AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do believe that it is a first generation set, and that the current one (710) can be had for around $5000 new. Also, Pioneer is readying a product turn in the next few months that will make the 700 2 generations back. For $2000, its probably worth it, but close to 4k, I'd pass...

You can get really nice sets now in the 56-65 inch range for around $2000-3500 that are new, with current technology.

·
Registered
435 Posts
700hd had ALOT of problems. I seem to remenber Pioneer finally took some back and exchanged them with thex10 series.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot for your opinion.What about a Pioneer 50'' PDP-505HD Plasma TV for $3700 with little usage? Good buy? Good hdtv?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now the Plasma sounds like a good deal. Is there something wrong with it? I'm told by several retailers and installers that the large plasmas are somewhat unreliable, so as long as there is an extended warranty with it, personally I would buy it for that price. Also, though, the large plasmas are known to have problems with black levels and have grainy pictures on non HD material (ie regular TV)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Just wanted to second or third the opinion on the 700HD - don't buy this set at any price, it's really awful. I had one, and it was so bad that several of us got together on the 'net and embarassed Pioneer into exchanging them for the 710HD.

Specifically, the line doubler is really, really bad (horizontal banding on most material), and the convergence is only 9 point - so it's impossible for the average user to get it even reasonably well converged.

For the money you're talking about, go get a new Mitsubishi or Toshiba HD RPTV.

Just my 0.02

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot for your opnions. I was at a store & compared the 73" Mits , Pioneer Elite 64" (710), and 65" toshiba. The Pioneer had the most natural picture. I dont know how calibrated each set were, but they were not that much different. Is the 73" Mits a good buy for $6000 as Ive seen it for on the internet? Or will the prices drop if I wait since HDTV prices are coming down.

Also, is better to invest in a projector with sliding down screen?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.