I just replaced my 5020 with an 65" LG OLED CX and was blown away with the picture quality. As others have said, the HDR and Dolby Vision are not trivial improvements.
What did you do with your Kuro?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i went with sony a8h, im still debating on returning and getting the a9g, but a8h pretty good. I have a solid soundbar setup so the sound qaulity the a9g offers is no big deal for me. I still cant say the a8h picture was better but i cant really compare it now since the other TV is a dead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So i went with sony a8h, im still debating on returning and getting the a9g, but a8h pretty good. I have a solid soundbar setup so the sound qaulity the a9g offers is no big deal for me. I still cant say the a8h picture was better but i cant really compare it now since the other TV is a dead.
Understanding that you can't do a side-by-side since the other TV is dead, what are your thoughts on motion handling on the A8H versus your plasma? Any other general thoughts on the OLED as compared to the Kuro? I'd be curious to hear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The a8h motion is good they are getting close i can definitely notice the lag or something is off compared to even the samsung plasma i have, but its Not something thats any annoyance its really close , but plasma is still better.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The a8h motion is good they are getting close i can definitely notice the lag or something is off compared to even the samsung plasma i have, but its Not something thats any annoyance its really close , but plasma is still better.
Are you using black frame insertion? If so, which level?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you using black frame insertion? If so, which level?
Yes its on set to auto. The level i checked in auto was set to 2. I understand that 1 and 2 are the highest settings , when get some time will play with it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Check out an OLED. Watch both the Sony or LG (or panasonic if you can get one in your country). As one of the posters mentioned its usually motion your mind has to adapt too. Its not that its wrong its different. If I can be frank its time to move on wanting to fix a 13 year technology is not worth it the advances in technology will give you a better experience. Dolby HDR is worth it alone.

The other thing to keep in mind is most likely your cables will need replacing and depending whether you have an AVR you may have to change the way devices are connected. If you get a Sony A9 it has built in audio which may help. So work out what you have and how compatible will be otherwise your upgrade may involve more components.

The very last thing OLED tvs are susceptible to burn in if you leave CNN on all day every day. Understand your veiwing habits. The only alternative is a top end LCD TV.
Solid advice here - but anyone coming from a plasma wont end up liking an LCD. The absolute top models are definitely better than the others and theyve made strides. But, when the lights go down and movies start rolling, LCDs still just dont quite cut it. Thats where anyone that is used to an emissive display will benefit from an OLED.

And dont watch CNN..... :)

Reactions: Bruce2019

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Update: Just saw you already got an oled.. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am still enjoying my Pioneer Pro-141FD and have yearned for a larger screen than my 60 inch but it still works and looks great. It will likely need to fail like yours before I replace it. Amazing how it has survived the test of time.
any OLED will be a pretty huge improvement from a 141FD even though its a great set.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Buy a used 101fd Kuro (the flagship Kuro model) and tweak the voltages. You can find one on eBay for $500 or less I'm sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't like Dolby vision or HDR because they look really unnatural. Very over processed with a ton of oversaturation. That's what is popular now but i still preferer reference level color accuracy, I'm a dying breed!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts