AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the year 2010 comes to a close, I just wanted to say that after owning my 151 for over two years, it is still the best TV EVER in my opinion. Haven't had any problem with it at all. My friends, who have newer models from other brand names (including 2010) are completely in awe of how beautiful the picture is when watching movies & games. The picture seems so real that at times you just feel like you're a part of it. Thanks to D-nice; I followed his recommendations when purchased, calibrated it after break in, and after two years the picture is simply amazing. It has been worth the priced that I paid for it--a cadillac! Now I know that there will be disagreement on my opinion, that's okay, but my friend has a new panasonic 58" 3d, and he says that the HD picture is still better on the 151. I just know that I am a happy man, but wish that PIONEER would produce a 3d on a one time basis. It probably would "crush" the competition.

·
Registered
498 Posts
No doubt the Pio Elites were/are the best way to go for those who want the fewest issues with picture quality. Despite knowing this I still will not buy the Pio Elite, even though I have happily owned their 53" Elite RPTV for years.

Support is my issue. Having been burned with poor manufacturer support for a Proceed PMDT and the failure of Theta to keep my CBIII up to date I am very wary of buying from a company exiting the consumer display business. Problems can occur with any brand at any price.

However, I am not thrilled with my choices this year between the Panny 65" and Sammy 63" plasmas.

Perhaps I should wait until next year (if my dying Elite RPTV can hang on) for a plasma.

My plans were to add a front projector and screen after I got the plasma but maybe I should reverse that plan and go for a pj now and the plasma later???

What would you do? Why?

Thanks!

bp

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is amazing that any electronic device, especially a TV can still be considered the best after two years. I can not think of another product in the electronic or audio/video world that can make that claim.

I know someday the 9g Kuros will be surpassed but for now there is none better. With the push towards 3D instead of refining PQ who knows maybe the Kuro will remain on top a couple of years longer.

I am in awe everyday watching my D-Nice calibrated 600M.

barry

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Love my 500m as well.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Should have gotten a 500m when I had the chance. What's a little debt for the greatest display ever made?

·
Registered
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 /forum/post/19514092

It is amazing that any electronic device, especially a TV can still be considered the best after two years. I can not think of another product in the electronic or audio/video world that can make that claim.

I know someday the 9g Kuros will be surpassed but for now there is none better. With the push towards 3D instead of refining PQ who knows maybe the Kuro will remain on top a couple of years longer.

I am in awe everyday watching my D-Nice calibrated 600M.

barry

Equally important, when something does finally surpass the Kuros, the improvement will be so very slight that I don't believe that many owners will be in the least tempted to upgrade. In the meantime they will have enjoyed a picture that continues to impress in every way every time they turn the set on. It's not something you ever get used to. I don't believe that there is such a thing as a jaded Kuro owner. Thanks for the thread and the opportunity to express thanks at this time of the year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Your happiness makes me sad
. How can two years pass but we're going backwards with plasma picture quality? Ugh. Panasonic has all the resources but failed to deliver IMO.

Congrats... thanks for making the rest of us feel bad

·
Registered
627 Posts
The thing that makes the Kuros so great is that they do so many things really well. Not only do they have amazing black levels, but they also have the most linear gamma and greyscale of any tv I've ever seen.

·
Registered
796 Posts
500m owner chiming in. I have owned my 500m over a year now and it still amazes me just how good these things really are. I owned a pro 111 before this one and had to return it do to job uncertainty. My only issue with the 111 was the DSE, but I would have gladly overlooked that for the amazing PQ. The 500m has deeper blacks and they seemed to correct the DSE on these panels. Having the 500m calibrated and ISF modes activated, it's really hard to imagine better PQ than this. It's a shame pioneer left the business, I would gladly be saving for my next kuro if they were still around.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
As an owner of 2 8g kuros I can honestly say these are the best electronics purchases I've made in my 50 years. Just brilliant picture quality and still unmatched by the other manufacturers. Crazy but true and not even the best pio made. My only fear is the day I have to replace them and all that is available is some "super thin designer" display - probably not plasma - with dreck for picture quality (ala mp3 is for sound quality).

·
Banned
11,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy /forum/post/19518278

500m owner chiming in. I have owned my 500m over a year now and it still amazes me just how good these things really are. I owned a pro 111 before this one and had to return it do to job uncertainty. My only issue with the 111 was the DSE, but I would have gladly overlooked that for the amazing PQ. The 500m has deeper blacks and they seemed to correct the DSE on these panels. Having the 500m calibrated and ISF modes activated, it's really hard to imagine better PQ than this. It's a shame pioneer left the business, I would gladly be saving for my next kuro if they were still around.

You're making this 111FD owner jealous, Sonyboy.
If only I had known about the 500M when hunting down the 111...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clancy /forum/post/19518348

(ala mp3 is for sound quality).

OT but 320 kbps MP3s (2-channel) are hardly dreck for SQ.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Can't say enough good things about my 151 (esp since D-Nice calibrated it recently). Beautiful PQ. I remember when I first got it. The price was steep and I had that stomach turning feeling seeing that much leave the account. However, it's easily been worth it and then some. Looking back, happy as I can be to own one. I look forward to the day it's finally dethroned. Who ever figured that at the speed tech moves these days that the Kuro Elites would reign supreme for so long.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
One pic says it all about my Kuro. This is what blacks should look like.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was lucky to get one of the last available and even after all this time it still manages to amaze me. There's just nothing else that can compete. TVs have headed down either the route of 3D, or value, or both, and that was never the goal of the Elites. Picture quality was 1st and foremost and they'd stop at nothing to make the most of it. Current models don't share that philosophy. I want to upgrade another room with an Elite but tragically I'll never find one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have the kuro LX - PDP5090 model and its the best. I have grabbed it a few months before Pioneer pulled the plug. This tv and the technology is extraordinary! I think pioneer reached a level that cannot be surpassed by any. 2 years down the line and these TV continue to offer the best black level. Clarity and depth is supreme.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts