AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've enjoyed my Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX receiver over the past 10 years. Now that I'm in the HD realm with my other components,I'd like to upgrade the receiver. I've noticed that in a mid-range receiver, Pioneer has released the 1020, which has most (not all) of the features that I'd like. It lacks a phono input, but then so does my current receiver. On the other hand, the Elite SC25 or SC27's have everything I need plus more. My question is this: Other than features and likely more power, etc., how much, if at all, would one notice the difference in sound quality if I upgraded to one of the new standard Pioneer units like the new 1020, which in a sense, would be a "downgrade" in that it's not from the Elite line? I'd like to stay within the Elite line, but the prices are really high. I'd love to hear from someone as to their opinions on this subject. Would getting a "regular" Pioneer midrange receiver be a good upgrade from my 10-year old Elite 33TX (still going strong, BTW, but I would like HDMI, iPhone connectivity, and GUI options at this point in my home theatre setup.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you thought of auditioning the VSX-23TXH? Like you, I used to have a 33TX, and it sounds far better than the 33TX for blu ray's. In addition it has a better amp section than the regular Pioneer. You should go to Best Buy and audition 23TXh, and see what you think.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I second that notion of looking at the Elite 23. For that matter even the Elite 21 would be an improvement over the regular Pioneer line model 1020. Both the 23 & 21 are approx 10 lbs heavier than the 1020 in the same size case. Those 10 lbs had to account for something and that is in the amp section. IMO, going with the 1020 or its predecessor, the 1019 would be a downgrade in sound quality from what you have now. Check out the AVS forum classified for great deals on the current Elite line and see if they do not suddenly become more affordable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts